STARVING!!! after morning cereal

Options

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It's all carbs so it won't keep you full. Either switch to oatmeal and throw some protein powder into your oats or take the time to make a more filling breakfast like bacon and eggs.
  • rljohnsufl
    rljohnsufl Posts: 48
    Options
    The OP said oats give her acid reflux, which is actually true for me as well. Also, oatmeal is almost worse for my hunger than cereal. I'm ravenous 2 hours later. So everyone's different! I also can't do yogurt - not enough protein unless it's greek yogurt. And I seem to be allergic to greek yogurt - it gives me a sore, scratchy throat. :(

I find the best breakfast to keep me full is high protein and low sugar. Egg and egg whites omelet, egg and guac on toast, peanut butter and low sugar jelly on toast, protein shake with peanut butter, etc..
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cold cereal anymore for precisely this reason. I could eat 4 bowls and be hungry 30 minutes later. I eat protein for breakfast - either 2 eggs or greek yogurt. On occasion, a protein shake will do. Either way, high protein fills me up for hours.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with a lot of cereals. If I do have cereal, I will have it with some yogurt (especially Greek yogurt) for some protein which helps. Some cereals don't have the same effect - I seem to do okay with Mini Wheats. Just Right doesn't give me the " I'm STARVING" feeling that some do, but it doesn't exactly keep me full for long.
  • erinfrowe
    erinfrowe Posts: 1
    Options
    Cereal does nothing more me either. I'm always starving right after. I stick to a protein breakfast shake: 1 cup almond milk, protein powder, a handful of frozen blueberries (or whatever frozen fruit I have on hand) 1tbs almond butter (or peanut butter). That's it. Its super quick and easy. You can take it to go. And because it's high in low-fat protein, I'm good to go till lunch.
  • zdreamer
    zdreamer Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I absolutely can't eat cereal or I am starving for the day!!! I need a pretty hefty dose of protein in the morning and I am also not very useful early on.

I found that I make "egg cups" a few times and a week and my hubby and I always have a really simple "to go" food.

1) Oversized muffin tin
    2) I use a turkey sausage patty in the bottom of each cup (remember you could be very creative with these)
    3) Break egg over each patty
    4) Bake at 350 about 12 minutes or so until egg looks cooked
    5) Pull from oven and place 1/2 slice of cheese on to melt

Then these little guys are great to throw on a whole grain English muffin or just eat as they are.
    (Those mornings when I have no time to even toast the muffin..........I just take one and go)

Hope this helps.

You can also create mini omelette cups with this same idea.

Good luck and great job starting a new life.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    You should try oatmeal- I use a pouch for breakfast frequently and find it does a really good job at keeping me full.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast. No matter what I eat it makes me feel ravenous. I just avoid eating until around 11am. Cereal is the worst too, because not only does it not fill you up, you end up doing the cereal dance. You know, eat a bowl of cereal, and there's milk left, pour in more cereal, but it needs more milk, eat cereal, milk left...., add more cereal.... needs more milk......
  • WonTaunTaun
    WonTaunTaun Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I usually do the whole oatmeal thing, but when I'm feeling saucy I go for one scrambled egg with a dash of hot sauce (no oil, butter, or salt) and two slices of Jenni-O Turkey Bacon. <---My hubby says that turkey bacon is blasphemy, but then I caught him eating some and not complaining one bit. It's actually pretty good. ;)
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    Add some protein to your morning meal...will help keep you full longer
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Cereal or even oatmeal has never filled me up... even steel cut oats, which I absolutely loved. I am severely insulin resistant, so that's probably why (they spike my insulin levels). I need lots of fat and protein for breakfast to keep me satiated. Try a protein shake, eggs, ham, greek yogurt. Even a couple pieces of sprouted grain bread with peanut butter.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I've experienced that same thing. I don't know exactly why, but I do know that I feel fuller longer when I have eggs and yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, etc. Cold cereal does nothing for me except increase my appetite and leave me feeling unsatisfied. I could probably down a whole box and still be ready for lunch at 11am. If that's what you're craving, I recommend adding a banana and some almonds on the side. That should help keep you full longer.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Once a week I boil up a bunch of eggs, then I can just grab one as I'm heading out the door. They come in their own wrapper. Usually I'll also have a rice cake or a piece of fruit, and that gets me through till lunch time just fine. It sounds like you need a little bit of protein in the morning.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Cereal doesn't ever really do anything for me other than just taste good. I go for eggs with an english muffin or oatmeal most days and that is much more filling.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast. No matter what I eat it makes me feel ravenous. I just avoid eating until around 11am. Cereal is the worst too, because not only does it not fill you up, you end up doing the cereal dance. You know, eat a bowl of cereal, and there's milk left, pour in more cereal, but it needs more milk, eat cereal, milk left...., add more cereal.... needs more milk......

Not eating breakfast is counter-productive to losing weight (if that's what you're trying to do).
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Have some slices of ham. Yum!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I find ceral doesn't keep me full either, if you can have a mid morning snack like a piece of fruit or yogurt or granola bar
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Cereal alone will cause you to be hungry soon...I think there just isn't enough protein to tide you over.

If you still want to do cereal. Try 3/4 cup of cereal, 3/4 cup of berries, 3/4 milk and 8 cashews (or other nuts) along with an ounce of low fat cheese. This will help keep you longer

You can also do cottage cheese & fruit: I poach a small pear, small apple with cinnamon, add it to 1/2-3/4 of 2% low sodium cottage cheese and add 1 TBSP of walnuts

Protein shakes are good too (make them the night before): 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 2-3 cups of any greens, lettuce or spinach, 1/2 cup of carrots, 1 cup of any fruit, 1 small banana, 1/2 scoop of protein powder (I use raw hemp powder or brown rice protein powder), 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger (you can mix & match your greens and fruit to change it up)
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You need to add some protein.

A bowl of oatmeal with fresh (or frozen) fruit and a hard boiled egg would be a better choice. I eat that 3-4 times a week and it really sticks to the ribs.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    PROTEIN. Just like she said here ^^^