FAA--- Food Addicts Anonymous?

Options
Hi, my name is Helena and apparently I am a food addict.

But not all the time.

And not when I'm busy.... But when I'm busy I make excuses to not make my meals for the day.

And when I have food at my house to cook, I think about how delicous [insert random fast food] would be.

I am gluttonous. I feel like I can't control myself. I set these aspirations that for some reason I feel like I can never accomplish.

Now, I am a stepmother. I want to be a mommy-friend to this beautiful little boy and I don't want to be fat. I don't want to be the wheezing disgusting motherfigure. I don't have that going for me yet. Thankfully weird genetics and stress maybe have made all of my weight gain (or at least most of it) in my midregion. So imagine me buying clothes?

On top I wear a M/L depending on the designer/brand. On bottom I wear normally like XXL or in the horrendous occasion that I find something that runs small it is XXXL (GASP!)

Oh but my legs are smaller than women that are toned nicely. I can still wear most calf-knee high boots without any kind of disgusting ripples.

Its okay I guess, because most people don't realize how much I weigh and depending on what I wear, I can get away with people thinking I am thinner than I actually am.

How do I break this vicious cycle? How do I get everything done that I have to get done in a day? How do I balance EVERYTHING? How do I make healthy choices without spending retarded amounts of money on food? How do I make time to workout, spend time with my spouse, cook, clean, hang out with my friends, spend time with my stepson, and spend time with my doggies?

How do I keep my fat @$$ out of McDonalds? I don't even like Mcdonalds. I have officially eaten so much fast food that real date night is Phil and I staying home, cooking together and then playing chess and having a little fun together. So explain to me why, if I don't even like fast food, I keep eating it?

That's my rant for tonight. I guess just looking for other people that have the same issue or did when they first started trying to lose weight.

Replies

• hayz182
    Options
    I was just about to post a topic just like this.

I am feeling pretty defeated today... it's like I can't stop eating. I never feel full or satisfied. Even when I eat 2000 calories a day I still feel ravenous. I too would love some feedback on how to stop this cycle. It is making me miserable.

Today I was looking through my cabinets and I just HAD to make cookies because I had everything to make them and I couldn't focus on anything but cookies until I finally cooked them and ate them. UGH...

So I guess step one is to throw away ALL sugar in my house and ALL flour for that matter. And leave my money at home so that I'm not tempted to go buy donuts or fast food every time I go into town to drop my kiddo off at school.

I SO thought that I was alone and that people would think I was crazy because I'm addicted to FOOD... I felt like I would be laughed at!!

I'm going to add you as a friend and maybe we can get through this together!!! I know if there is someone holding me accountable I can usually do anything.

Let's start tomorrow by cleaning out our cupboards and fridge.
  • leanjessica
    leanjessica Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for a post like this. You both wrote EXACTLY what I feel on pretty much a daily basis. I wake up and think about food, eat, then think about what I will eat next. I never seem to feel totally full. Some days are ok and I can stay on track then there are the bad days when I find myself in the Taco Bell drive thru ordering food that will make me feel horrible later, both physically and mentally.

When I lost weight before I did a diet that gave you meals to eat every day. I lost around 30 pounds but gained 10 pounds after I stopped eating the "special" food and was making my own food. At the same time a good friend of mine was following the FAA plan and worked with a sponsor, she lost close to 50 pounds and never gained it back. I always assumed it was because she had to change her lifestyle and because her sponsor held her accountable.

Thanks for sharing it makes me feel like I'm not totally alone in trying to lose weight!
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Fast food is addicting. If there aren't chemicals in it that make it addicting (I am sure there are but I don't know for a fact) then the simple sugars/simple carbs are DEFINITELY addicting. So the more you eat it the more you crave it. It's a cycle that has to be broken. I used to have bouts of binge eating where I would drive up to two or three fast food places and order a few things off their value menus then shovel the food into my mouth while driving to the next one. I hated that I did it but I kept doing it. Part of it was emotional eating, it was like drinking booze to numb pain but instead my booze was greasy, fatty food. It took a lot of effort to break the habit but I did it and I am sure you can too. Just take one goal at a time. For now make your goal NO FAST FOOD. Then once you feel like that one is under control and not a struggle for you move to the next goal.

For my weight loss experience I have learned that:

1. I never take it off as fast as I put it on.
    2. It's a goal oriented proceess so I must make goals and then work to achieve them.
    3. Baby steps are more attainable. If I set myself up for success then I don't get discourage and I don't feel like a failure.
    4. Exercise is important but DIET is 80% of it (if not more).
    5. Food is a necessity, it's everywhere and we use it for all reasons. I choose my relationship to it. If I want to have birthday cake I eat it on MY birthday. Not yours, not theirs, I mean..birthday cake could be eaten all the time if I celebrated everyones birthday. So I don't. If I know a big meal is in the plan (Thanksgiving, a work dinner, the Friday night date..) then I work out, eat very healthy before and allow myself to eat with some pleasure. If I want fries I get fries but I don't eat the Burger and fries together. Maybe a chicken breast with veggies and fries. Or I want a burger I eat a burger but instead of fries a salad.

Number 5 is hard if you are truly a food addict. If you try this and can't control yourself then checking out an FAA meeting is probably best. The program works for people who want it. It's structured and you have a sponsor for support.

NOne of us know how long our life is...we have to live each day like it could be our last. So why continue living hating ourselves or feeling like we can't do it?! WE CAN and We WILL! It's possible.
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am glad to find this post. I too am addicted to food and I hate it. I am too ashamed to talk to anyone I know about it. Even my husband because he was an alcholic and I begged him for years to quit until he finally did. So I feel bad telling him that I am addicted to food. I mean alcohol is a hard thing to quit and I feel like my addiction doesnt deserve the same "respect" (for lack of better words) then mine does.

I am too the point where I have a love/hate relationship with food. I crave it soooo much but hate that I eat it. So I guess its a love for food and hate that I give in to my cravings. Its just that I think about food all the time even when I am eating I am thinking about dessert. Do any of you have this issue?

Most of the time its all I can think about... obessing until I just give it so that I can go on with my day.
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a food addict as well. Its hard to overcome, but one thing that I've learned from the people around me, and myself is that once an addict always an addict. That doesn't mean however that you can't control it. The cravings will always be there, and you will slip up every once in a while, however that's perfectly fine! You are allowed to have falls, as long as you get back up, you must be careful with is that if you do fall, don't stay down just because of the guilt of having fallen. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start again! The slips will start to get fewer and farther between, and you'll only have them once in a while.
  • lorifulton89
    lorifulton89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Finding this thread couldn't have happened at a better time for me and reading all of the posts here just reminded me that I am not the only one with this issue...that I am not imaging this problem and that I cannot let it control me.

I made up my mind after christmas, after stepping on the scale and seeing 249lbs on the scale that I was not going to get to 250lbs. I cut out all sugar and flour from my diet. The first few days were hard...really hard...I wanted to give in so many times...I really have a big addiction to coca-cola, but also pasta. I got through those days somehow by keeping myself busy. After just a few days off of the sugar and flour, my head started to clear and I physically felt better...that feeling spurred me to continue and I did really well for 3 months. I had lost 29lbs and felt so much better. I thought I had this addiction licked...and my husband and I do a lot of traveling (camping, vacations, family events)...I have a hard time planning food for these, though I had done a decent job from February to April...but them we had a camping trip last weekend...and it was with my in-laws...which to be honest, tends to stress me out because I just feel like I do not measure up to what they would like to have for daughter-in-law. (I know this is a low self-esteem issue...had this problem my whole life) Suddenly I was just eating whatever everyone else was for the weekend and didn't seem to think twice about it. My husband gave me a strange look...but he knew better than to address me about it...and the downward spiral went from there.

When we got back on Sunday, I literally wanted to eat everything I had denied myself over the last three months and throughout this last week...I have worked hard to accomplish that goal. Last night I think I ate more crap than I have ever, in my life, eaten in one setting and two hours later I felt emotionally and physically miserable. To add insult to injury, I have not done any walking in over 10 days.

I woke up this morning feeling sick to my stomach and my head feels fuzzy...like I have a food hangover.

I am heading out for a walk right now...I have got to regain control....wish me success....and thanks to everyone here for the honesty and reality in your posts...you might have just saved my life.
  • slugkiller
    slugkiller Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It is really good to have found this thread - I've been reading the "emotional eaters" groups but these don't really described what I experience. Like the other posters above, I do ok some days, although I am still food-obsessed, but every week or so I fall off the wagon spectacularly.

I don't feel bad during these times - I actually enjoy myself eating and drinking whatever I like. Obviously, feel awful afterwards - logging all those calories, my MFP friends must see it and despair but they are kind enough to be positive. I know what it takes to burn all those calories and I am ruining my own chances of success for short term gratification.

Its sooooo annoying!

On the plus side, I have managed to stay on top of my demons today. Normally I would have binged by now as I have had a very busy day and I would defend it by saying I have "earned" a treat. Staying strong by reading these posts, let's hope it continues.

p.s. any fellow suffers can add me for support ;-)
  • lambchoplewis
    lambchoplewis Posts: 797
    Options
    I am addicted to food also. I think about it all the time. I plan my meals and wait for the next meal. I can be full and still would like to eat everything in site. When I have a binge, I can eat 3000 calories and feel like crap. I know the "food hangover" feeling. But.... I have been doing this less and less. I have been maintaining for 9 months and weigh myself every day. I know this is controversial as you must be able to handle the 2-3 lb gain even if you have been eating correctly. I do this to try to stop from shoving things into my mouth as I know I will have to face the scale in the morning. I then put in my food and exercise. I read some of these blogs to stay motivated.

I wish I was no addicted to food but I am. Thanks for these msgs as they help.
  • lorifulton89
    Options
    I know what you mean about weighing yourself often lambchoplewis...I find that I am obsessive about weighing myself...but it seems to help me more than hinder me. If I see my weight increase it helps me to reign myself in, so-to-speak. I keep tighter track of my calories and exercise even more.

I know what you mean slugkiller, I am constantly food-obsessed as well...though once I stopped eating sugar and white flour foods, my obsession started to decrease. I did really well for about 3 months and then fell off of the wagon last week and found myself food-obsessed once again. It was a really bad week, and I fell of the myfitnesspal grid, but a friend from this site reached out to me and helped to pull me back. I thought it would be harder to get back on track, but it actually wasn't...and that was encouraging for me. This is the soonest I have every gotten back on track...and that makes me feel like I might have turned a corner in my food addiction.

I know that for me, when I go on a binge, I cannot seem to be satisfied and my inner voice says "well you've already blown it, so you might as well eat everything you want" and then I go back to that "I'll re-start my diet tomorrow" statement...the problem is that tomorrow never comes.
  • CandyMouse
    CandyMouse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    :smile: OMG! Me too. About an hour ago, for whatever reason, I ate a Burger king HB, which was not all that good. Way too many calories ( and points) , yet I am still hungry. It will be all I can do to resist raiding the fridge for something 'good'.

I once went to Over eaters Anonymous..and it helped for awhile. It was just that the group ended up having more women that were anorexic. Obviously, I did not relate to that, and eventually dropped out.

Maybe I should check to see if nowadays, it is done online. It really helped a lot at the time.
  • lilalatzhose
    Options
    Hello everybody,
    (First of all: I do realyze there are a lot of "I"s in my post. My English is not good enough to write more elegant :-((( )
    I want to share my story with you to show you that it is not impossible to do!!!
    I am from Germany. I have always loved to eat junk food. I have been a real binge eater. Fortunately it never showed and I have always been skinny -until I became an exchange student in Indiana. I gained really fast and got addicted to fat. At school all I could think about was lunch/dinner. First it made me feel sick. Then I became lazy. Then depressed and really big. Never would I have thought those changes were possible just because of food.
    Fat is addictive! I honestly believe it is THE hardest addiction to quit. Why?
    1. Becaue you cannot "just" stop eating. You HAVE to eat. Or you die.
    2. Food -opposed to drugs- is easy to get.
    2. It is not commonly percieved as an addiction. (People will not tell a drunk to just quit. They will not tell a junky that either. But they DO tell big people to "just eat less". How f***** up is that?!)
    3. The results (weight loss) take long to show.
    I lost all that weight and started feeling better immediately. It is a constant struggle, though.
    I cannot tell you what to do. I can only tell you how I did it.
    1. I had to accept that food is not the enemy.
    2. I learned to appreciate good food.
    3. I would rather eat small quantities of very good/tasty/expensive food (fresh fruit, Steak, Kaviar, Carpaccio, Goat cheese, fresh natural jughurt etc.), than large quantities of bad food (plain pasta, pizza, fries). Think about it! Honestly...does a pack of fries actually have any taste of its own -without salt and Ketchup?
    4. I started to think about what is good and useful stuff to have at home (loads of fruit, vegetables, salad, olive oil, rice, couscous, milk, plain joghurt etc.) and buy only that. (Any kind of candy/chocolate/chips I had at home, I would eat at once. So I decided to just not buy that stuff anymore.)
    5. It is always a good idea to go grocery shopping AFTER eating. I try never to go shopping hungry to not by unnecessary food, especially snacks.
    6. The most important thing I had to learn is this: If I fall off the waggon -and it does happen more often than I like- I do not give in. I do NOT tell myself "F***! I ate that piece of cake, when I really shouldnt have. Now I might as well eat the bag of chips ant that bar of chocolate." No! I tell myself "Ok. I slipped. So what? It happens to the best of us. I did enjoy that cake, but now I will not feel bad, because of a bad conscience. I will feel good, because it gives me the possibility to get back on track."
    I hope I could inspire some of you, because I have been there.
    Hopefully I did not offend anybody. If I did, I did not mean to. Sorry.
    Alex
  • CandyMouse
    Options
    Thank you. Not too many "I"s at all. After all, dieting is kind of an "I " thing. lol True, you can't just STOP eating. Often, I wish I could. It would be easier to NOT think of food at all..that to try to limit it. I don't know.
  • CandyMouse
    Options
    Great post! :smile:
  • lilalatzhose
    Options
    @CandyMouse
    Do you think it would help to REALLY think about food? I mean to plan every meal. So it is healthy AND tasty.
    Like Bircher Muesli for breakfast, grilled fish with loads of vegetables/baked potato and a huge salad with goat cheese, different seeds (sunflower, pine, pumpkin...), tuna etc. with fresh herbs and just a little bit of oil (Ever tried pumpkin seed oil?) and balsamico vinegar.
    After I gut used to great food, I did not want to eat burgers and fries anymore.
  • lorifulton89
    Options
    I wish I could get in the habit of planning every meal to that level of detail...I do pretty well with breakfast and lunch most days...at least Monday - Friday when I am working...however the weekends are always a bit more challenging for me because my husband likes to cook and he may want something different than what I had in mind for dinner or lunch.

He loves food as much as I do..but he has a pretty active job that helps him to keep his weight down.

Eating fatty rich foods used to be our thing that we had in common as a couple...you know, we would watch Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and then try to go to the places that were within driving distance that we would see on the show and do our own evaluation. That practice has pretty much came to a halt since I changed my eating habits...now we have to find a different thing to do as a couple...lol
  • dijanulka
    dijanulka Posts: 5
    Options
    Do you think that you can ever completely get rid of that?

Because you know, one terrible thing about addictions is that sooner or later, you might start doing it again, in no time, to the same extent. So you can;t say you have overcome your addiction 100 percent...

Well I have been biting my nails for the greater part of my life, maybe 10+ years, recently I stopped and I was doing great for,like, 6 months- then I started again. And my nails today are in the same state:) I had been smoking, for,like, 1 year, not so much at all and irregularly, that was from 1cigarette/month to half of the pack/evening. I made myself stop almost 1 year ago but I still feel the urge. I sometimes fight myself really hard inide because I know if I buy this one more package- I'm there again.

So the same is with food, don't you think so? You can be doing absolutely healthy and fine, and one day you just buy chocolate bar-and eat it whole, alone, feeling that you even do not want it- and here it starts again. What do you think? maybe it's different for those who have been successful doing a diet for more than 1 week:)
  • dijanulka
    dijanulka Posts: 5
    Options
    @CandyMouse
    Do you think it would help to REALLY think about food? I mean to plan every meal. So it is healthy AND tasty.
    Like Bircher Muesli for breakfast, grilled fish with loads of vegetables/baked potato and a huge salad with goat cheese, different seeds (sunflower, pine, pumpkin...), tuna etc. with fresh herbs and just a little bit of oil (Ever tried pumpkin seed oil?) and balsamico vinegar.
    After I gut used to great food, I did not want to eat burgers and fries anymore.

Yeah, it really helps! You can get the same level of enjoyment by buying another pack of cookies and, for example, some kind of vegetable that you never cooked before, only the latter is way healthier:) You know what I mean? But you know, there are two things...I realize it now, First, sometimes you are too busy to make these fancy meals, and it feels so great just to buy something simple,stuffing and probably unhealthy, Second, and I notice it only now... sometimes it really seems that you have no other concerns in life but thinking about food: what is healthy, what has less sugar etc etc. I miss this feeling now when I'm on a diet when you can just go to the supermarket and buy whatever you feel like eating today without thinking too much. it feels kind of shallow to dedicate so much of my time and attention for food...

P.S. what's o special about pumpkin seed oil?I think we have some, never tired it though..
  • MVH26
    MVH26 Posts: 13
    Options
    this thread is awesome. I can see myself in so many of the posts here that its scary on one hand that we do this... but its nice to know I'm not alone.

I am a binge eater, sometimes I pretend to order two meals (He wants a no 2 with a diet soda, and I want... ) yeah they are all for me, ill eat them before I get home so no one will look at me. Or my husband wont yell at me for getting McDonald's (we don't eat McDonald's at the house, husband was a big watcher of Super Size Me)

Sometimes at work, Ill take two candy bars instead of one -- and lamely leave an IOU like the rest of the staff has done.

Don't take money -- doesn't work, Ill leave an IOU
    We don't eat McDonald's - I do, at 3 AM
    Husband sees fast food, and says "What are you doing? -- I've stopped using the card, and carry cash to binge.

I've got all the tricks. I need help.
  • JustCallMeTori
    JustCallMeTori Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this post. My husband has joked for years that I am addicted to food. Most days I never feel full no matter how muchiI eat. Many times I will see something on TV or think about a certain dish and until I get up and either make it or go out for it I can't think or focus on anything until said tasty morsel is in my mouth. I've put in 30 lbs since my husband an I met and I fear putting on another in our next decade together.

I've been on the emotional eaters pages and don't associate myself with that because I don't eat when I have a certain emotion, I eat or think about eating all day long

I've also used the "pretend to order for two" trick in the drive thru. Even making sure o order two different drinks with the meals because surely that makes the fast food drive thru person totally think I'm buying breakfast for someone else. Nope, those two tasty egg mcmuffins and has browns are for me. Sigh.

Glad I found this post.

Especially after my bag of baked chip, bucket of strawberries, cool whip straight from the container, cinnamon toast and spoonuls of peanut butter I just ate in a few short hours binge. Gag.
  • Nuccia2012
    Nuccia2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump