Beautiful and unique snowflake...

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I am fat, but I love myself. I recognize that I should lose weight if I want to improve my health, longevity,confidence, quality of life, and general physical appearance. It does not define who I am.

bravo whierd, theres no reason not love yourself. No one is attacking that :)

everyone should love who they are and at the same time try to better themselves every day.

Post to me is just implication of the wrong mindset when its posted on a scale at the gym

I do get where you are coming from, I really do. But I think you are forgetting that a lot of people have negative body images and the number on the scale can cause a lot of self-loathing. That is the type of person that the sign is geared towards. It is a reminder that your self-worth isn't tied to the number on the scale and that you are more than your weight.

I think your problem is mainly that it was on the gym scale, right? Well, if a person is at the gym, they are already winning by doing something about their health. But a guy or girl who has been going to the gym regularly and seeing little to no profress on the scale may be thinking horrible thoughts about themselves and be on the cusp of giving up. Then they see that sign and may realize that weight and physical appearance aren't the most important things about themselves and find the strength to continue through it.

Wheird i get that I really do. But what does telling someone they are perfect in the context of seeing bad numbers on the scale imply. It implies to me that its okay to fail. that its okay to just be. And okay it is okay to be yourself.. but not in the context of giving up on being healthier if you are already living a unhealthy lifestyle.

I really dont wanna seem non sympathetic to peoples plight. I know people are miserable, we all are....but I think it sends the wrong message no matter who reads it. I dont think in any ways it encourages a positive reaction in teh context of health alone.

But... um, I think it is okay to fail. Failure is human. I think - if we're looking at this from the angle of failure, it's actually even MORE motivating on a gym scale.

If you have a bad weigh-in, and you're like, "zOMG, I have been spot-on with my fitness and diet for six weeks.. I expected to see a loss! I haven't seen jack! This is bull. I wanna give up." ..... well, saying, "you know what? This is just an number, my friend." can help some people re-work their mindset. I mean, we all know there are about a half dozen other factors to consider in reaching one's fitness goals - and the scale is usually the least 'telling' -- how many people on your FL threw out their scale months ago? How many times do you tell a friend, "man, you need to measure - how do you clothes fit?" What if the bottom of this message included a P.S. that said, "why don't you go do your measurements, wait a day and make sure you're hydrated, and then check this scale again?" Would that have sent you up in arms?

Also, very good debate. I'm all for discussing varying viewpoints and it's so rare that a thread actually runs respectfully for an entire Friday morning.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Im kinda done with this thread, but ill say this.

I dont care taht you want to say a scale just measures how much gravity affects you, im okay with you saying that you need to tell yourself that you are a good person in order to feel better about yourself . okay thats fine.

There is an implication when you put those two seperate thoughts together. to say I am overweight but thats okay because it doesnt say anything about me as a person when you are stepping on a scale to see your weight. Opps i gained 70lbs but thats okay just that silly gravity! Im still happy on the insides who cares about my failing circulatory system.
    Ggy
    I am not implying anything about overweight people. Its fine to be over weight. I used to weight a lot more than i do. Its the mentality that i can be unhealthy as long as im happy that bothers me. And maybe you dont get that from this post. But to me it screams it. I would not have posted this picture if On a billboard driving down the road it said. You are beautiful strong and amazing no matter what anything or anyone says

I think what you may be missing here, is that the whole "gravity" thing is sort of ... I dunno... I guess poking fun.. making light... A reminder that the scale isn't the end-all be-all of who you are in a way that makes you go, 'hmm.. interesting.'

As a woman, it is VERY difficult to find that balance between maintaining a decent level of confidence and trying to be better without letting societal standards (that are some times unhealthy - modeling, for example), completely take over our thoughts. Fashion magazines, television, other women all tell 'us' that we have to be a certain weight, BMI, or jean size to be considered good and deserving of respect. The more we work to separate those numbers and individual identifiers of our whole being, the better we get at taking care of ourselves mentally AND physically.

Look, OP, I know what you're trying to say... I realize that telling people they don't have to get fit because they're okay on the inside isn't helping ... but maybe you haven't experienced the struggles and stigmas surrounding the numbers on a scale or pair of jeans, you know? I'm all for saying empowering and mindful things to each other any chance I can get.

How YOU doin' sexy?

Sup? *head nod*
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    2zj995g.jpg
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The inability to view images at work has left me feeling a little lost and confuzzled.

Oh my god, you just made my day. Confuzzled is one of my FAVORITE words!!! (Is it weird I have favorite words)...

In any case, you are now STUPENDOUS is my book :flowerforyou:
    ^ another one of my favorites :)
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    I am fat, but I love myself. I recognize that I should lose weight if I want to improve my health, longevity,confidence, quality of life, and general physical appearance. It does not define who I am.

bravo whierd, theres no reason not love yourself. No one is attacking that :)

everyone should love who they are and at the same time try to better themselves every day.

Post to me is just implication of the wrong mindset when its posted on a scale at the gym

I do get where you are coming from, I really do. But I think you are forgetting that a lot of people have negative body images and the number on the scale can cause a lot of self-loathing. That is the type of person that the sign is geared towards. It is a reminder that your self-worth isn't tied to the number on the scale and that you are more than your weight.

I think your problem is mainly that it was on the gym scale, right? Well, if a person is at the gym, they are already winning by doing something about their health. But a guy or girl who has been going to the gym regularly and seeing little to no profress on the scale may be thinking horrible thoughts about themselves and be on the cusp of giving up. Then they see that sign and may realize that weight and physical appearance aren't the most important things about themselves and find the strength to continue through it.

Wheird i get that I really do. But what does telling someone they are perfect in the context of seeing bad numbers on the scale imply. It implies to me that its okay to fail. that its okay to just be. And okay it is okay to be yourself.. but not in the context of giving up on being healthier if you are already living a unhealthy lifestyle.

I really dont wanna seem non sympathetic to peoples plight. I know people are miserable, we all are....but I think it sends the wrong message no matter who reads it. I dont think in any ways it encourages a positive reaction in teh context of health alone.

But... um, I think it is okay to fail. Failure is human. I think - if we're looking at this from the angle of failure, it's actually even MORE motivating on a gym scale.

If you have a bad weigh-in, and you're like, "zOMG, I have been spot-on with my fitness and diet for six weeks.. I expected to see a loss! I haven't seen jack! This is bull. I wanna give up." ..... well, saying, "you know what? This is just an number, my friend." can help some people re-work their mindset. I mean, we all know there are about a half dozen other factors to consider in reaching one's fitness goals - and the scale is usually the least 'telling' -- how many people on your FL threw out their scale months ago? How many times do you tell a friend, "man, you need to measure - how do you clothes fit?" What if the bottom of this message included a P.S. that said, "why don't you go do your measurements, wait a day and make sure you're hydrated, and then check this scale again?" Would that have sent you up in arms?

Also, very good debate. I'm all for discussing varying viewpoints and it's so rare that a thread actually runs respectfully for an entire Friday morning.

I wish the poster had said that to be honest, I would have shared it as a great motivation tool! because it is okay to fail your right! But instead of saying its okay to fail just be yourself, a message like you said or a "dont worry youll get them tomorrow message" would ahve been spot on.

and I whole heartedly agree if I had my way this message wouldent exist because scales wouldent exist. They are poor indicators of body composition only one notch above BMI measurments.

also I agree it normally turns into fights until it gets locked. this is refreshing
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mdyp4rtcsE1ribnwko1_500.gif

He can call me Flower...if he wants to.
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mdyp4rtcsE1ribnwko1_500.gif

He can call me Flower...if he wants to.
    Im twitterpated
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    When I saw 150 lbs on the scale, I freaked out. No one hugged me and told me I was a wonderful beautiful person; there were just cold numbers starting at me. And that freak out moment was actually a great thing because it got me exercising regularly and eating less. And here I am 14 pounds down and more in shape than I've ever been!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    But instead of saying its okay to fail just be yourself, a message like you said or a "dont worry youll get them tomorrow message" would have been spot on.

That's a great idea for a motivational message!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Im kinda done with this thread, but ill say this.
    Good one!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You know what... nevermind... I don't even want to...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    When I saw 150 lbs on the scale, I freaked out. No one hugged me and told me I was a wonderful beautiful person; there were just cold numbers starting at me. And that freak out moment was actually a great thing because it got me exercising regularly and eating less. And here I am 14 pounds down and more in shape than I've ever been!

You're a wonderful, beautiful person.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like gravity. It makes it easier to find my stuff.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Now, that's just being lazy.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I would LOVE to be a professional lazer. I can laze like nobody's business.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

I would LOVE to be a professional lazer. I can laze like nobody's business.

Me too. Leave me alone and give me some good reading and I'm not moving. I'd rather my mind move than my body.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Ok, so let's get this straight. This is in a gym. It "encourages" people to stay fat. What the what? From a business standpoint- that would be the dumbest thing ever. From a human standpoint- the majority of people will see this and think "hey, thanks! I feel better about myself" not "oh hey yeah I can stay fat forever!" That may be the dumbest assumption I've ever heard. Chances are, people in the gym are focusing on losing weight (or gaining weight). The scale is what defines that success (the weight part). Someone weighs themselves, sees a number they don't like, and they get bummed out. This sign is to decrease that. Not to tell people "Oh, hey, this number doesn't matter so cancel your membership and sit on the couch."

Also, it's not just fat people that obsess over their weight.
  • Svolt
    Svolt Posts: 284 Member
    Options

tumblr_mj219i9K191rg61bmo1_500.gif
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    What's your problem here? That someone decided to say something that is true? A person's weight doesn't define their character, beauty, or worth. Blah blah blah we all need to be healthy, whatever.. sure... but science says the scale is a measure of your body in relation to gravity. That's facts, bro.
    youre right its facts. But its the implication

Sure let me walk up to a carton of cigs and the surgeons general warning on it post a note. And say, " this just tells you about lung cancer, it doesnt say anything about your peace of mind, your stress levels, or how cool you look."

You are a god among rational thinkers everywhere. Thank you.

Humanity +1
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    snowflake.jpg

Uff da...got the image...how to resize I'll have to learn another day....