FACEPALM "Non-GMO" Himalania Sea Salt

Options
OMG I just found this article: http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/blogs/facepalm-of-the-week-non-gmo-salt

"Facepalm of the week: Non-GMO salt!?
From the people who brought you sand-free peanut butter comes non-genetically modified rock salt.
Tue, May 14 2013 at 7:33 AM

Related Topics:
Funny, GMO, Health & Well Being

Photo: Brandon Grasley/Flickr
Someone in the marketing department over at Himalania got a little over-exuberant about pointing out the benefits of their pink sea salt when they included a big fat "Non-GMO Project" icon on their label.

Salt is not living. Salt cannot, by definition, be genetically modified. There is no G to M because salt is not an O.

This makes both Himalania and the Non-GMO Project look pretty bad. Himalania could reasonably be accused of deceitful marketing here while the Non-GMO Project appears to have very, very lax standards on how their label is used.

Thanks to my friend Jes for taking the picture in the store and sharing it.

Are you on Twitter? Follow me (@sheagunther) there, I give good tweets. And if you really like my writing, you can join my Facebook page and visit my homepage.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information."

Replies