Advice on calories to consume for TDEE -20% and fast days.

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Thanks for answering again. My TDEE -20% was 1479 ( desk job with little exercise). So I worked out the weekly calories by multiplying this by 7 which brought me to 10353 calories. I subtracted 1200 calories for my fast days which brought me to 9153 calories. Then I divided this up between the remaining 5 days which meant I should consume 1830 calories on those days. I hope this is a little clearer. Thanks for sticking with me.

Again, as travis said... you are creating a deficit twice. Don't use TDEE - 20%, just use TDEE.

And you're missing the bigger point. 5:2 is maintenance for 5 days, fast for 2 days. Maintenance is ~ 1775 for you. Eat 1775 for 5 days, then fast for 2 days. You're over thinking it.

agree with the overthinking, but she isnt actually doing 5:2, just eating her weekly TDEE -20% calories in the style of 5:2.... i think....

So on the 5 feed days she's actually a bit over TDEE, then way under on the 2 fast days, so weekly cals balance out to TDEE - 20%?

this is making my head hurt....

she worked out a weeks worth of TDEE -20% calories, then of that figure, split it up into 2x 600 calorie days and the rest as 5 normal days.... now i think its double counting again... i didnt before!!!!

No, I don't think it is. If it's a week's worth of TDEE -20%, it doesn't matter how it's all divided out, right? I think...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    YES!!!
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    First, if you are basing your cals on TDEE, you don't eat back exercise cals (assuming what you calculated was actually TDEE...).

Sorry to interrupt this thread.. but really?! I was asking this same question in another thread yesterday. I did my TDEE-20% and wasn't eating back my exercise but then someone told me I needed to..
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First, if you are basing your cals on TDEE, you don't eat back exercise cals (assuming what you calculated was actually TDEE...).

Sorry to interrupt this thread.. but really?! I was asking this same question in another thread yesterday. I did my TDEE-20% and wasn't eating back my exercise but then someone told me I needed to..

Really. TDEE includes exercise cals, so if you eat them back, you are effectively eating them twice.

Part of the problem is that it's become popular to calculate "TDEE" without exercise (which in fact ISN'T TDEE), in which case you should eat them back.
  • AbbyPDX
    AbbyPDX Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Here is what Dan the Man told me for calculating what to eat on the 5 days:
    To do 5:2 correctly:
    Get calculated tdee and multiply by 7.
    Divide that by 5.
    Subtract 1000.
    That's your daily intake.

For example:
    My tdee is 2400
    2400x7=16800
    Divide by 5=3360
    Subtract 1000=2360

That's what I'll eat 5 days a week.
    The other 2 days are 500 cals.
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    no I type the same stuff. thank so I should put me as lightly active instead? thanks so much this will help me a lot.