• shanetyas
    shanetyas Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    DO ALL THE THINGS!!!! :)

This LOL
  • RubixProbz
    RubixProbz Posts: 10
    Options
    no, cardio and lifting heavy won't help you lose weight at all. Only eating at a deficit.

Right now you are dropping pounds of fat and muscle. The only way to put on muscle is to eat at a surplus. If you continue on your journey here is what is likely to happen.

1) your going to reach your goal and have a lot of endurance. yeah!
    2) you aren't going to be happy with your body compesition
    3) you want to tone up with 3 - 5lb weights and zumba
    4) it doesn't work so you lift heavy
    5) now you have to eat at a surplus to build up muscle and gain 10 pounds
    6) cut and drop some body fat% because you started lifting the number on the scale doesn't mean anything to you anymore.
    7) post before and after pics of how hot you are
    8) Troll mfp boards / poptarts and ice cream

you can skip a lot of this if you just go right to lifting heavy. Keep doing cardio too! I do both I love my runs.
    So much this.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Pretty much what most are saying. I did a lot of cardio to kick start my loss, but then hit a plateau. Started lifting and BAM...weight going down. My advice, a mixture of cardio and weights. Depends on your goals, of course, but lifting will definitely pay dividends.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    no you aren't growing muscles. all you are doing is loosing so you can see musculature. check out marathon runners vs sprinters- which would you rather look like???

yeah- no one ever picks marathon runners.

My name is manhn1. I think marathon runners like Kara Goucher and Dylan Wykes are damn good looking. I see plenty of hot looking folks in my local marathon races.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Someone on reddit explained it really well the other day.

Think of your body as a car. Cardio is like driving your car really fast, you will go through gas really quickly, but it will not change your engine. Weight training is like upgrading to a more efficient engine. Muscle burns fat with no effort.
    The guy on reddit doesn't know what he is talking about. Cardiovascular training, done properly, does change the engine because it transforms how your body processes glycogen and fat to create energy.

As for "Muscle burns fat with no effort", well so does fat.

Well. Crap. It was really well accepted by the people on the fitness boards, and made it to bestof.

But, as we know, misinfo can fly around the internet like crazy.

And I do agree with the idea of the "lifting cult". I love my running and it's really helped me lose weight, because I like it. I don't have anything against lifters, but when people scoff at me for avoiding the weight room, I don't like it so much. (At least I'm off the couch!)

Have you seen any "legit" articles discussing cardio v weights? I would like to do more research.
  • murdy745
    murdy745 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
  • keithf1138
    keithf1138 Posts: 63
    Options
    My problem is that I have really come to enjoy my cardio activities and they are social. While the weightlifting I do I guess is not only wrong, but the way I guess I should be doing it would be even more boring.

So for Cardio I do a great deal of Elliptical and can easily do 90 minutes of Eliptical at the gym and I love what the endurance has done for my overall lifestyle. The organized 5Ks, 8ks, etc. that my family now does and often together is because of cardio endurance. Taking a run, hike, bike ride together makes cardio more enjoyable.

Now as for Weight lifting I guess I do it more as circuit training because I dont like to sit around when I workout and it seems I am supposed to lift a lot and then rest then lift then rest. Honestly that sounds pretty boring. I move from machine to machine pretty rapidly and have a short rest between sets. The amount on the machines are near capacity, especially the leg machines and core machines. So I guess I need to move to free weights, but that means scheduling becomes more of a hassle because many of them need a spotter.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I have really come to enjoy my cardio activities and they are social. While the weightlifting I do I guess is not only wrong, but the way I guess I should be doing it would be even more boring.

So for Cardio I do a great deal of Elliptical and can easily do 90 minutes of Eliptical at the gym and I love what the endurance has done for my overall lifestyle. The organized 5Ks, 8ks, etc. that my family now does and often together is because of cardio endurance. Taking a run, hike, bike ride together makes cardio more enjoyable.

Now as for Weight lifting I guess I do it more as circuit training because I dont like to sit around when I workout and it seems I am supposed to lift a lot and then rest then lift then rest. Honestly that sounds pretty boring. I move from machine to machine pretty rapidly and have a short rest between sets. The amount on the machines are near capacity, especially the leg machines and core machines. So I guess I need to move to free weights, but that means scheduling becomes more of a hassle because many of them need a spotter.
    The only free weight exercise I can think of that requires a spotter until elite levels is the bench press, and even that can be substituted with dumbbells.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I personally am incorporating both into my workouts now (just started so haven't seen results yet). I've been doing cardio pretty much and while it does help I want to maximize my weight loss and feel better.

The thing to remember about lifting is after you lift your body's metabolism can be increased up to 36 hours so it helps you burn fat throughout the day (depending on intensity of workout and daily activities will depend on how much).

I read an article the other day ago that seemed to help me and made sense.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_training_wars.htm

If some of the information is wrong please let me know.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

The only free weight exercise I can think of that requires a spotter until elite levels is the bench press, and even that can be substituted with dumbbells.

Agreed, I've never needed a spotter. Just be smart about it; start with lower weights until you find the weight that makes it difficult to get ~6 reps. Also, it might be a good idea to work with a trainer the first few times you try new lifts like squats and deadlifts to make sure you are using the right form. :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    4km 2x a week is FAR, FAR from too much cardio. You could run 5 times your current amount without worry.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI...muscle does not weigh more than fat. One pound of muscle and one pound of fat both are one pound. :smile:

Thank you! The fallacy that "muscle weighs more than fat" makes me want to scream when I hear it!
    Right, and gold isn't more expensive than wood. $100 of gold costs exactly the same as $100 of wood!!!!!111eleven
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Someone on reddit explained it really well the other day.

Think of your body as a car. Cardio is like driving your car really fast, you will go through gas really quickly, but it will not change your engine. Weight training is like upgrading to a more efficient engine. Muscle burns fat with no effort.
    The guy on reddit doesn't know what he is talking about. Cardiovascular training, done properly, does change the engine because it transforms how your body processes glycogen and fat to create energy.

As for "Muscle burns fat with no effort", well so does fat.

Well. Crap. It was really well accepted by the people on the fitness boards, and made it to bestof.

But, as we know, misinfo can fly around the internet like crazy.

And I do agree with the idea of the "lifting cult". I love my running and it's really helped me lose weight, because I like it. I don't have anything against lifters, but when people scoff at me for avoiding the weight room, I don't like it so much. (At least I'm off the couch!)

Have you seen any "legit" articles discussing cardio v weights? I would like to do more research.
    My opinion is that the whole cardio vs. weights argument is stupid because there is no versus, they do two entirely different things. Additionally, the only people advancing the argument are weightlifters using wholly specious arguments and internet sites trying to sell something. For some reason, many here believe this stuff for no good reason other than that it sounds good. I guess that ignorance is bliss.

The stupidest argument is that if you don't lift weights your muscles are all going to whither away while your body preserves all its fat.
    #1 - The body doesn't process energy that way. and
    #2 - That doesn't even pass the logic test. The body will preserve the muscle needed to meet the body's activity level. If the activity level is not reduced then why would it shed muscle?

The only way someone is going to lose muscle given a sustained activity level is if they starve themselves. But that is a diet problem, not a cardio problem.

This article references some studies on the subject: http://scoobysworkshop.com/does-cardio-burn-muscle/
  • addreonnaseger
    Options
    Don't get stuck on the number the scale sez. If 150 fits in a size 4 who cares if it is a 150. People who lift look better in their clothes. Ditch the scale and get a very tight pair of jeans to measure your progress.

This. (:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    don't need a spotter to lift- you'll probably be surprised- maxing out machines you might drop signifantly in free weight weights.

I lift all the time. It's not boring- I move through it pretty quickly- the "Resting" people do is often too much... but you NEED rests if you are lifting for weight. As they get heavier- you need longer rests- upwards of 2-3 mninutes.

But if you aren't going for HEAVY- then youre rest of 30-60 seconds is fine- I can do 4-6 lifts with sets of burpees between in about 45 minutes.
  • addreonnaseger
    Options
    I only do Cardio at this point (I'm planning on getting into lifting soon) but I've noticed that even just doing Cardio that I'm gaining muscle. I have a stationary bike (which works well for my legs, obviously but also my arms--which I just thought was the most brilliant idea I've ever concocted.) And when I up the resistance, I have to use my muscles more. Which only leads me to believe that while I am doing Cardio (getting my heart rate up, more rapid breathing--yada yada) I am also using my muscles, which obviously means that they're not just going to wither away. Will I be perfectly toned as I lose weight? Probably not. Will I still have some semblance of muscle mass? Definitely.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my 3 times a week Zumba/cardio workouts. I have done some weight training, but very little. It bores me almost as much as jogging/running, to be honest. I plan to up my weight training, but still intend to do the same amount of cardio.

I will tell you that those muscles in my profile pic are due strictly from my all-over Zumba body workouts. I have muscle tone and some sculpture, but yeah, to me it depends on the TYPE of cardio. Biking and jogging will build strong leg muscles, boxing will build strong arms and strong legs. It depends on the type of cardio you're doing.

I have found my Zumba workouts to be the most effective weight loss and toning program for my tastes. Do I want to get ripped? No, I don't. Do I want a strong and healthy heart, low blood pressure, a great resting heart rate and the ability to fly up a flight of stairs with nary a breath out of place? YES. Hence, the heavy cardio workouts.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight (fat and muscle), diet in a caloric deficit.

If you want to lose BODY FAT, lift weights. Squats, lunges, deadlifts are the magic three recommended for body recomposition and prevention of loss of lean body mass in a caloric deficit.

If you want to BUILD MUSCLE, lift weights in a caloric surplus.

Cardio just helps build a deficit and strengthens your lungs and heart. It doesn't really do much for lean body mass retention in a deficit, and it doesn't do much muscle building in a surplus.

That said, I do full-body resistance for 30-60 minutes and then run 5-10k a few times a week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight (fat and muscle), diet in a caloric deficit.

If you want to lose BODY FAT, lift weights. Squats, lunges, deadlifts are the magic three recommended for body recomposition and prevention of loss of lean body mass in a caloric deficit.

If you want to BUILD MUSCLE, lift weights in a caloric surplus.

Cardio just helps build a deficit and strengthens your lungs and heart. It doesn't really do much for lean body mass retention in a deficit, and it doesn't do much muscle building in a surplus.

That said, I do full-body resistance for 30-60 minutes and then run 5-10k a few times a week.

I'd like to start a slow clap for this- but I don't think anyone will join me. LOL :D

I don't run- but I do 1 hr of spin class and like 5-10 hrs of dance a week, 3 heavy lift days and 3 HIIT sessions.

lift all the weights- LIFT LIFT LIFT!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I agree with a good split. I do Zumba 2 times a week, but after I get done, I make sure I do my strength training (I'm still wimpy, so I'm on 6lbs) as well to round things out. I want to both lose weight and firm up, and I know that cardio isn't going to do that for me. So up your cardio? Depends on how much you're doing now, more exercise can't be a bad thing with proper rest and listening to your body. Adding in strength training is not a bad thing either, firm and tone into a shapely body, don't be a skinny weakling. :D