Comments From FB Friends... Awkward?

Options
So, as I type this out, I know it sounds ridiculous. I'll just start with that.

I have a dear friend on Facebook who lives in Mexico, and asked me to upload a new picture to Facebook because mine was oldish and she's just like that. :P So, I did... and now I'm getting a ridiculous number of comments on it from family/people I never see or talk to/etc, telling me how great I look and how I've lost so much weight, and I'm, just like... "uh... thanks?"

I'm all super-excited when I lose weight, and I update my pictures on here, but it just feels awkward to have other people noticing/commenting/etc. That's especially true because I just don't discuss my weight, my weight loss, etc with people on Facebook at all, for the most part. Anyone else have that issue?

Replies

• Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I'd rather just post all my pics on here, at least all my MFP friends know where im coming from when i post a pic. my FB friends are like "OMG, you are so skinny, what are you doing?" or **** like that...I like to try and keep my MFP and FB lives separate...lol
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options
    Haha, but can you really go without EVER updating a picture on Facebook? I get annoying demands from people... or The Mister and I will take pictures if we go on some grand adventure, and he ALWAYS shares and tags me in them.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have out the odd quote on about changing my lifestyle, I haven't holdmany people the real reason for my lifestyle change and I don't think I will, it is personal and no one needs to know

quotes like this
    We can reverse years of damage to our bodies by deciding to raise our standards for ourselves, then living differently. Old wounds heal, injuries repair, and the whole system improves with just a few changes in what we put into our bodies and how we move them.

sorry not much I am sorry,maybe someone else will
  • SenseiCole
    Options
    Haha, but can you really go without EVER updating a picture on Facebook? I get annoying demands from people... or The Mister and I will take pictures if we go on some grand adventure, and he ALWAYS shares and tags me in them.

I had my wedding pic, this one for years, I now have pic of my kids

if you have a cat or dog try that, or a flower from garden or the sunset or something like that, if you don't want to post a pic of yourself you don't have too

no can make you do anything you don't want to do, unless you let them. the power is in your own hands not other

write your ow story, don't let other write it for you
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I have out the odd quote on about changing my lifestyle, I haven't holdmany people the real reason for my lifestyle change and I don't think I will, it is personal and no one needs to know

You know, I wonder if this isn't a big part of my issue. A lot of my reason for wanting to lose is because I have PCOS, and we'd really, really love kids... but discussing my fertility issues with those same people who are commenting would be really uncomfortable.
  • yogabycrystal
    Options
    here I am starting over and am so inspired i have lost 70 pounds gained some back doing the yo yo stuff and i got about 11 pounds to go and yea i agree its akward on fb
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I updated my fb pic for the first time a week ago. It spawned 60+ comments. Most of those were positive about how well I was doing but it does get a little embarrassing.

I suppose people need to realise I've changed (and so do I). They'll get used to it soon enough but the "coming out" is definitely a little awkward.

I wrote a blog post about it at the time. Here it is:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ozigal
  • SenseiCole
    Options

You know, I wonder if this isn't a big part of my issue. A lot of my reason for wanting to lose is because I have PCOS, and we'd really, really love kids... but discussing my fertility issues with those same people who are commenting would be really uncomfortable.

fertility issues are between you and you partner and poss your mum or a friend/sister. it is not for others to comment, tell the mind their own bussiness,

I can have kids I know where you are at, i now have 4 lovely adopted children
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I keep them separate my settings at one stage was posting my exercise to FB I kept getting comments on how well I was doing and how did I have the energy and all that,well meaning I know but it looked like I was showing off so I stopped it!:smile:
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

even when i go on vacation i rarely will post pics if i am in them...i am so serious on that too....not many of my FB friends want to see pics...its pretty sad...i think they forgot im there...maybe its because i spend all my time here!!!!
  • RJay64
    RJay64 Posts: 135
    Options
    I don't feel the need to reply to every comment on FB. If you see a comment and an answer doesn't come to you naturally - if you have to hmm and errr about what to say - don't say anything.

Sometimes I just hit "like" on a comment, and that is my reply.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Wait . . . . they have Facebook in Mexico?
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Wait . . . . they have Facebook in Mexico?

Bahahahaha!

Seriously, though, you guys are all awesome. :D And I'm really, really glad it's not just me that runs into that. I think I'll just like the comments and call it good... and leave my picture alone until I'll inevitably be tagged in pictures on vacation.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of my FB friends are not into exercise, at all. LOL. And discussing weight loss is always awkward, I think. Not just for the person who has lost a bunch of weight, but for the other people trying to discuss it as well. I avoid that as well.

My Fitocracy account was updating my FB page--posting entire workouts! It made me feel like an *kitten*, like I was gloating or fishing for compliments, so I quickly figured out how to disable that and deleted all the posts it made.

I hate being tagged in FB photos, period.
  • mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm different. I have shared everything with everyone. I find that being so extremely candid has led me to find some true friends and supporters in the FB community. I didn't know that I had so many people rooting for me.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly like attention, so I feel the same way. (Unless it's from my boyfriend...I like that. haha).
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It's kind of crappy to lose weight have have no one notice too.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    tHATS NOT AN ISSUE ...........
    WHAT ISSUE ARE U HAVING>?????
    PEOPLE ARE COMPLIMENTING YOU
    LEARN TO TAKE COMPLIMENTS AND BE HAPPY
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I only use Facebook to collect cat gifs
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I am holding off on posting any facebook pics until I have lost an overwhelming amount of weight because I kind of like that attention haha.