Pets get in the way

Options
Has anyone else got a problem with their pet getting in the way when exercising at home? We have a 7yr old stupid cat that loves getting in the way, when we are doing kettle bells he sits between my hubby's legs, if I lay on the floor doing Pilates he rubs past me and sits right in the way and last night while stepping he came and sat in front of the step, ggggrrrrrrhhhhh

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Put him in another room and shut the door.
    Problem solved.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Put them in a different room, and shut the door. Leave their favourite toy in there. Do it around their mealtime if you can, food distracts.

Sorry that's probably not that much help, I used to have cats and they always got in the way too. Thankfully, after pushing them away a couple of times they got the message and sulked off elsewhere though.
  • nara2
    nara2 Posts: 2
    Options
    Oh situps/pushups are right out in our apartment. The minute we hit the floor we're on their turf and they want to help. although, leg lifts + cat = weight resistance.... =P
  • Underworld_Dandy
    Underworld_Dandy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My dog (Akita/Shepherd cross) insists I cant do steps unless I'm holding her rope and pulling her up with me.

Extra workout...bonus. :)
  • hobiesmom
    hobiesmom Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a slightly different pet situation. My cat has seen me exercise so rarely, that he actually gets scared when I start. His ears go flat and he look at me with great alarm. Hopefully, both he and I will get used to me moving in a healthy way.
  • Giovanna_Isabella_Santarelli
    Options
    Shame... they only get in the way because they also "want to play" :smile:
    My little maltese loves jumping on top of me while i'm on the mat... it is distracting but i spend a minute or two laughing, then chase him around for another minute or two, he then gets tired, sits on the couch & watches me workout.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I'd love a cat to get in the way! We left our beloved cat with my mother-in-law when we emigrated and we miss her! :sad:
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My cat does this!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    My cats are quite uninterested in me- until I exercise or sit in my recliner.

I try to spend at least an hour or two in the recliner most days, so we get quality cuddle time. Then when I exercise, I don't feel as guilty about scooping them out from between my legs and plopping them unceremoniously on the desk or whatever. It becomes a game, but they are quickly distracted by the view of bunnies/birds/foxes/deer in our back yard. :-)
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    With three inside dogs, if you exercise on the floor, you can expect a french doggie kiss..Yuck!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    My dog always hung right around me quite interested until she got a weight in the nose a couple of times.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    my two dogs crawl all over me when I start yoga on the mat
    10 min of ear rubs and belly scritches ( for each) and then they lay off to the side for a few min and come back for more.
    If I am getting ready to go running they are dragging the leashes around trying to give them to me :) love my furbabies
  • NJD2885
    NJD2885 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My cats are always getting in the way and if they're not then my daughter is usually is ( she loves crawling under me when i do pushups) lol
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    My cats do, but I don't mind. Otherwise, I would put them up while I exercise. :)
  • TLHarwick
    TLHarwick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    LOL!
    Yep!
    We have two 11 month old Great Danes - They LOVE to lean into me while I am weight training (Les Mills/Chalean) and whenever I get on the floor they maul me... oh and they also try to jump on the treadmill with me!

I typically crate them when I am ready to exercise! Love them so it is hard to be mad, but quite frustrating!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    My dog exercises with me.

This thread just gave me yet another reason to dislike cats.

:angry:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yep mine do ALL the time. I actually have to lock them in another room or I spend all the time yelling at them to get out of the way. The MOMENT I start working out they either want to go outside or they want to wrestle right in front of me.

Pain in the *kitten* they are.

Know how hard it is to do walk at home or Zumba with 2 smaller dogs playing right in the ONLY spot you can workout in?:mad: :explode:
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    the mutts in my profile pic are ~55-60# each. The one couldn't care less. The other thinks that any type of ab work is the best thing in the world, and proceeds to bounce on our tummies any time the path is clear, licking and poking us with his nose. At worst I ignore it (he still enjoys himself), but just as often we turn it into a game - the faster I do crunches the faster the mutt has to work to lick my face.

Actually, i was wrong. The other just doesn't care about traditional ab work and exercising, but the second we start doing yoga (esp. downward dog) she goes nuts (her sedate version of it, she's older). We just play along until she tires out.

They're not around forever, let them distract you with their affection and interest. Makes life richer for everybody.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    One of my cats would always get in the way when I was trying to do zumba on the wii. She would just stand in my way and watch the tv. Eventually though, some sort of quick motion move would come up and she would gallop off (she's young and still very crazy playful. Sounds like horses running through our house). I haven't done any exercise in the home in a while, been going to the gym.
  • BackToFree
    BackToFree Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My dog used to walk with me every day, come rain, hail or shine. She's not allowed to walk any more than 1km at a time now, no up/down hill and she's not allowed out during cold weather. When we got her diagnosis I stopped walking for months. I still have trouble going out without her. It breaks my heart knowing that she wants to come, but can't :brokenheart: That got in the way of my plans big time!

We do have a cake that just loves to climb in under my back every time I do a crunch. Or she sits at my feet and looks at me patronisingly while I work out.