Wine-Lovers, I need recommendations!

Options

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I'm cheap and love sweet wines so Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling is one of my favorites. :smile:

love that one!!

I like white wines...the middle sister wines are pretty good. Wicked white is my fave of those.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    oooh! Just saw someone posted Apothic Red - that is a delish blend!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying Cupcake Vineyard's Red Velvet for a couple months now! So so good!

Been wanting to try Layer Cake as well. haha
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My main experience with wine is boxed wine (gross) and Yellowtail (equally gross). So, any recommendations on a decently priced wine to try? What do you drink?

Define decently priced
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    apothic red is pretty good!

edit: someone already posted it. lol.

cupcake is good, the red velvet one. it's not sweet like it sounds like it would be.

dr. zenzen vino noir used to be one of my favourites. but it's so sweet. tastes like juice.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    ChocolateRouge.jpg

This stuff is delicious!! My sister bought it for my birthday last month and it's amazing. It's quite sweet, more of a dessert wine, but it's so, so yummy.
  • jangier
    jangier Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hogue Late Harvest Riesling - $10/bottle and so good and very sweet! I think only about 120 calories per glass.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Wines from the Napa valley are great. Not too cheap, but good. I like Sterling and wines from the Castillo Amorosa (their rose is great).

As for dirt cheap and a headache the next day, well for that you have Trader Joe's. They tast great, but can give me a headache for about 4-5 bucks a pop.
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I prefer a sweeter white, Chenin Blanc is my favorite but so far I've only found two brands- Beringer and Llano. It's delicious and not too expensive. Barefoot pinot grigio is good as well, any Riesling, and most sauvignon blancs.
  • doodle_b
    doodle_b Posts: 3
    Options
    Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio is the best there is. You can get it for under $11 usually.
  • mari213
    mari213 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Kendall Jackson and Robert Mondavi are my two best buds in reds & Meritage.. which is my favorite! My new favorite Chardonnay is Estancia! The Estancia normally sells for about $11 a bottle, but I have a Sam's Club membership where I can get it for $8 & change. I guess it all depends on your preference... I don't do sweet. I'm sweet enough! :bigsmile:
  • Jonahyona
    Jonahyona Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Boxed wine is super classy. Can never go wrong with Franzia.....My opinion is biased because I'm in college....:laugh:
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I'm not a wine snob, but boyfriend and I like Beringer White Zin - and at Target it's only 4.99 a bottle (and 120 kcals for 6 ounces.)

Everyone is recommending cupcake red velvet - i love it. I'm not of a blush/white wine gal, but once in a while when I want a red that's my go to.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    luna di luna. very good for a $12 bottle.
    i love a chardonnay or a moscato. merlot as well. if it's wine, i'll drink it.
    pinot grigio with melon liqueor and fruit in it is wonderful too.
    and you said yellow tail was gross but i actually love it lol so i can't help you out really.
    find a wine tasting that way you can get a better idea of what you like.
    do you prefer a sweet wine, dry, red, white, blush?
    i also love white zif.
    mmm wine
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love the boxed wines from Target. The sangria is my favorite and they used to have a white sangria that ROCKED (with some frozen berries) but I haven't seen it at my store for a while... IDK if they discontinued it or what???
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ruffino Chianti
  • Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Kendall Jackson and Robert Mondavi are my favorties for reds
    Robert Mondavi has a really nice Blush mmm blush
    Robert Mondavi has good whites too
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    ChocolateRouge.jpg

This stuff is delicious!! My sister bought it for my birthday last month and it's amazing. It's quite sweet, more of a dessert wine, but it's so, so yummy.
    yum! love that stuff.
    i can't drink a whole bottle of it like i can other wines.
    ...maybe that's a good thing
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Find out if your local liquor store or wine store does wine tastings. They generally have both reds and whites and the prices vary. The tastings I go to have prices that start in the teens and go to about $40. It's really just what you like.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've been working my way through the collection of red wines at Costco that are under $10 so that I can bring them back across the border into Canada easily. I've found a few WA state wines that are quite nice and in that $8-$10 price range.

I used to drink a lot of inexpensive Malbecs as they fit the budget with our heavy taxes on wines at home.