Movie Theater Snacks?

Options
I've always enjoyed a snack at the movies my entire life. Since starting my journey I stopped because nothing is worth that many calories to me. I'm wondering what alternatives other movie buffs might have thought of.

Replies

• craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I sneak my own stuff in...my own trail mix, my own drinks etc...

I simply refuse to max my credit card for a popcorn and large drink.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I don't go that often but I buy the kid's snack pack that has a small drink, about a cup and a half of popcorn, and a small candy. This way I still feel like I have had my treat but I'm not eating a whole bag and large drink. Since I plan for it I'm still within my calorie count.
  • juniperleaves
    Options
    You can bring your own light popcorn, or I like to bring fruit (like grapes) or really anything that fits into a little baggie and in my purse! haha
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I get their popcorn & use my butter spray... Plus an Atkins bar for my candy! :bigsmile: feel completely satisfied and get my whole movie experience!
  • alejandralozano89
    Options
    Def sneak your own stuff in!
    Going to the movies without snacks is NO fun! lol
    Take your own light popcorn in a zipploc bag, trail mix (not too much though, you should watch the fat and sugar content on those), a 100 calorie pack snack, celery and carrot sticks with a light dip... YUM!!
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You can do some junior mints or something. They aren't too bad - just don't eat that entire giant box! haha
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    I just take in my own...usually something like a Kashi chocolate granola bar and some water...

We usually eat before hand at home anyways, no need to add in much extra...
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    We dont go that often but when we do I plan for it.. I plan a workout before, drink a little extra water before and after and if I can work out the next day I will.
  • hakudoshi82
    hakudoshi82 Posts: 29
    Options
    All good ideas and thoughts. Thanks everyone =)
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Have to sneak stuff in to get anything close to healthy. My theatre has the Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwiches, that's about the best sweet treat from the theatre. I get the Cherry Coke Zero too.

Stuff to sneak in:

String Cheese
    Skinny Pop Popcorn (or similar popcorn) in multiple ziploc bags
    Orange Tic Tacs helps with wanting the candy treat 1.9 calories each - whole container is 120 calories for 60
    Apple Slices, Grapes, basically any fruit.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Regal Entertainment Group, the largest movie theater chain in the country, also provides the largest disaster in move theater popcorn. It pops in coconut oil, which is 90 percent saturated. I encourage you to move your cardiologist's phone number to your speed dial before the lights go down. AMC, the nation's second-largest chain, also pops in coconut oil.

Cinemark, my favorite, deserves some applause. The nation's third largest chain pops in non-hydrogenated canola oil instead of coconut. My significant other and I share the tub with no butter, and we sneak in our drink. The free refill on the popcorn comes in handy at times.

Due to the cardboard material and its wider opening, the tub has the added benefit of not being noisy. It's furthermore beyond me why people voluntarily choose to be ripped off by purchasing the small sizes, some of which are requested with butter.
  • jrortega1912
    jrortega1912 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Candy: Hot Tamales(small box):heart:
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I sneak in home made trail mix or sugar snap peas!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I put coconut oil ON my popcorn when I pop it at home! :tongue: It's delicious! I fry my eggs in it too.

Anyway - I occasionally splurge on the movie popcorn, hold the butter flavoring - gag! I learned years ago, before i started eating healthier, that the butter stuff gives me a stomach ache anyway. If I get a coupon for a $2 popcorn with my movie card, I might get it.

Otherwise, I bring in my own water bottle, raw almonds tossed with a few chocolate chips or chocolate almonds I have them. Raisins, string cheese, sliced apples, grapes - that usually holds me through a movie. :bigsmile:
  • cynthiadmail
    cynthiadmail Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When we go to the movie I carry my movie purse and i definitely sneak stuff in.
    1. None of its healthy enough to put my hands on.
    2. It all costs WAY to much.
  • Silvervixen79
    Silvervixen79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love the buttered popcorn they sell in the cinema and no store bought or homemade seems to do it for me in the same way... but it is nearly 1000 calories!!!! I have gone to see movies alot less in recent years.. and sadly the popcorn issue is one of the main reasons!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    When I go to a movie theater, I bring my biggest purse and sneak in a bottle of champagne. If I'm being dragged to a chick flick, I don't share.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I never have snacks at the movies even if not trying to lose weight - there is nothing worse than watching a movie to the sound of people munching loudly. And I see poeple with HUGE trays of food and drink - who then have to go to the bathroom halfway through ebcause they've ahd a fire-bucket full of Coke. Eat before you go, or watch a DVD at home.

And especially don't bring in huge bacgs of nachos to a quiet movie.

And turn off your phone.

Can you guess I don't like poeple eating in the movies? :grumble:
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Regal Entertainment Group, the largest movie theater chain in the country, also provides the largest disaster in move theater popcorn. It pops in coconut oil, which is 90 percent saturated. I encourage you to move your cardiologist's phone number to your speed dial before the lights go down. AMC, the nation's second-largest chain, also pops in coconut oil.

Cinemark, my favorite, deserves some applause. The nation's third largest chain pops in non-hydrogenated canola oil instead of coconut. My significant other and I share the tub with no butter, and we sneak in our drink. The free refill on the popcorn comes in handy at times.

Due to the cardboard material and its wider opening, the tub has the added benefit of not being noisy. It's furthermore beyond me why people voluntarily choose to be ripped off by purchasing the small sizes, some of which are requested with butter.

Ooh I never thought to cook popcorn with coconut oil before.

I'll think ill have ii as a snack today
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If I have the calories, I get popcorn. If not, I don't. I enjoy the movie either way.