Mother's Day, 133 pounds difference

Options

Replies

• dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    There is kind of a high we get from losing another pound or getting a compliment or a comment on our weight loss. I would imagine that when that stops you would miss those little highs. I definitely do not look forward to maintenance, but you have inspired me. I guess I fear that I won't be able to do it when it's my turn so just seeing that someone is doing it successfully is encouraging. Thank you for giving me that today.

And as others have said, you look amazing and so happy and your son is adorable.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost as much weight as you (WAY TO GO!!), but I can definitely relate to the complacency. That is why I keep striving toward new physical challenges - running longer distances, harder courses, etc. This summer, I'm going to start training for a triathlon.

I'm seriously jealous of your fitness - real push-ups? WOW!! That's something I hope to one day achieve, too. You have come so far - keep finding new challenges. Mix it up. Try something you never thought you would do. It's still a journey, but with a different destination. Instead of weight loss, it's maintenance and new physical achievements. You can, and will, achieve your goals. :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Brilliant lady you are. Yes, in my not so humble opinion, Shannon does have a secret, and it's all in her blog. She is a phenomenal person to lead others to goal by the example set. It does NOT involve 1200 calories, turkey, or cauliflower. It does not involve endless cardio or weights only. It does not involve bashing of a fun weekend with family and friends. And it has no excuses. She's the first person I found here, and I know my eventual and future life as a fit person will be because of the information she had to offer--she's screened through the noise that's out there, and the wisdom and inspiration she imparts, along with a zest for life, is unmatched. Gorgeous and happy then. Gorgeous and happy now. Fit and healthy and kickass strong now. You are THE best role model. Your son is very very blessed, as are the rest of those who you have influenced here. :flowerforyou:
  • 81meg1L
    81meg1L Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance mode for 9 months now and - I hate to admit it - some of the novelty wears off.

I don't get the "omg, you look great!" comments from friends who haven't seen me in awhile anymore, because, well, they've all seen me.

The bliss of being able to shop anywhere, of buying size small shirts, of never having to set foot near a plus-size section? That's worn off. I no longer buy clothes JUST BECAUSE THEY FIT, which I used to do all the time. It was just so astounding to me that a dress that looks that tiny will fit my body so obviously I had to have it, but no more - I buy things because I actually want them, not because of the size on the tag. Good for my wallet, though, and my overflowing closet :)

I don't get as excited about gains in the gym anymore. Yes, I can fun faster. Yes, I can keep up in any group class. Yes, I can do real pushups while the other ladies are on their knees. Yes, I can lift more. It's old hat, you see.

I've started a new job, and no one here knows who I was before (who I was? weird way of phrasing it...let's try "how I looked." I'm the same person). People just assume this is how I've always been, a lunchtime gym-goer who rarely goes out to eat.

I feel great and energetic. But...I feel that way every day now.

And this is the kind of complacency that I don't want. I need to be reminded of where I've been so I don't go back. That's why I am posting this. Thank you for humoring me :)

This was me in June of 2010, a few months after my son was born (that smile is real; it's perfectly possible to be fat and happy).
    4920196632_102528e8f5.jpg

This was me last summer. This is the mom I want to be, the mom I am. Active and showing my son the world from within, not from the sidelines.
    photo5-1.jpg

This is Mother's Day, 2010 vs 2012 (I started losing weight in June of 2011):
    picstitch.jpg

And this was me with my boy on Sunday:
    5dce0315-eec6-4da9-83bd-0a1db55ca6db_zpsb8ede48a.jpg

What's good about the novelty wearing off though? My son won't remember his mom as tired and obese. He'll remember me as the one who takes him on hikes, who happily wears a bathing suit to swim in Lake Harriet with him, who is always up for a challenge, who NEVER says no to having a photo taken with him (how sad that I don't have a Mother's Day pic from 2011...).

Though I kind of miss the "wow, you look amazing!" comments I'm so grateful my son will grow up in a home where healthy food and attitudes and summers of camping and kayaking and adventure are the norm, so he will hopefully carry that with him for his whole life and give this gift to his own children some day.

I'm down 133 pounds and, though it's trite, I've gained so much more. I'm not going back, that's for certain.

(if you'd like to read more about me and my weight loss, check out my blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls )

I love your post! Definitely brought on the tears...in a good way! You look so fantastic. Are you still finding new adventures that you can take part in? Like skating, Tough Mudders, Marathons? I think adults use these challenges to continue that "A-ha Success!" feeling. :smooched:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Brilliant lady you are. Yes, in my not so humble opinion, Shannon does have a secret, and it's all in her blog. She is a phenomenal person to lead others to goal by the example set. It does NOT involve 1200 calories, turkey, or cauliflower. It does not involve endless cardio or weights only. It does not involve bashing of a fun weekend with family and friends. And it has no excuses. She's the first person I found here, and I know my eventual and future life as a fit person will be because of the information she had to offer--she's screened through the noise that's out there, and the wisdom and inspiration she imparts, along with a zest for life, is unmatched. Gorgeous and happy then. Gorgeous and happy now. Fit and healthy and kickass strong now. You are THE best role model. Your son is very very blessed, as are the rest of those who you have influenced here. :flowerforyou:

I just adore you. And not just because you never fail to make me tear up a bit at your kindness! I think you're just plain wonderful and appreciate you more than you know.

And I do like cauliflower ;)
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    I'm seriously jealous of your fitness - real push-ups? WOW!! That's something I hope to one day achieve, too. You have come so far - keep finding new challenges. Mix it up. Try something you never thought you would do. It's still a journey, but with a different destination. Instead of weight loss, it's maintenance and new physical achievements. You can, and will, achieve your goals. :flowerforyou: :drinker:
    I love your post! Definitely brought on the tears...in a good way! You look so fantastic. Are you still finding new adventures that you can take part in? Like skating, Tough Mudders, Marathons? I think adults use these challenges to continue that "A-ha Success!" feeling

These are great reminders that successes can still be found :) I do plan on running a half marathon this fall and the Twin Cities Marathon in 2014.

As for Tough Mudder: they electrocute you!! Electrocution by choice! lol. not sure I can pay money to do that ;)
  • akarney
    akarney Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are such an inspiration! The main reason I want to lose weight is not only to have a healthy pregnancy in the future, but also so I can be a great mom like you! Way to go!!! Your son is so lucky to have such an active mom!
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Ok this almost made me cry a little bit, happy tears of course! So beautifully written and so very inspiring! You are AMAZINGGGGGGGG!!!!!! My daughter and I walk lake Harriet/Calhoun/Nokomis now and I am in the stages of being the center of attention because of my accomplishments, getting into new sizes, conquering certain classes and I feel like a lot of that keeps me going when I want to stop. But this post has help me put into perspective why we are REALLY changing our lives. Thank you for this!!! Totally awesome :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself.... what an inspiration!

Thank you for sharing!:flowerforyou:
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    My daughter and I walk lake Harriet/Calhoun/Nokomis now

If you see me and my son, say hi! We live off the parkway and bike/walk/run the creek and lakes all the time :)

Congrats on your accomplishments :)
  • viridianasan
    viridianasan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Your story is truly motivational and just amazing! Thank you for sharing! I needed this today :)
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Thank u for answering......I ended up reading some of ur blogs....it was interesting....tnx for sharing ur tips n ur journey....would love to have u as a friend...
    I got confused as well with the tdee n eating exercise cals....
    I calculated my tdee on the Internet with sedentary n eat exercise cals back? Should I change it lightly active or moderate? I'm a stay at home mom, home school my 2 boys n take care of my 1 yr old. I lift 2-3 days a wk, non lifting days, I try to do the c25K or Jillian michaels ripped in 30 or Jnl fusion workout...I'm 37, 5'4".
    Tnx in advance
    Job well done????
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    That's so inspirational! Thanks for sharing!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, and the fact that you are in maintenance for so long makes it even more hardcore! I think maintenance is the hardest part in many ways.
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Love the story and you look amazing!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    What a beautifully written post, from beginning to end! Congratulations on everything you have achieved! I am inspired by you and am uplifted by your positive attitude.

It must be an odd feeling when all the accomplishments seem a bit distant, and the new aims seem a bit small compared to losing all of that weight. But the knowledge that you accomplished a whole body (and mind) transformation will be one you carry with you for the rest of your life. Even if the new people in your life don't know, you always will!

Be proud! You look amazing and sound so fit! Thank you for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • pajomu
    pajomu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You are so inspiring, Shannon! As suggested somewhere along the line, you really should write a book about your experiences, success, challenges. You deserve all the accolades here and more!

I will be cheering for you at the marathon in 2014!
  • mjhelton
    mjhelton Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Shannon, You are amazing....
    I've been following your progress since January 2012, you are such an inspiration! And I know what you mean when the newness of it wears off and you no longer get all those great compliments. But maybe that is what we on MFP are for! For the once in a while "Damn Girl you look great" LOL... Well it is the truth. You look amazing and I can't agree with you more on the fact that you want you child to grow up in a healthy, happy home! I want the exact same for my kids. It was always my worst fear of having my children be over weight. I was a "chunky" kid, never really got made fun of, but Just was never truely happy with my body and I'm finally getting there and I want my kids to see that healthy is fun and amazing!
    ~Meg :0)
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Incredible Job..
  • kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! You should be so proud of the work you have done and continue to do to stay healthy and be a good role model for your son. I've heard that the hardest part about losing weight is actually keeping it off, and I would bet that this feeling of complacency is a big part of that! I would recommend setting up a reward system for yourself to help keep yourself on track. Like for every month that you stay in your healthy range, you get a massage, or something that pampers you without it being food related. Just because you've hit your goal doesn't mean you don't deserve just as much credit for staying there!

Stay strong, sister, and keep tracking on MFP, that will help keep you honest, too :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!