too fat for shorts?

Options

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Wear what you're comfortable in, and to hell with what other people think.

This. Shorts come in different lengths, so find a pair that you feel good wearing and werk it.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    No such thing - its just a matter of finding ones that fit well. With my wide hips & short legs, I look ridiculous in bermuda shorts, so I wear shorter ones, but not *too* short. I do find that they look better if I buy one size up from my jeans size. I'm not sure why, but this seems to work. Sometimes need a belt to keep the waist up, but at least my legs don't look like sausages.
  • Tewsy87
    Tewsy87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Confidence is key. If you feel good in them then go for it! Personally, I can't wear them. I always end up in capris or skirts.
  • Brianna72994
    Brianna72994 Posts: 887
    Options
    As long as they're not TOO short, you should be fine! I doubt anyone will even notice!

I understand where you're coming from though, I have a bit of cellulite and I feel really insecure in shorts. I still wear them though! Its too damn hot in the Summer to be hiding in pants or capris.
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    2vcge95.jpg

These women are sizes 16, 20, and 18 and I think they look great.
    I'm a size 16 and rock the hell out of shorts. I live in Houston!! No jeans in the summer for this Texan!

I say go for it!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If you're opting for capris, then I doubt you're even considering Daisy Dukes.

Pick a pair that is flattering, that fits properly (not too tight, not too loose), and is of an appropriate length.

And wear flattering shoes to lengthen the leg if you can.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I think I am too fat for most shorts. And the only reason is because they ride up the middle when my thighs rub. I HATE THAT.
    And I refuse to wear most shorts for that reason.
    I might wear shorts that are longer and form fitting (not tight) so they don't ride up anywhere though... I bought a pair last year and that was the first time I wore shorts in many years. But even those shorts were fitted in the hips and HUGE on the waist.... as are most pants/shorts on me...
    It's just easier for me to avoid shorts all together until I can fit into my old ones that are a few sizes smaller than where I am now.
  • mandiam
    mandiam Posts: 109
    Options
    I believe it is just Spandex that has police. Not shorts.

hey now...spandex more than 1/2 the time. love my kit.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    People just don't care at all if you're wearing shorts or not. You may think you're fat, nobody will notice you at 90% of the times,

The only time I really notice someone is if their clothes are either way too tight or just a really bad/inappropriate style for them.

I used to work with a woman who was at least 100 pounds overweight. She had this one outfit--pants that were at least two sizes two small that she wore with underwear that was also far too small and made her look like she had four butt cheeks full of cottage cheese and a triple muffin top. Whens he wore clothes that actually fit she looked 30 pounds lighter.

I saw a woman a few weeks ago who had a great body--but she was probably 60 and had spent way too much time in the sun, and was wearing an outfit that I'd cringe to see an 18 year old in--it was just too provocative Instead of looking sexy, she looked ridiculous and desperate.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I just recently bought a pair of shorts. I felt so strange wearing them out and about in public....which is almost comical since I have bikini shots in my profile here. I usually opt for skirts or dresses though....they just feel more comfortable to me.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I believe it is just Spandex that has police. Not shorts.

hey now...spandex more than 1/2 the time. love my kit.

Pics or it didn't happen. *blows whistle* Hey stop resisting!
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Who cares what anyone else thinks. You have to wear what you are comfortable in.

This.

I don't think anyone looks "better" purely based on their size. But that is me. I consider people who think that way "shallow".
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    ...I'll admit to staring a bit at people who are too fat to wear shorts, but I understand I'm in the minority when it comes to these things.

Errm, no you're not, you're being honest.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    ...I'll admit to staring a bit at people who are too fat to wear shorts, but I understand I'm in the minority when it comes to these things.

BUT, she is in the minority for being honest :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I feel like you're only too fat for any article of clothing if said article of clothing is too small for you. Like if you're trying to squeeze your size 10 butt and thighs into some size 8 shorts, you're too fat for those shorts. Is a size 10 fat? Not in my opinion. But anybody trying to wear a size too small is gonna look like a busted can of biscuits. Same premise applies to all other articles of clothing. If you are uncomfortable in what you're wearing, you shouldn't be wearing it. Doesn't matter if it's a bikini or a potato sack. I often wouldn't wear shorts at my heavier weight simply because it was uncomfortable for my thighs to rub together so much. I mean, they still kinda do, I don't have (and will probably never have) the mystical "thigh gap" but it's not to the point of discomfort anymore.

Screw what other people think you should be wearing, if it fits you, and you're comfortable, wear those shorts, girl.
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I just recently bought a pair of shorts. I felt so strange wearing them out and about in public....which is almost comical since I have bikini shots in my profile here. I usually opt for skirts or dresses though....they just feel more comfortable to me.

i prefer u wore nothing
  • klynnshuck
    klynnshuck Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There is a difference in "too fat for shorts" in general and "too fat for your shorts." Style and size and anyone can rock shorts.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    This.

I don't think anyone looks "better" purely based on their size. But that is me. I consider people who think that way "shallow".

However there are some looks that just aren't good. It makes me sad for people when they could look so much better if they had made different choices when they got dressed.

What was that line from Steel Magnoias? "You look like 10 pounds of potatoes stuffed into a five pound sack." That's not a good look on anyone, regardless of their body type.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My thighs have always rubbed...even when I have been in great shape. I just have thick legs and not enough hip to ever have that "thigh gap".Short Shorts are basically out of the question. I am always in capris and thank the lord for cute sundresses!!!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

BUT, she is in the minority for being honest :)

I, for one, appreciate the honesty

Everyone wants to tell OP

'Hey don't worry babe! Just do your thing!'

Then when someone with an i phone camera takes a picture of an obese women in extremely short shorts and turns it into the next laughing stalk of internet gifs everyone will be like 'What was she thinking wearing those shorts?'

OP, my apologies as I have no idea whether or not your obese I'm only using this situation as an example.

The shorts you wear are entirely up to you but you're getting some good advice from women (and men) who know a little bit about how to dress to flatter when overweight.