Soda pop.

Options
2»

Replies

• schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Like most people said I finally just said enough is enough and stopped drinking it. My hubby still does though and the other day he got me a soda not thinking, I took a little sip because I didnt want to waste it and it BURNED so bad. So done with soda :)
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Dr. Pepper addict here.

There are brands of flavored sparkling water that keep me away from soda and are zero calorie. The most popular is Natural Ice, but Target has their own brand and so does Walgreens. This will be attempt #3 (in the past year) to quit the stuff at least insofar as to not be drinking it every day. I'm back on Day 1.
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    so sad that this is our planet and what we have done to ourselves.

i grew up in a house that drank water, and got some juice and sometimes had pop on special occassions...like birthdays! and christmas...

just stahp!
    I grew up the same way. You get gingerale when you are sick. Our juices were homemade because my Mom said the store bought had preservatives and too little fruit content. I never really like them because she made them too sweet. The irony. :laugh:

Well. Start reducing you daily total by one can and work from there.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    If you can limit yourself to a can of pop a day, that will be a good start. I used to drink quite a bit of pop during my pre-teen/high school years because I needed it to stay awake to finish up on homework, study for tests, work on projects and for the most part, it helped me. I gradually weened off of pop and honestly only drink it a couple times a week. I think eventually I won't drink pop anymore.
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I find if I have a piece of higher-sugar fruit with my coffee in the morning instead of my usual Mt. Dew, it takes a lot of the craving away. Also, if I do have a Dew in the morning, I tend to stay off track for the whole day. EVIL it is!!
  • jangier
    jangier Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Like most people that already posted, I just quit drinking it one day. After about 6 months I stopped thinking about it, and after a year the thought of it is kind of gross to me. I replaced it with A LOT OF WATER, like A LOT!!!!! Best of luck!
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Water, Iced Tea, Coffee, and Monster Rehabs is the way that I do it.

Then I will go grab a Coke Zero from time to time.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i was a soda addict. not the 2 liter a day level, or anything, but definitely a bottle a day, so... 12-16 ounces. I love the stuff.

I bought a Sodastream, and now make the all natural fruit flavors (orange, etc). They are the 'My Flavor' line -- 0 cals, no fake stuff, no sugar, just natural fruit essence. It's basically flavored carbonated water.

It took me a week or two to adjust... but now I look forward to having a glass with my dinner, and it's zero guilt. The carbonation and flavor is just enough to curb my need for actual soda, which psychologically (for me) is mostly just a need for fizzy-ness.

also worth noting -- I avoided all the seltzers and stuff like that for decades because i never liked them. and i hate all 'fake' chemical sugars. even when i drank soda, i always stuck to the ones that use pure cane sugar. but now, the flavored carbonated water just works for me. it just took making the switch, and a couple weeks of wishing it was soda. Now... like I said, I love my nightly drink... and from a dietary standpoint, it's basically just a glass of water.

i've also quit cold turkey in the past (and lasted for years) but this is a happy compromise.
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i was a soda addict. not the 2 liter a day level, or anything, but definitely a bottle a day, so... 12-16 ounces. I love the stuff.

I bought a Sodastream, and now make the all natural fruit flavors (orange, etc). They are the 'My Flavor' line -- 0 cals, no fake stuff, no sugar, just natural fruit essence. It's basically flavored carbonated water.

It took me a week or two to adjust... but now I look forward to having a glass with my dinner, and it's zero guilt. The carbonation and flavor is just enough to curb my need for actual soda, which psychologically (for me) is mostly just a need for fizzy-ness.

also worth noting -- I avoided all the seltzers and stuff like that for decades because i never liked them. and i hate all 'fake' chemical sugars. even when i drank soda, i always stuck to the ones that use pure cane sugar. but now, the flavored carbonated water just works for me. it just took making the switch, and a couple weeks of wishing it was soda. Now... like I said, I love my nightly drink... and from a dietary standpoint, it's basically just a glass of water.

i've also quit cold turkey in the past (and lasted for years) but this is a happy compromise.

Good idea & Well done!!
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For anyone who wants to learn why sugar (sucrose = glucose + fructose) and high fructose corn syrup is so addictive i would recommend watching:

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - Dr. Lustig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    or
    https://mega.co.nz/#!1kU3TSpJ!Av3TWi2RGn5a_y_ps7w6IQSSgBInBy9nHpDe0rJXvaU

"Fructose is Ethanol without the buzz"
    "Fructose is a toxin (just like ethanol)"
    "Fructose is a carbohydrate metabolised like a fat"
    "Thats why our "low-fat" diets with processed foods included do not work"
    "The FDA will only regulate acute toxins NOT a (low dose) chronic toxin"
  • Gunr2147
    Gunr2147 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips/advice. Today was the start of my soda decline. I only allowed myself one today and the rest has been water.... Thanks again!