Why has cheese such a bad name?

Options

Replies

• melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options
    It's bad for me because it's 1) Calorie Dense, 2) Addictive, 3) Triggering and 4) Gateway to junk junk. --

The primal "me" who is searching for the calorie dense foods is awakened and takes over eating everything in sight. :devil:

Same with all cow products for me! LOL

Oh yeah, AND it retains water on me.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My issue was I didn't measure it. The first time I cut my normal amount and is was like 4oz! 440 calories! I had no idea! I personally now don't eat much because I just feel bloated after eating it,
  • CeriGrindrod
    CeriGrindrod Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Whenever people say that cheese isn't worth the calories, all I can think is "Wait what? Have you ever even HAD cheese?!"

have they ever had melted cheese on wholemeal toast?? in a chicken wrap? OMG SO GOOOOOOOOOD.

Cheese is excellent with almost everything
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's because it's calorie dense. But if you keep within your cal allowance it won't hurt you, promise.
  • brainzap
    brainzap Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It has a bad name because of ****ty processed cheese
    If you have a little parmesan or other high quality cheese then it's fine
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    What a friend we have in cheeses,
    Gorgonzola, blue, and brie,
    What a privilege to serve them
    Sliced with fruit, for you and me.
    Oh Canadian Black Diamond!
    Who could ever ask for more?
    Smoky, earthy, full of flavor,
    Aged since 1994.

Preach on, hallelujah!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I think it has a bad rap because it's easy to eat a lot of calories in a small amount of food. If you don't weigh the cheese, it's surprising how much you eat.

Weigh the cheese, log it, enjoy. It's all good.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If I was stranded on a desert island and had to choose one food to eat for the rest of my life, it'd be cheese, hands down. So, I try for moderation but I don't even care if it's unhealthy. A life without cheese isn't life.

Words to live by.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I loooove cheese!

Funny thing about Parmesan... Anyone else ever notice it smells like vomit? I still like it, love it actually, but the distinctive flavor of Parmesan comes from butyric acid, which is also the distinctive odor of vomit. Also, interestingly, it's what dogs smell from our pores when they "smell fear".

Yes, I've noticed that smell, but didn't know what was causing it! Actually, a few delicious, flavoursome foods have a smell that verges on unpleasant - fish sauce, sauerkraut, stilton, etc.

Anyway, cheese. It's high-fat, high-calorie and very easy to eat too much of. I'd hate to give it up though, so I eat up to an oz a day (OK, I have sometimes eating more than an oz) of the high fat ones, plus some low-fat fromage frais/quark. If I'm buying high-fat cheese I do tend to go for the highly flavoured ones such as parmesan because I feel that I'm getting more taste for my calories! :laugh:

The smell of opening fish sauce makes me nauseous but my fried rice just wouldn't be the same without it. Thankfully everything else drowns out the smell once it's done cooking.

As far as cheese... I like to buy expensive cheeses and cut small pieces (can't indulge too much because of how much it costs, LOL!) or buy shredded parmesan. You'd be amazed how far .5 oz of parmesan can go taste-wise for 50 calories.
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese on sandwiches for lunch, I eat cheese for snacks, I eat cheese on salads for dinner. I love cheese.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I loooove cheese!

Funny thing about Parmesan... Anyone else ever notice it smells like vomit? I still like it, love it actually, but the distinctive flavor of Parmesan comes from butyric acid, which is also the distinctive odor of vomit. Also, interestingly, it's what dogs smell from our pores when they "smell fear".

Yes, I've noticed that smell, but didn't know what was causing it! Actually, a few delicious, flavoursome foods have a smell that verges on unpleasant - fish sauce, sauerkraut, stilton, etc.

Anyway, cheese. It's high-fat, high-calorie and very easy to eat too much of. I'd hate to give it up though, so I eat up to an oz a day (OK, I have sometimes eating more than an oz) of the high fat ones, plus some low-fat fromage frais/quark. If I'm buying high-fat cheese I do tend to go for the highly flavoured ones such as parmesan because I feel that I'm getting more taste for my calories! :laugh:

The smell of opening fish sauce makes me nauseous but my fried rice just wouldn't be the same without it. Thankfully everything else drowns out the smell once it's done cooking.

As far as cheese... I like to buy expensive cheeses and cut small pieces (can't indulge too much because of how much it costs, LOL!) or buy shredded parmesan. You'd be amazed how far .5 oz of parmesan can go taste-wise for 50 calories.

Fish sauce smells like rancid death but it makes everything so tasty
  • shalysewrightbethea
    shalysewrightbethea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'd die without cheese. On sandwiches its my meat substitute. I love swiss cheese sandwiches with tons of veggies.
  • Mrs_Wellington
    Options
    cheese mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :heart:
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just went out and bought 5 lbs of cheese while grocery shopping. It is one of God's most beautiful creations, next to beer and bacon.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Cheese is wonderful.....however a serving size of cheeseis quite small (think small eraser). So some people find it easier to cut it out rather than feel disappointed with the serving sizes.....more bang for buck mentality

I love cheese and the serving sizes are worth the taste so i eat it
  • fitnessprincess16
    Options
    Its because cheese is made of dairy and everyone knows that dairy is bad for you. It gives zits and breakouts, and also most cheesy stuff are loaded with grease
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Its because cheese is made of dairy and everyone knows that dairy is bad for you. It gives zits and breakouts, and also most cheesy stuff are loaded with grease

I don't get zits from dairy. The calcium in it is actually good for you, especially being female.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Because it stinks when you cut it?

Oh wait, it wasn't a joke ? :P

I love cheese, everything in moderation xoxo
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,348 Member
    Options
    I used to buy a block of cheese from the corner shop and eat the lot before I got to the next corner. I used to get up in the night and 'trim off' the cheese in the fridge, hoping no one would notice. The kids thought my self delusion was hilarious. When my DH went out of the house I would head for the fridge and eat the last block of Parmesan. Addictive? I think so. High in salt? Oh yes. - very bad for my high blood pressure. Bad in moderation? No. I now can eat a moderate amount, 100 calories or so most days instead of dessert. My life would be a lot sadder without it.:drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile: :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    IMO, the only cheese with a band name is Fromunda.