Dr. Oz - 75 grams of protein?

Options

Replies

• xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Nothing Dr. Oz says is credible.

**bubbleburst**

Agreed. He let a podiatrist tell the world to spray their flip flops with HAIRSPRAY in the summer to keep them from slipping. Hahaha.
    BUT.. to get more protein just try the powder's =) I used to make a coffee drink and mix it in there. It was Yummy <3
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Agree that some of what Dr. Oz is now recommending is starting to remind me more of an infomercial, than actual medical advice. It seems it shouldn't be a set amount of protein, but a percentage based on your calorie intake & current weight. I have mine custom set at 25%, based on the latest nutritional recommendations. If you get too much protein, although I think the opposite is more of a problem, then it can leech the calcium from your body (if you don't get enough calcium) & could cause osteoporosis, especially in women.
    I would be very interested to know where this information has come from ? If you could point me in the correct direction I would be most grateful
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i eat 180 grams of protein over 5 meals. His 75 grams recommendation is reasonable, depending on your weight and your goals, of course. If you're trying to build muscle or engaged in strenuous physical activities it's most likely too low.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    On what basis did he recommend 75g of protein? A blanket approach for everyone?

And what on Earth is a lean protein?

lean protein: meats with lower fat content ie: chicken, fish, lean cuts of beef.
    The protein is still the same O.o
    The fat content is obviously what is meant by lean.
    4oz of chicken breast and 4oz of hamburger meat might have equal protein
    But one is LEAN with less fat and less calories.
    Come on now bro!
    Heh, excuse my intentional ignorance. I drew attention to it intentionally because, from what I've seen already, there's a lot of myths and broscience going to crop up in this thread and wanted to head off there being a seperate kind of protein which is lean :D
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    75 grams of protein PER meal? Now we're talking.

Bison steak, stat!

Eff that. Bring on the ribeye.

Gaawwwd I would take either right now. I'm hangry. But I do prefer the flavor of bison over beef.
  • jennknut
    jennknut Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The link to what he was referring to, although after looking at the literature, it was not how he presented it...he matter of fact said to get "75 grams of protein over 3 meals...25 a meal". I am not a fan...just happened to be waiting for our local news to start.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/protein-fact-sheet
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    lean protein fish, chicken as opposed to fatty beef, ribeyes, regular hamburger .
  • hippie_spirit
    hippie_spirit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Nothing Dr. Oz says is credible.

**bubbleburst**

^^^ THIS
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    my dr reccomended 10 per lb of body weight much more than dr oz who knows. I find protein helps saitiate me so I eat about 100-125 a day
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I aim for 115 grams of protein (1 gram per pound of LBM) but some days I get a lot higher. Yesterday I was at 130grams. I try to eat greek yogurt, cheese, chicken, protein bars, protein powder almost daily. Protein powder is my go to.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 100g a day. MFP protein goals are set really low.

But...I just can't bring myself to agree with anything Dr. Oz says, so....75 GRAMS IS TOO LOW RAWR.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I strive for at least 100 grams per day, but this week I've been averaging 112 grams per day. Protein not only helps fill you, but it curbs your cravings as well. Took my trainer months to drill this into my head.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Can you eat bulky protein instead?
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have 25% of my calories as protein which for my daily 1530 cals gives me over 90g.

There is some good evidence that higher protein helps with satiety and may help with maintenance of weight loss. There was a large study called Diogenes which looked at weight loss and maintenance on different diets, mainly focussing on protein and GI. The higher protein 25% and lower GI was the most successful.

Here's a good summary article in Science Daily. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101124171536.htm
  • DekkaTwoOneWizzy
    Options
    Pfffffffffffffft...so basically get skinny fat by creating a protein deficit...wow...."lean protein"(low fat) preferably unprocessed(chicken breast vs whey protein isolate). The TEF for the chickbreast is 30% so your losing 15 grams out of every 50gr as heat! Go ahead of skinny fat and undermuscled is whats up....horrible advice.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I aim for 120-140g daily. My lean mass is hovering just shy of 120 lbs.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The protein goals on MFP should be considered minimums (and even at that, the default setting is too low).
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You should aim for 1g of protein per pound of body weight. If you're obese then you can use your BMI. There is no way you can have a blanket statement of 75g for everyone.
  • lilywheat
    lilywheat Posts: 1
    Options
    I do. I get about 125g a day. Protein is more thermogenic. Your metabolism is going to burn harder from it.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My trainer had me set my goals to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein and that brought the protein goal up. If that helps anybody who is complaining about the protein goals on here being too low. I will try to figure out how I did that and post the directions.

Edit: Go to goals, click change goals, then mark the circle for custom and click continue. On the next page there will be drop down boxes for you to go through and change the carbs and stuff. When I chose 40% carbs, the fat and protein automatically changed to 30% and I saved it.