Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    In short, yes.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Peruse the "success" threads. There are SO many people that are SO inspiring! Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The only way it is impossible.. is if you Don't do anything! The time will pass anyway, so get up and start moving. You don't have to run a marathon, just get moving. Log everything you eat and see where you can make it better.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/985584-weight-loss-secrets-revealed

Don't think about 150... think about today. Make the best choices each day and it will happen anyway!! :wink:

Major hugs girl!
  • starryvagabond
    starryvagabond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's doable :) I had 170 pounds to lose and I've lost 43 of that already. In 4 1/2 months. It's doable with eating right, exercise, and lots of determination :D
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am also new to MFP and yes its possible! I have 100 lbs to lose. I believe you have come to the right place. You will get the support you need and deserve. Just like adjusting your eating habits 'weed" out negative people and comments. Do not entertain them. I am someone who has sabotaged themselves a gazillion times but know I am so worth it. I need to do this. No one said it would be easy. If you need a buddy or partner to give you support just say the word and count me in! I wish you the best of luck in your endeavours and look forward to seeing you post about them....Lady
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's entirely possible. Just take it one day at a time. When I started 14 months ago, I needed to lose 123. I'm halfway there. is it slower than I'd like? HECK YEAH! I'd love to wake up tomorrow and be at my goal weight! It doesn't happen that way though, so I just keep marching forward and look at the successes I've accomplished already. So far, I've lost 5 clothing sizes, I can now walk forever without feeling like I want to keel over after two blocks, I can ride my bike and keep up with my 9-year-old son and my blood chemistry numbers have changed dramatically for the better.

Set small goals for yourself that aren't necessarily tied to the scale, such as recording everything you eat every single day, walking 20 minutes every other day, etc. Keep adding to those goals and good habits. If you focus on the good habits, your weight will follow. Conversely, if you focus only on the scale, the habits don't necessarily follow and it becomes harder and harder to stay on track and far more frustrating!

Be kind to yourself and don't beat yourself up over minor slip-ups. They *will* happen and the trick is to get right back on track the next day. You didn't gain the weight over night and it's not going to go away over night either. So that means that one day of being off program is NOT going to completely derail all of your efforts.

the other piece of advice I'd give is to not do anything to lose weight that you aren't willing to do for the rest of your life. If you aren't willing to give up pizza FOREVER, then find a way to fit it into your new healthier lifestyle. That goes for everything. You might not be able to eat the treat you love as often or have as much of them as you did, but you CAN still have them. Figure out how to make them work and you'll be much happier in the long run.

Finally, keep in mind that weight loss is far from linear. You will not lose steadily week after week after week. There will be weeks that you stay the same and some that you will even gain - EVEN IF YOU ARE DOING EVERYTING 'PERFECT!' Do not let those weeks derail your efforts! Sometimes our bodies do strange, unexplained things. Watch your weight loss trend over time. You may even develop a pattern lose, lose, gain, maintain, lose, etc. As long as the overall trend line is going down, you have nothing to worry about, except just maintaining your patience.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree you say the next hundreds I try to focus on getting to the next set the eighties the seventies etc I know it can be done just want to see results now..I am not always as patient as I should be
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I do not have that much weight to lose but I believe that 150lbs is possible. The biggest problem I have is staying positive and that is why MFP is great. There are so many people who will try to offer advice and support when your journey gets difficult. Add some supportive people on here and I think you'll be twice as likely to succeed.

Also accept that there may be days or weeks (often in my case) that you'll fall off the wagon but keep logging and doing your best until you're ready to give it your all again.

Give yourself a chance and you will be amazed at what you can achieve and how much easier doing daily tasks are. I was constantly in a lot of pain before I started losing weight and the pain is so much less now for shifting a few pounds. Its given me a bit more freedom and I feel stronger.
  • chubz5
    chubz5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! Today is my day 1 and I have about 85lbs I need to loose. Nothing is impossible!!! I'm not going to lie it's going to take us alot of hard work & motivation but I KNOW ANYONE can do anything they put their mind too. We deserve to be happy & we deserve to do this for ourselves! A quote I have been using is " You have to want it more then you want that cupcake" Good Luck! You will have all of us here beside you!!
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on my MFP friend list that has lost almost 200 without surgery. I have another that is down 140. I'm down nearly 70. My husband is down more than 80. Both he and I are still working on it. As I approach my initial long term goal, I look at myself and think, "It's not going to be enough." Glad I didn't know that for sure early on, because you're right, a large weightloss goal looks overwhelming.

So don't look at the whole goal to judge your success. Pick something small. For the first 2 weeks simply tell yourself that measuring and logging EVERYTHING you put in your mouth is the goal. Do you drink sugar-sweetened soda? Cut back to one a day. Or one a week. Do you eat fast food for lunch daily? Resolve to check nutrition info on the menu items for places you're most likely to go and have one or two "best on the menu" choices in mind. Do you not eat junk really, but simply too much of otherwise healthy foods? Measure your food so you can start to see what is too much and begin to downsize. Decide to take a timed walk of at least 15-20 minutes twice a week. Once you know what you've been eating and have a best estimate of your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), look at that consumption number and knock 10% off of it and stick to that for a week. Pick a goal of 1 pound lost per week and with making some of the small changes (or similar one that fit your circumstance) listed above, weigh-in once a week for 4 weeks. Bet you've lost something by then. Make that your first interim "loss goal". Just to see the scale shift in a downward direction. Just to be able to walk an extra 5 minutes and not feel any more winded that you did 2 weeks ago walking a shorter time. Set little goals, and choose steps that will move you toward the goals.

You can do it, but not if you let that nasty little voice in your head tell you it's all too much and you just can't make it. Tell that son-of-a-gun to shut it. You're doing this.
  • mechelemc
    mechelemc Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It is possible. I know at first it's a big task but you can do it. Keep reading peoples stories that helped me. Looking at pics of their transformation. Pls feel free to friend me having cheerleaders to help u a long the way helps more than you. :bigsmile:
  • cindyjoesousa
    cindyjoesousa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    But its not..my goal is 120 pounds and Ive lost 86 so far..no surgery..just counting calories and walking..you can do it.
  • starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I hope it's possible. I started with having 150 to lose. I've lost almost 50. it's been a long road but you have to stick to it and focus on your goal.
  • Hodgenska
    Hodgenska Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's possible! Check out everybody's tickers here in the forums. I see people all the time who have lost that much. Good luck!!
  • ramira1977
    ramira1977 Posts: 6
    Options
    I believe in my heart it is possible! I have 109 to lose to be where I would like to be. I am determined to make this work this time & I know I am not alone in this journey as I always see people on here that have similar goals. Anyone interested in working together...feel free to add me & we can all do this as a group =) Good Luck on your journey to a new you!
  • funsmile1234
    funsmile1234 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I started off needing to lose 235 lbs. It seemed so daunting at first but 15 months into it and almost 120 lbs down I see it as more of a possibility now. I agree with the others here thinking about all the weight you have to lose will discourage you. Setting small goals and reaching them keeps you motivated to keep going. The other thing is you don't want to lose weight too fast or you have a higher chance of putting it back on. Slow and steady always wins the race. Reward yourself for reaching goals. I got myself an engraved ring that says 100 lbs lost when I lost my first 100 lbs. And be realistic. You are going to have days where you just can't be on, where you don't feel like exercising or eating healthy. You just have to pick yourself up and keep moving forward even if you slip up. No one is perfect all the time. It can be done and there are people who do it without surgery all the time.
  • bearcrusher
    bearcrusher Posts: 90
    Options
    I know it's totally possible and I'll prove it to you in about a year. Hell we'll prove it can be done together. Just got to keep our eyes on the prize.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I commented earlier but just another thought for you: Please read and get inspiration from "BeingKevinsBlog" on MFP.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It is possible...but it takes time. That's the simple fact.

Time, effort, and patience.

Get at it! Each time you are out putting in hard work is bringing you a little bit closer to your goal. Set mini goals along the way and keep accomplishing them.
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It is possible. I lost over 100 pounds after I had let myself balloon to 250 lbs. (I am only 5' 2"!) Anyways, I lost it all and was a size 10. Then proceeded to get pregnant with 3 children right in a row. I am not nearly as big as I was before, but I still need to lose 67 pounds to get back down again. It can be done though! Did it once I will do it again.