teen stressing about calories :l read

Options
Im 14 and I'm not overweight. I eat healthy everyday. I eat home cooked meals that my grandmother makes at dinner usually. And she worries about me because I sometimes don't eat them.

I know I'm to young for MFP and I shouldn't really worry now. I'm always on calories and stressing,even though I do not count them.
I'm going to friendly's restraunt this Saturday and every time I eat out I get so ugh! About calories:( everything on the menu was pretty much 1,000 calories and higher. its everyday w/ this worry

I don't want to gain weight :l

I have this thing in my mind about weight and if I eat something not so healthy I think about it all night and guilt.

I'm to young for this,I honestly don't think it'll ever go away.

Replies

• ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Your young, enjoy being active while you can. One day about ten to fifteen years in the future you will wake up and the joint pain will make you want to cry, and you'll know it only gets worse. Don't worry about calories, there's really no point at your age if your active.
  • sunnyland
    sunnyland Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try and work things out with a therapist of some kind because it honestly sounds like you could be on the verge of developing and eating disorder, which can take a lifetime to recover from, if you ever do. So if you can deal with this and change your thoughts before this turns into a full fledged eating disorder it would be really good.
  • PrettyPrincess2011
    PrettyPrincess2011 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above me...)=I think you could be on the verge of disordered eating, and that wouldn't be good at all...especially since you're still growing and need lots and lots of nutrients and at least 3 meals a day, 8 glasses of water, and a good multivitamin. I recommend from personal experience, one a day for teens, or flinstone gummies. Please please please talk to your pediatrician about your worries about food, she/he can give you lots of advice. I don't think you need to worry about how many calories you are eating until you're at least 18. It's really good that you are not counting your calories, because this can lead to obsessive thoughts about food, and obsessive dieting. I would say to continue to eat healthy, but let yourself eat 'junkie stuff' like friendly's once in a while, as long as you're staying active, which is important anyway. Maybe you could ask your mom or grandma to sign you up at your local YMCA, they have tons of stuff for young people to do like basketball, ping-pong, swimming, etc. Also, if you're not on one already you could join one of the sports teams at your h.s., those are lots of fun! Hope you have a good time at friendly's and dont worry!^_^
  • saligator
    saligator Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    hey bikini brooke! girl, you need to take the weight of all that worry off your shoulders! you're only FOURTEEN!!!!! do u know how fast your metabollism is?? you can pretty much eat whatever you like and your metabollism with just eat it up! I think you're right to want to eat healthy, etc but you definitely do not need to worry about calories, it's just not healthy at your age. Why not try to focus on making sure you are getting all of your calcium and five portions of fruit and veg a day? (focus, not obsess over!!!)

if i were you i would talk to someone about how you are feeling and mayb check out the site www.bodywhys.ie for some advice and support.

Relax a little and enjoy a treat once in a while! come back to us if you are still feeling the same
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    There is far too much emphasis placed on the perfect body these days, too many teenagers are worrying about their bodies when they should be enjoying themselves!

You're a beautiful girl, and you do (as stated in your post) realise that you're not overweight :smile:

Go out and enjoy your meal, it's not like you're doing it every day :wink: Is the yucky feeling you get after because you are bloated, or because you're worried about your calorie intake? If it's because you feel bloated, just drink plenty of water with your meal...
  • bikinibrooke123
    Options
    There is far too much emphasis placed on the perfect body these days, too many teenagers are worrying about their bodies when they should be enjoying themselves!

You're a beautiful girl, and you do (as stated in your post) realise that you're not overweight :smile:

Go out and enjoy your meal, it's not like you're doing it every day :wink: Is the yucky feeling you get after because you are bloated, or because you're worried about your calorie intake? If it's because you feel bloated, just drink plenty of water with your meal...

I don't make myself stuffed and feel 100 lbs heavier.I stop eating when I feel full, I just feel worried about calories..
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    honey, i don't want to sound mean, because i am saying this with a lot of love and concern, but you do not belong here. you need to seek out a therapist that can actually *help* you with your calorie obsession. you are on an unhealthy path and being on an adult calorie counting site is not good for you. yes, it is an adult fitness site, but the majority of people are here to learn to control their eating. their goals (losing weight) are counterintuitive to yours (become less worried about what you consume).

the simple fact is that even if you put all the correct information in except your age (saying you are 18 when you are 14), the calories given to you by mpf for maintenance would be incorrect and insufficient for what your body needs (why is your diary set for 1200 calories if you are not trying to restrict your eating/lose weight?). you are still growing and developing your brain and gaining coordination and maturing as a female. you NEED food and quite a bit of it. a calorie should not be scary; a calorie is a unit of energy. teenagers burn up a lot of energy just existing. an active teenager needs between 2600 and 4000 calories.

when school starts back up, can you see your high school guidance counselor? before school starts can your mom/grandma take you to a dietician? can you afford a therapist (specifically one dealing with eating disorders and body dysmorphia)? if not, many public health nurses would be happy to work with you for free or cheap. is there anyone else that you can talk to about this fear/guilt you have of re-gaining weight/eating food?

you are reaching out for help and that is commendable; you recognize that this is an illogical problem. but myfitnesspal.com is still not the right place for you. there are age-appropriate and goal-appropriate places that will be able to help steer you away from the pressure you are placing on yourself. this website is designed to 'smack you in the face' with counting your calories. it is the exact opposite of the help you need.

hugs honey. i am saying prayers for you.
    dawn
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I agree with what was said above! You are beautiful and still growing/developing and it WILL cause you great harm (physically, emotionally, spiritually) to continue down this path. I would definitly make an appointment first chance you get to speak to your school counselor. School should be starting soon, right? They are trained to help you. I think it's a good idea to talk to your grandmother about your concerns as well. I have been in your shoes (at pretty much the same age) and trust me-obsessing about it and restricting calories now will only be very bad for you now and in the future! I think it's fine that you are getting help on the boards here, but please do not log your food!! This site is not designed for the unique needs of your growing body and mind. Just try to eat lots of fruit and veggies and make sure you are getting protein and whole grains. Don't be afraid to eat!! Your body is very effecient, it's becomes ineffecient when we abuse it, but will not if you take care of it and feed it healthy foods every day! Good luck and I will be praying for you!
  • bikinibrooke123
    Options
    honey, i don't want to sound mean, because i am saying this with a lot of love and concern, but you do not belong here. you need to seek out a therapist that can actually *help* you with your calorie obsession. you are on an unhealthy path and being on an adult calorie counting site is not good for you. yes, it is an adult fitness site, but the majority of people are here to learn to control their eating. their goals (losing weight) are counterintuitive to yours (become less worried about what you consume).

the simple fact is that even if you put all the correct information in except your age (saying you are 18 when you are 14), the calories given to you by mpf for maintenance would be incorrect and insufficient for what your body needs (why is your diary set for 1200 calories if you are not trying to restrict your eating/lose weight?). you are still growing and developing your brain and gaining coordination and maturing as a female. you NEED food and quite a bit of it. a calorie should not be scary; a calorie is a unit of energy. teenagers burn up a lot of energy just existing. an active teenager needs between 2600 and 4000 calories.

when school starts back up, can you see your high school guidance counselor? before school starts can your mom/grandma take you to a dietician? can you afford a therapist (specifically one dealing with eating disorders and body dysmorphia)? if not, many public health nurses would be happy to work with you for free or cheap. is there anyone else that you can talk to about this fear/guilt you have of re-gaining weight/eating food?

you are reaching out for help and that is commendable; you recognize that this is an illogical problem. but myfitnesspal.com is still not the right place for you. there are age-appropriate and goal-appropriate places that will be able to help steer you away from the pressure you are placing on yourself. this website is designed to 'smack you in the face' with counting your calories. it is the exact opposite of the help you need.

hugs honey. i am saying prayers for you.
    dawn

I went on a teen site and calculated in all my info and it said I should eat at least 2,400! That's a lot,but If that's my recommendation,I will.

About friendly's. Should I just order what I want with no worry? My Grandma says "every once in a while won't hurt". I always get a lame salad or fish and broccoli,and I eat that at home :l ugh
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    I went on a teen site and calculated in all my info and it said I should eat at least 2,400! That's a lot,but If that's my recommendation,I will.

About friendly's. Should I just order what I want with no worry? My Grandma says "every once in a while won't hurt". I always get a lame salad or fish and broccoli,and I eat that at home :l ugh

grandma's pretty smart. :) 'every once in a while won't hurt' is great advice! apple pie? absolutely. lasagna? absolutely. creamy casserole dish with the yummy noodles? absolutely. french fries? absolutely. not all together. not every meal. not every day. health is important to recognize as a teenager, but calorie obsession is not. balance is key. is your grandma at a healthy weight that you can look up to and emulate? is it hard to accept her advice because she does not practice what she preaches? are you afraid that if you eat something that you enjoy, you are going to over-indulge and binge?

i can't really tell you what to eat; i know what would work for *me* and what *i* would enjoy. but this is about you enjoying food because you need it to live. at friendly's, you were considering a bowl of soup (broccoli cheese) with garlic bread or a ham and cheese melt with coleslaw. was that your first choice or your i'm-worried-about-calories choice? start small with what your taste buds enjoy. what do you *like* to eat? when you say 'lame salad or fish and broccoli', it makes me think that you eat it out of obligation rather than enjoyment. :) do you like burgers? chicken? do you like salad? it is okay to like salad. i like salad, but i am not going to eat a salad at a restaurant. one, because i can make it taste just as good at home and two, because i can make a serving of it (there is nothing worse than eating a wilted salad the following day) and three, because i can make it much cheaper. lol. but if you like to eat it, eat it. enjoy it!

it looked like there were a lot of 'fried' options on the menu. if there is something that appeals to you that is fried, get it. eat until you are full, then stop. eating crap one meal out of a week is not going to clog your arteries; it is nothing to feel guilt over. you can also chose to make an option healthier by asking for modifications (grilled instead of crispy, making a burger open-faced [only one half of the bun] or wrapped in a lettuce leaf 'bun', hold the butter/cheese/whatever, pick the greasiest thing there but swap out the fries for steamed veggies). i am sure that none of those suggestions are new to you. the hardest part of the evening is not going to be what you EAT, but how you FEEL about what you are eating.

it is important to eat healthy, but for me, eating healthy makes me feel good, not worried! i love cheese. i eat it at least once a day. the fat is good for my brain, the calcium is great for me, and i LOVE how it tastes. i don't feel upset about eating 'too much' cheese. it does not make me feel bad about myself. i try to balance it with lower fat items, but it never stresses me out or keeps me up at night thinking about how much cheese i ate. same with all my other food choices, even when i go thousands of calories over.

i am glad you went to a teen website to calculate a minimum number of calories that you should be eating. i have a feeling, though, that hitting that number (or being approximately close) is going to be extremely difficult for you. you really need to seek the help of a professional (of which i am clearly not). :)
    dawn
  • MizMeow
    MizMeow Posts: 16
    Options
    As said in many previous posts, DO NOT deprive your growing body and brain of its much needed calories and nutrition. This can cause many issues in life, amenorrhea (delayed or no period), delayed development, both in your brain and body. Women, especially growing women need a certain amount of proper nutrition fro continued health. My cousins daughter, who was malnutritioned when living with her mother, at 14 years old weighed 85lbs. She now lives with her grand mother, who feeds her proper nutrition, and in the 4 months she has been there, she gained weight, began her menses, developed breasts, and lost her unhealthy appearance in her skin and hair, and grew 3 inches taller, she is not overweight either. Proper nutrition counts for a lot. We here on this site are older, our metabolisms have slowed, our activities have decreased and those of us with kids have other difficulties with getting rid of excess weight. Though we diet and exercise, we do not deprive ourselves of the nutrients, calories, fats, proteins that are needed for basic human survival. There is bound to be a teen hot-line in your area, call them, they can help with this. Talk to your mom, grandma, believe me, they were teenagers too at some point, they have had to deal with many of the same issues you are going through. You do not want to find out in later life that you have medical issues that could have been prevented with proper nutrition, brittle bones, joint issues, poor muscle tone, thought process interruptions.

I found this website, it has some explanations, it is a teen information site, it may help as well
    http://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/nutrition/hunger.html

I have a 14 year old daughter, she thinks I am clueless, as most teens think their parents are, but I have 2 things going for me, first I was a teenager, second I am a triage RN.

Take care, get help,get support, talk to your mom. Take heed to what we say, we have all been there in one way or another.

((HUGS))
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    I just want to reach out and give you a much needed hug~
    I don't think any 14 year old should have to stress over anything but homework and a clean room. I'm sorry that you are going through this and feeling that way in an already difficult stage in life. You say you already stop eating when you are full, that is what alot of us on this site have had to re-learn to do. If you just continue that practice, you can eat anything, anytime, without ever stressing about calories. And of course, stay active. I loved some of the ideas a previous poster had about sports and activities.
    I remember when I was a kid, my folks would make me clean my plate before I could be done with dinner. So, my body was taught at a young age to eat these huge portions, no matter how my body felt about it. You still know how to listen to your body, just hold on to that. It even tells you what nutrients it needs through cravings!
    Keep your chin up, you are a beautiful girl with more important things to do than count calories.
  • bikinibrooke123
    Options

grandma's pretty smart. :) 'every once in a while won't hurt' is great advice! apple pie? absolutely. lasagna? absolutely. creamy casserole dish with the yummy noodles? absolutely. french fries? absolutely. not all together. not every meal. not every day. health is important to recognize as a teenager, but calorie obsession is not. balance is key. is your grandma at a healthy weight that you can look up to and emulate? is it hard to accept her advice because she does not practice what she preaches? are you afraid that if you eat something that you enjoy, you are going to over-indulge and binge?

i can't really tell you what to eat; i know what would work for *me* and what *i* would enjoy. but this is about you enjoying food because you need it to live. at friendly's, you were considering a bowl of soup (broccoli cheese) with garlic bread or a ham and cheese melt with coleslaw. was that your first choice or your i'm-worried-about-calories choice? start small with what your taste buds enjoy. what do you *like* to eat? when you say 'lame salad or fish and broccoli', it makes me think that you eat it out of obligation rather than enjoyment. :) do you like burgers? chicken? do you like salad? it is okay to like salad. i like salad, but i am not going to eat a salad at a restaurant. one, because i can make it taste just as good at home and two, because i can make a serving of it (there is nothing worse than eating a wilted salad the following day) and three, because i can make it much cheaper. lol. but if you like to eat it, eat it. enjoy it!

it looked like there were a lot of 'fried' options on the menu. if there is something that appeals to you that is fried, get it. eat until you are full, then stop. eating crap one meal out of a week is not going to clog your arteries; it is nothing to feel guilt over. you can also chose to make an option healthier by asking for modifications (grilled instead of crispy, making a burger open-faced [only one half of the bun] or wrapped in a lettuce leaf 'bun', hold the butter/cheese/whatever, pick the greasiest thing there but swap out the fries for steamed veggies). i am sure that none of those suggestions are new to you. the hardest part of the evening is not going to be what you EAT, but how you FEEL about what you are eating.

it is important to eat healthy, but for me, eating healthy makes me feel good, not worried! i love cheese. i eat it at least once a day. the fat is good for my brain, the calcium is great for me, and i LOVE how it tastes. i don't feel upset about eating 'too much' cheese. it does not make me feel bad about myself. i try to balance it with lower fat items, but it never stresses me out or keeps me up at night thinking about how much cheese i ate. same with all my other food choices, even when i go thousands of calories over.

i am glad you went to a teen website to calculate a minimum number of calories that you should be eating. i have a feeling, though, that hitting that number (or being approximately close) is going to be extremely difficult for you. you really need to seek the help of a professional (of which i am clearly not). :)
    dawn

I am going to try to answer all of your questions.

1. My Grandma was overweight when I was younger,but she has lost that weight without really trying. She watches her portions,but if she really likes it,she'll help herself more. I feel that my Grandpas worried also. He always says "did you eat dinner",if he didn't see me and every time they have dessert he always says "you can indulge,wich I never eat the dessert. He eats dessert everynight and he has to take H cholesterol pills. He's very fit at 58 though. Just by yard work.

2.No,I know I won't binge. And never have before. Just the thought of calories.

3. I chose soup or sandwich because calories were lower,I wouldn't get that if I wasn't calorie obbsessed :l I use to go to friendlys when I was young and get the hot dog n MAC n cheese then for dessert the monster mash sundae with no problem and not knowing what calories were.

4. Yes I like salads,but its lame to go have a "treat" and get one,like me :l
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Just try to eat a balanced diet, exercise several times a week, drink lots of water, and get plenty of sleep. If I go out to eat, I get what I want. I try not to eat out more than once a week and eat healthy the rest of the time. I lost weight while doing this. I really don't think a healthy 14 year old needs to worry about eating one or two bad meals a week. Honestly sweetie, I think you're far to young to be counting calories at all. You are still growing. The important thing is to get all your daily requirement of nutrients and to exercise to stay healthy.
  • bikinibrooke123
    Options
    Just try to eat a balanced diet, exercise several times a week, drink lots of water, and get plenty of sleep. If I go out to eat, I get what I want. I try not to eat out more than once a week and eat healthy the rest of the time. I lost weight while doing this. I really don't think a healthy 14 year old needs to worry about eating one or two bad meals a week. Honestly sweetie, I think you're far to young to be counting calories at all. You are still growing. The important thing is to get all your daily requirement of nutrients and to exercise to stay healthy.

So I should just order what I want,right? Without worrying. It's hard not to though. I do belive I'm to young for this. I'm 14! Ppl always say "just get outside and get active",wich I am.

Thank you everyone:)
  • bikinibrooke123
    Options
    I forgot to mention. I started eating healthy around July 2009. And august 2009 was my last period :o
    I'm suppose to get a ultrasound soon. (not for pregnancy).I've never been sexualy active. It might have something to do with weight loss. I don't know. I don't have cramps,cravings,spotting nothing. No period anymore.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    I forgot to mention. I started eating healthy around July 2009. And august 2009 was my last period :o
    I'm suppose to get a ultrasound soon. (not for pregnancy).I've never been sexualy active. It might have something to do with weight loss. I don't know. I don't have cramps,cravings,spotting nothing. No period anymore.

oh babe, hugs. while you are there, have them check your hormone levels. it could be pcos - http://women.webmd.com/tc/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos-topic-overview . you should also want to bring up your fear of calories to your doctor.
  • bikinibrooke123
    Options

oh babe, hugs. while you are there, have them check your hormone levels. it could be pcos - http://women.webmd.com/tc/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos-topic-overview . you should also want to bring up your fear of calories to your doctor.

What can they do to get me back on my period? I don't feel like a normal girl anymore :l
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options

What can they do to get me back on my period? I don't feel like a normal girl anymore :l

If you start eating healthy it should come back on it's own. This is a common problem in girls and women who don't eat enough or work out too much. Just remember that (in general) if you take care of your body, it will take care of you! Good luck at your Dr. appointment!!
  • khlewis85
    khlewis85 Posts: 13
    Options
    well you should gain your weight back to get your period back. losing your period due to malnutrition is something that can make it so you can't have babies ever. i lost my period due to anorexia/bulimia for two and a half years. i didn't feel like a normal girl either. it's really hard but if you get your situation under control now, then you wont end up like me which... would be an amazing thing for you. ive been suffering with the ED for 10 years now and i have countless medical issues from fertility, to osteoperosis, to heart arrythmia... im only 24... so i hope with all of me that you can move past this calorie obsession and focus on what it is you want out of life. find a passion and strive for it. perfection isnt everything and fun matters. i wish someone had told me this kind of stuff when i was 14.

have a great time and friendly's. used to be one of my favorite restaurants when i was little.