What is your personal definition of 'Fat'?

Options
13»

Replies

• soundasleepx
    Options
    It depends solely on the person. I'm 28% fat. Yet I look like I'm between 30 and 35% fat, when comparing to those pictures:

null.jpg

I think that's mainly because I have small breasts, and carry most of my weight round my tummy/waist.
    However by MY standards, I do consider myself fat.
    But I suppose it helps me being honest about the fact that I do need to lose weight
  • HunterKiller_wechange2
    HunterKiller_wechange2 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    one of those people you see on those programs where they have to take a wall out to get them out the house.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere between 30-33% right now, and am definitely still carrying too much body fat for my liking. I'm 5'6", and currently weigh 172 lbs. So yeah, I'm fat, and I fall under the clinical definition of "overweight".

I think at this body fat %, it could really go either way, depending how someone carries it and how the body fat is distributed. Some people have a rather even distribution of BF, or even a really aesthetically pleasing distribution, while others will be stuck with an unfortunate roll around their midsection or something.

I think the 30% model in the photo looks great, but I don't wear the fat as well as she does. :wink:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Personal definitions of fat include "a macro" and "a necessary component of the human body that has many functions." Really! I definitely used to think in terms of fat or not, but now, at least for other people, I tend to think in terms of overweight, obese, etc. Since joining MFP and getting more interested in strength training (I've always had some interest) I'm becoming more likely to think about myself in terms of lean body mass vs fat. If there is someone who looks to be in exceptionally good shape, I'll probably think about their LBM/body fat too, which is a little weird, but only in admiration. (That sounds like I spend a lot of time thinking about other people. I don't, just quick thoughts.)
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    wait so 30% is chubby but you think 25% is fat......

BMI is weight. Body fat % is composition.
  • bbl2013t
    bbl2013t Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    all of them are skinny except for the last one