Need unbiased recommendations for a great workout DVD series

Options
2»

Replies

• joelann10
    joelann10 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am currently using Billy Blanks TaeBo Ultimate Workout... It's awesome!!!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    P90X is probably the most complete program. There are better programs for each part of P90X, but P90X is probably the best overall blend.

Though if you're good at using the internet, you can just get all of them and mix and match the parts you like.
  • Kori0714
    Kori0714 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like The Firm workouts. I have an older set with five different workouts. All the DVDS workout your whole body. When I was getting married i lost 30lbs using them. I just ordered their newer collection. It is 13 DVDS with a meal and work out plan. I would compare it to P90X only for girls. The only thing i would recommend is turning the volume down so you can hear them but also turning on the radio to keep you motivated. The music is kind boring on the dvd.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I really like P90X and ordered the resistance bands from Amazon.com to do the strength DVDs with. The cardio and yoga DVDs are challenging so I never found myself getting bored. There is a lot of jumping in the Plyometrics workout so you may want to stay away from that but the other cardio workouts would be fine. You can also scale them to your ability.

I hear a lot about Turbo Fire, too. I have never done it but I have a few friends on here that swear by it.

I agree with the suggestion of checking out YouTube for free videos. You can test the waters before you spend the $$. Good luck!
  • Squirkie
    Squirkie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 40's as well. I enjoy Shaun T's Hip Hop Abs. The workout flies, is not hard on the knees and hasn't bored me yet. There are about 2-3 DVD's with the workout set so you can switch it up, do more than one a day, etc. I believe he also has other workouts that can lead you up to Insanity if that is the route you want to go, but for now, Hip Hop Abs is great.

I also used to do alot of Tae Bo. Haven't seen the latest ones though.
  • difyance
    difyance Posts: 18
    Options
    I actually managed to lose quite a bit of weight with Carmen Electra's Fit to Strip DVDs. I got the box set off amazon and it was a great mix of different types of dance. Going through the learning parts helps too because repeating it over and over could be a workout all in itself. I spent a lot of time with the hip hop DVD and the fitness workouts, never even put the costume/chair dance one in the player. Also, once you learn the dances you can perform them any time that there's music playing. They are quick and fun, no one has to see you do it! (And don't be dissuaded by the title, they aren't teaching you stripper moves.. until the last DVD).

I am currently working out with Zumba for XBox Kinect. Just got my second Zumba game yesterday. They are fun because the game comes with so many songs/dances, and you can mix them up to create your own workout. There are different intensity levels to choose from, three different length classes that use preselected songs (which I like because I can do the same class several times and get better each time), and they aren't hard on the joints almost at all.

I got Your Shape Fitness Evolved, but any time I try to work out to that one my boyfriend will step in and try to show me up. :) It's distracting and I feel like I have yet to get the full benefit from a work out with that game, but facing off with him is fun, so it has potential.
  • marianneread
    marianneread Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Does your local library have DVDs? It's a great way to try new workouts and see if you like them before purchasing.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    is a gym an option? it's going to work a helluva lot better than dvds (the dvds can be fun but they are NOT the way the people in they got in shape) and I don't get bored in the gym.

Exactly this.

This!
  • LuHox
    LuHox Posts: 136
    Options
    I'm personally cheap so I don't buy any of the expensive several-disc sets.
    I like Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, although I dislike 30 Day Shred. I also like Yoga Meltdown. It's great! With her DVD's I find if you're not intermediate to advanced it's best to tune out some of the stuff she says. In the beginning if you have to pause the DVD and get a drink of water and rest a bit that's totally okay. And who cares if she has 400-500 pound people who can do a certain move, if you feel at risk for injury when you're doing it, then don't. Modify it or run in place. And I always do a little extra cool down of my own because her DVD's don't seem to have much of that.

Zumba is a great recommendation. I don't have a zumba dvd, but I use the XBox Kinnect games which are awesome & fun. If you happen to have a Kinnect anyway, there are a lot of cool fitness games that are a good place to start. but if not, zumba dvds i'm sure would be great.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Does your local library have DVDs? It's a great way to try new workouts and see if you like them before purchasing.

Another option .... Netflix by MAIL offers hundreds of workout DVDs. It's worth a few months membership just to try out a whole bunch .....test driving workouts before you buy them
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Can you really ask for "unbiased recommendations?"
    Anyway, my biased recommendation would be DDP Yoga. It's done wonders for me, so I know that it works. It's also approachable from pretty much any beginning fitness level.
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Do you think p90 is too hard on shoulders/knees?

I don't have knee/shoulder problems, but my boyfriend has a leg issue and he did it just fine. I didn't complete the program as summer started and I got lazy. I still think its a nice ease into it kind of program.

This time around though I know better and switch up my workouts, long programs isnt for me. I'm still progressing with youtube videos and one dvd session every now and again when I feel like it.

So, just my two cents if you into structure then by all means go for a 30-90 day program.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I second Cathe Fredrichs low impact series or xtrain series, you need weights for the xtrain series. It's hard to get bored when she has so many different options on each dvd. She has what are called premixes and that gives you different versions of the actual workout.
  • smalls9686
    smalls9686 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love Hip Hop Abs with Shaun T. he is SOOO funny and the workout flies by. he has other dvd workouts as well.

I agree 100% I loved the series and Rock and Body is Good to even more of a total body work out...and if the idea of "Hip Hop" scares you it may be better for you. =-)
  • EricPogamat
    EricPogamat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of the top 10 workout dvds in 2013. Not my list but I liked it so I thought I would pass it along. Also, if your knees hurt while working out, trying Pogamat. It twice as thick as a standard yoga mat.