How do you talk yourself OUT of late night snacking?

Options
I have a problem - I eat right all day, but at night, I will talk myself into eating and almost always blow over my calorie goal. Afterward, I will think about what I did wrong and try to correct it, telling myself that I have to stop talking myself into eating, and instead, talk myself OUT of eating, as well as avoiding the whatever I think was the trigger. Not all the time - but often enough that it can become a week long habit, then I'll stop doing it for a couple weeks, then I will start doing it again.

I have tried a couple different things - eating or not eating dinner (not eating dinner means I only have a post-workout protein shake and sometimes a small <100 cal bedtime snack), eating a bigger breakfast, changing up when I eat during the day... It makes me think it's not something I can regulate with my body, but rather something I need to regulate mentally.

I've just thrown away the rest of the food that I have been snacking on lately, which I have not done before (and it really hurt me to do so!)...

I'm sure (I think?) I'm not the only one out there who tells themselves, 'Oh, this and this won't cause that much harm', 'oh, I'll just eat less tomorrow' and so on --

for those of you who successfully can do so, how do you talk yourself out of it? Have you found anything that works for you?

Replies

• QuinceyBethx3
    Options
    willpower
  • PrimalSiren
    PrimalSiren Posts: 144
    Options
    I did this and it stopped when I started drinking herbal tea with a tablespoon of coconut oil. The fat is really satiating and helped curb any cravings. Also getting to bed on time instead of watching tv (or for me, playing video games) helped a ton.
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Late night snacking was a hard habit to break, I personally found I had to cut them out completely rather then switching to healthy alternatives. It wasn't easy but the other day, I got into bed I realized I hadn't even thought about food since dinner and it was lovely.

Well done throwing out the snacks, if they aren't there you can't eat them, or call you from the cupboard :laugh:
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i snack at night. i always have cals left so it's all good.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't. I changed what I snack on. A few examples.

one cup of vanilla almond milk it's 90 calories and cuts my need to eat so I can go to bed without a growly tummy.

soup with mostly vegetables

carrots I eat a few and that curbs the need for higher calorie snacks.

air popped popcorn. 3 cups or so 140 calories.

salad, it's a strange snack but a salad with a vinaigrette dressing is pretty filling

if all else fails you could try intermittent fasting so that you are eating all of your calories in an 8-9 hour time frame so that when you do eat you are eating until you are really really full and eat most your calories at that 9 hour mark, you won't want to eat until morning after all of that.
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Big trick is to always have some broccoli steamers in the fridge. I throw a bag and eat half, even at midnight, the calorie effects are minimal, but boy does it stuff you and kills any hunger.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Save some calories for the time of the day you most like to eat. I started IF because then I have those calories spare for later at night when I'd prefer them. I just skip breakfast.
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Honestly what helped me most to not snack at night is go to bed. I've also been super careful with what I'm bringing home. If I don't have junk at home then I can't eat junk
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. I will add that you need to make sure you are getting enough protein, good fat and fiber through out the day and eating the right number of calories. Drink plenty of water, you might just be dehydrated, and it is masking as hunger. Control your carb intake, especially in the evening. Hunger and cravings are caused by spikes in blood sugar, control that and you will master night time eating.

Finally...GO TO SLEEP. Don't stay up late, it makes the whole issue worse because it increases stress hormones and reduces growth hormones, neither of which is helpful to us on this diet and exercise journey. I take melatonin, valerian and magnesium an hour before I want to go to bed. I am so tired once that kicks in to even open the fridge...if that doesn't work I occasionally take a benadryl . I don't do it often, but my OBGYN said it is the best over the counter, non narcotic sleep aid on the market and it is relatively safe if you don't over do it. It really can help you re-establish good sleeping patterns.

Finally research 16/8 intermittent fasting. This is the number one thing that has helped me stop eating at night. My hunger turns OFF at 8-9 pm every night and stays off until about 1 pm the next day....was hard at first, now it is second nature. It is hard to sleep when your body is trying to digest, especially things that are not healthy for you.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I can get to around 10pm and think "Oh, I've got xxx in the fridge" - normally I factor it in anyway, but often I think it's just a fall back mechanism to my days of staying up until 3am drinking and eating rubbish - it's harder if you do go to bed later I always find.

Personally, I either do one of the following; a) factor in something at the start of the day for around 10pm (often) b) drink herbal tea (often), c) brush my teeth. Also, I end up finding something to do or watch or read that takes my mind off it - usually having a good look at the "Success Stories" on here is inspirational enough for me not to reach to the snack cupboard!

BUT - if you are hungry, do not deny yourself. Just change what you eat - even if it's an oatcake with a teaspoon of peanut butter or hummous, or raw veg. Sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger, so my first port of call is a big glass of water.
  • carolynh7
    carolynh7 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great advice - I personally tend to drink a glass of water and if that doesn't work I go to bed. I always have a tendancey to want to snack when I've eaten less calories through the day, so I try and make sure I've had the right amount. All in all though late night snacking can be a hard habit to break.
  • kleonard42
    kleonard42 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I have this same problem most nights of the week. Sometimes what works for me is hot tea with some cinnamon and honey in it, taking a melatonin so that im nice and sleepy and too tired to eat or sometimes taking a nice, relaxing bath before bed. Other than those, I often have to yell at myself that I have a goal to reach and I CAN DO THIS!!!

I hope you get the help you are looking for! Good luck...you'll do well....mind over matter, girl:)
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Couple of tactics, though all of them require a little willpower.

1. Keep super healthy snacks around (veggies, hummus, etc) and just let myself go over with them.

2. I slap on a Hoodia patch (expensive, and most people don't like supplements on here--hopefully I don't get demonized) and make myself guzzle a bottle of water. This usually curbs cravings.

3. I used to do this all the time out in Iraq----make myself go to bed early. If it's 7:30 or 8:00 and I have unbearable snack cravings, I just change into my pj's and tell myself "lights out!" Hard to eat if you're sleeping.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    1. are your calories set too low? If they are then this could be what's triggering the desire to eat a lot in the evening. Check your calories (see the various "in place of a road map" threads for instructions for how to do that) and if necessary change your goals.

2. if you're sure your calories are correct, then once you hit your calorie limit for the day, have only extremely low calorie things to munch on so you feel like you're eating, e.g. celery sticks, herbal teas, etc. Eat them slowly. Sometimes this kind of thing is a psychological/comfort thing. Other ways to keep your hands busy might help as well.

3. plan so you can eat more in the evening, e.g. make your meals during the day slightly lower in calories so you have calories left over for your favourite snacks in the evening. Eat them slowly to make them last. Note: this only works if your calories are correct, because if your calories are too low already, eating less during the day will make it harder to control snacking during the evening.
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein. If you are full it will be less likely that you will want to snack
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm glad somebody started this thread. I have the same problem because I have the schedule of a drug addict. Sleep from like 6am-12pm and I'm up all night. :sick:
  • bestmeicanbe84
    bestmeicanbe84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth and that will usually keep me from wanting to snack so much since the toothpaste makes things taste funny for a while.
  • SusanHeinous
    Options
    I have always preferred to eat late in the day and losing weight was often sabotaged by late night snacking.
    I am managing to lose weight by doing the following.
    Plan your meals to suit you. I changed my diary to Lunch/Dinner/Supper with supper being my bed-time 'meal'. I've never been a breakfast eater and can't see the point of forcing it down.
    When you get hungry in the evening, remind yourself that supper time will be along soon.
    If totally desperate for something sweet then low cal hot chocolate can hit the spot and Walls soleros are only 90cals.
    I find my evening eating is associated with the tv so I will ofen play on the xbox instead. Cant eat whilst gaming unless your game has long loading screens..

There are probably more fitness orientated answers to this problem but this all works for me.
    Hope you can find your solution.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    willpower

Ditto
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    By knowing that if I do, I will get fat again.