Afraid to run outdoors solo

Options
Let me start off by saying my city is in the top 100 for safest cities in america 2012. Nothing bad ever happens, ever. No murders no kidnappings no shootings ect the absolute worst that happens is a GPS gets stolen from a car sometimes. But I am still terrified to go running on my own, in broad daylight. Here it is a beautiful day and I am DYING to go on a run but no one will go with me. I do suffer from anxiety and I am a bit paranoid (I think I watch too much tv aka law and order svu) I don't have a dog I could run with and getting a new dog isn't an option and buying a treadmill isn't an option either. Should I just try to force myself to conquer my fear and just go? I mean its almost guaranteed nothing would happen to me but I still just have that "what if". I do do other workouts too but I just really love to run so it isn't like i'm completely missing out on a workout. Does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    JUST GO. It will feel so good once you're out there! I run outside 3x per week and love it! I started in February- walk/jogging 1 mile...2 miles.. now I'm up to 9. Get over your fear and once you're out there, you will feel better. Maybe try going for just 10-15 minutes at first? It WILL be worth it. :)
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    just do it! If you are fearful, maybe stay in more crowded areas, don't go running on secluded back country roads (even though those are the best places to run IMO :)
    Or maybe you have a neighbor who has a dog you can borrower :)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Are there places in your city that a lot of runners use? Like, in mine, we have a rail trail and a canal path that are both frequently used by runners, walkers, and cyclists. Except in the very worst weather, there's likely to be other recreational users at any time of the day. It makes the run feel safer to have others around who are doing the same thing.

Another place I run is a big ball field that is a little more than half a mile around. It gets less use (unless there's a game, in which case I avoid it), but since it's circular I can see the whole thing at a glance so it's unlikely I could be surprised by anyone.

I don't have a park near me, but when I visit cities I'm not familiar with, I often hit those--there are almost always people walking, running, or playing with their kids. Some are big enough to get good runs in, others I've had to do laps around whatever paths they have, but it's another fairly safe option.

Also, if you like running with others, check your local running store and see if they have a training group or running club. There are several in my city. A bonus is that in one of my training groups, I met someone who became my running buddy. You could also ask at the store if they have any recommendations for safe places to run. And if it would make you feel more secure, they can probably sell you some pepper spray or a whistle.

You can overcome this--keep trying!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Run in an open, well populated area. Take a whistle along to have a sense of security. You are far more likely to be the victim of a crime in the parking lot of a grocery store or chopping center--do you go to those?
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Carry your cell phone. Don't wear earphones, or maybe just one. If you drive to your location, lock your purse in the trunk and carry just your car key and an ID.

Go out for 10 minutes and head back. If you are still comfortable, go for your full run.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    - Do you walk outdoors or do you take your car everywhere?
    - Do you have a specific fear?
    - Is there somebody that you could walk or run together with for the first little while, to help you feel better?
    - Do you feel you need to be better equipped to run outside? Is there something other than a dog or a friend that would make you feel safe?
    - Have you considered getting a prescription for an anti-anxiety med, or trying an alternative solution like valerian, magnesium, guided imagery, meditation, or... running?
  • skinny_bre
    skinny_bre Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I am not close enough with my neighbors to just randomly be like "can I borrow your dog?" like it would just be sooo awkward. There are 2 trails fairly close to me (one I have never been to though) but they aren't close enough to walk/run to and my whole idea is if i'm getting in the car and driving to go running I might as well just go to the gym. But the street I live on is actually somewhat popular with runners, in nice weather I see maybe 3 or 4 people a day. But my city is so small we don't even have a running store or any exercise store, the closest one is maybe a half hour away. I do actually have a whistle but it honestly never even occurred to me to bring that haha! So thank you for that!

Also how does everyone carry all their stuff on runs (cell phone, id ect) when I go with other people I never take anything because we figure if something happens we have the other one to help.
  • annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just do it! When I run, I always let my husband know what route I am taking and what my estimated return time is. That way if I get hurt, or something worse, he can come look for me. If you don't live with someone, text a friend and let them know what your plans are. Run in the day time in areas where there are lots of people...a city park, heavily traveled road (with a safe place to run, so you don't get hit by a vehicle), etc. If you see someone on the street, make eye contact. That way they will remember you (if God forbid something does happen) or you look confident, if they want to "mess" with you. If you are really worried, carry pepper spray (it may help with those loose aggressive dogs if you should encounter one). Run without headphones so you can hear what is going on around you. Like you said, you should be fine - but being aware and safe is always a good thing to think about! Good luck!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    What others have said + get some treatment for that anxiety. I don't mean drugs, find someone who specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy and can help you feel the fear and do it anyway. Will change your life. Oh, and those shows you mentioned aren't helping.
  • dietcokeg
    dietcokeg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I feel you on this one, i only usually run with a friend but i want to run outdoors along so i'm starting brisk walking first - the only thing for me is im self conscious mostly because i am not really a runner (yet) so i want to ease into it till i feel confident enough to run alone. i live in a small town in Ireland so that might have something to do it.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Omg. It is like I am reading my thoughts. I am the same way. I watch the show disappeared so yeah. What I did to make myself feel safe on my walks alone was buy a rape whistle and pepper spray that also supports breast cancer. It puts my mind at ease. Plus to top it of I have this small cute little over the shoulder satchel type purse thing that I put the pepper spray and my phone and keys in and I wear the whistle tucked under the shirt. So you could do the same as me. The pepper spray was $7.50 at my local farm& fleet and the whistle was like $1.89 at the same store. And the purse was just from some old thrift store from back in the day. So it didn't cost very much, if that's what you are also worried about. Hope this helped you. Good luck.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Go for a run....the exercise is going to help your anxiety. Not just because you're conquering your fear of running alone, but because exercise is great for any sort of anxiety disorder.

I have anxiety disorder and I've conquered it. If you need any tips just send me a message and I'll share everything that has worked for me.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    take some pepper spray and face your fear. facing your fear makes you stronger
    have fun!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I got a Spibelt to carry my cell phone and ID for when I go for long runs but I have also done plenty of runs where I just carry my cell phone the whole time. If you need a group to run you may have to drive the 30 minutes to that running store for a run. It may seem silly but running outside is much more pleasant than the dreadmill.

I know a lot of women worry when they run; I see the startled look I sometimes get if I don't say "on your right" from sufficiently far away.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Find a RAD class and take it, then run outside till your heart's content. RAD classes are AMAZING!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Also how does everyone carry all their stuff on runs (cell phone, id ect) when I go with other people I never take anything because we figure if something happens we have the other one to help.

http://www.spibelt.com/
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I love in Brooklyn. Grew up in new York city. Lived in queens, Manhattan, and the Bronx. I've never been mugged, assaulted, or even witnessed a crime.

I find this hilarious.
  • skinny_bre
    skinny_bre Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I know a lot of women worry when they run; I see the startled look I sometimes get if I don't say "on your right" from sufficiently far away.

I am one of those girls haha! One time me and my cousin were on a fairly secluded path and this guy came up from behind soooooo quietly he didn't say anything at all and wasn't even breathing hard and we had no idea he was there until he passed infront of us and kept running and because he quite frankly snuck up on us it scared the **** out of me and I started screaming. And then I was pretty embarrassed haha.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Just go running.
  • cpkfan
    cpkfan Posts: 1
    Options
    I live in a ok area, not the best, I am not afraid. I just go. It takes some getting used to.