How do you talk yourself OUT of late night snacking?

Options

Replies

• Gunr2147
    Gunr2147 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of water then hit the rack.
  • InspiredSAM
    InspiredSAM Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would agree with lots of these suggestions:
    1. Try drinking water....I find that a cup of hot tea really helps too. Sometimes the warmth curbs my appetite.
    2. Brush your teeth...I often don't want to brush again, so it's a good mind trick. Or I'm lazy like that :)
    3. Make sure you are eating enough calories throughout the day with plenty of protein.
  • hmontigney
    hmontigney Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Eating late at night, even when you have calories left, is always a bad idea. I usually don't eat past 7PM unless it's a special occasion of some sort. You just need to have the willpower to say no. Remember why you're trying to lose weight and ask yourself what you would rather. Would you rather snack on that bag of chips or would you rather reach your goal weight? That's what I try to do. Food is a tempation to all of us but it's just a matter of saying no. I stopped buying any foods that are going to tempt me so kudos on getting rid of them. If they're not there, you can't eat them. It's a hard habit to give up but it can definitely be done. Good luck!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Eating late at night, even when you have calories left, is always a bad idea. I usually don't eat past 7PM unless it's a special occasion of some sort. You just need to have the willpower to say no. Remember why you're trying to lose weight and ask yourself what you would rather. Would you rather snack on that bag of chips or would you rather reach your goal weight? That's what I try to do. Food is a tempation to all of us but it's just a matter of saying no. I stopped buying any foods that are going to tempt me so kudos on getting rid of them. If they're not there, you can't eat them. It's a hard habit to give up but it can definitely be done. Good luck!

Why is it a bad idea if you have calories?
  • hmontigney
    Options
    It's considered a myth and there's been a lot of discussion over it but here's a link that sort of explains:

http://life.dailyburn.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-real-reasons-you-shouldnt-eat-after-7pm-if-you-want-to-lose-weight/
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    It's considered a myth and there's been a lot of discussion over it but here's a link that sort of explains:

http://life.dailyburn.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-real-reasons-you-shouldnt-eat-after-7pm-if-you-want-to-lose-weight/

Clearly it's a myth because I've lost all of my weight snacking at night, within my calorie goals of course.
  • hmontigney
    Options

Clearly it's a myth because I've lost all of my weight snacking at night, within my calorie goals of course.

Maybe I worded that the wrong way. I didn't mean to make it sound matter of fact. That's just what works for me. After not eating past 7PM for so long, I've grown used to it and snacking at night doesn't ever cross my mind anymore. Everyone is different. Congratulations on your weight loss though!
  • Snatched614
    Snatched614 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Go back to sleep or find a chore to do.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Late night snacking was a hard habit to break, I personally found I had to cut them out completely rather then switching to healthy alternatives. It wasn't easy but the other day, I got into bed I realized I hadn't even thought about food since dinner and it was lovely.

Well done throwing out the snacks, if they aren't there you can't eat them, or call you from the cupboard :laugh:

I just don't eat after dinner. It was HARD at first but now I rarely think about it. Healthy alternatives did not work for me either.
    If I am starving I will drink milk.....sounds weird, but it takes the edge of hunger and I am not actually chewing, but I have gotten used to being a little hungry at bedtime.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    A combination of eating a semi-late dinner, and a planned snack at bedtime.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I realized that a large part of my weight gain was late-night eating...I quit cold turkey. Now, even if i'm ravenous and my tummy is barking at me, I don't even want to. I'm so used to not eating late, it doesn't bother me.
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    On my days off I find it nearly impossible, but managing a late night bar its easy as I have my break at 2am and get home for 4/4.30am and take my multivitamin and go to sleep.

Days off for me its all about will power, oh and the other easy option. Getting rid off all the **** in your cupboards and fridge, then when you need to snack, there aint nothing bad to eat!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have done 3 things and all work for me. Because my hubby works third, I am alone in the evenings and like many others, that becomes trouble for me. SO, I have been known to put a kitchen chair or the trash can blocking my entrance into the kitchen as a nice reminder.

Also, it I feel it is going to get out of control, I just take a book and go up to my bedroom and read. This keeps my mind occupied and I'm away from food. I have found watching TV tends to trigger my appetite (probably all the food seen), so reading helps.

Also, if I have a good workout in the evenings, it suppresses my appetite and keeps me mindful that I don't want to blow it, so that works too.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Why is it a bad idea if you have calories?

I don't know if it's sound advice to do something just because you can. It doesn't help of course that willpower tends to drop at the end of the day.

There is precisely no need to snack. If you do it, it's for other reasons. If you snack at night and you say it's because you want to, then why do you want to? There is no science to back up that you lose weight because you eat at night.

When all is said and done, there is far more to health than weight and calories. When I woke up the other morning, my weight was lower than it has ever been in my adult life. I thought it was amusing. It would have been tragic, if not for being healthy too.

Snacking throughout the day keeps your pancreas busy. A pancreas that doesn't rest regularly may decades from now be so overworked that it gives up, leaving you with an insulin problem. And the thing about late night eating conflicting with the growth hormone during the first hours of sleep is a concern too.

In short, I can't find a single redeeming quality about late night snacking.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I drink tea or water. Or go to bed early.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I usually have tea with stevia and maybe a sugarfree popsicle. It really works and the tea puts me right to sleep..zzz. :)
  • jball1954
    jball1954 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's tough to not snack for me. Going to bed is the best solution sometimes. If I can convince myself to slice up two apples, that sometimes takes care of it in a low calorie way. Or, I will make a single serving microwave popcorn or two. Both are pretty low calorie and I can get away with it. But if I go off the deep end and have a soda or two and half a bag of pretzels or I really get crazy and want a peanut butter sandwich, then I just count it and try harder the next day!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I ritualistically tie myself up with a wire hanger. Then I tape my mouth shut.
  • abilicious_1
    Options
    Going to bed early before the craving starts usually help me quell those urges.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of water then hit the rack.

hit the rack...:laugh:

i know what you meant :smile: