i gained weight from gaining muscles

Options
Hello,

i'm encountering this issue here :sad: ..i weight 154lb and my ideal weight is 127lb (i'm a female 24 years old)..i've been eating healthy and watching my calorie intake by not consuming more than 1200 cal per day
i also been exercising daily for an hour ..after two weeks i've noticed my weight hasn't changed and i gained muscles in my arms, thighs and calfs ..i wanna tone up but i wanna lose weight first :(
should i diet first then tone it up? since exercising will only replace my fat with muscles..i would really appreciate ur advice :)

Thanks

Replies

• pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    Weight is just a number. Your goal of being healthy is more important than and number on a scale. You are clearly getting fit if you are gaining muscle.

Michelle
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You're only going to build muscles if you eat at a calorie surplus. If you eat at a deficit, you'll lose weight (mostly fat if you lift heavy). If you started your new program recently, then your weight gain is probably water retention. Keep at it and the weight will eventually come off (again, if you eat at a deficit). Search the forum to calculate your TDEE and what your calorie intake should be. It should be more than 1200 cals if you exercise that much. Or I hope you said 1200 cals + eating back your exercises calories.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You did NOT gain muscle in 2 weeks while eating 1200 calories. This is impossible.

You might be retaining fluid and/or glycogen in your muscles making them appear larger temporarily.
  • ThoseRabbits
    ThoseRabbits Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You did NOT gain muscle in 2 weeks while eating 1200 calories. This is impossible.

You might be retaining fluid and/or glycogen in your muscles making them appear larger temporarily.

hater..
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Beat me to it.

I wish I could gain muscle as easily as a lot of young women on super low calorie diets think they can.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    by only eating 1200 calories and working out. You probably put your body into starvation mode and it caused you to gain fat.

You need to UP your calories in order to gain muscle mass.

Same thing happened to me a few years back. I was barely eating and I went from 120lbs to 146 pounds...

sorry to hear about your situation.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Beat me to it.

I wish I could gain muscle as easily as a lot of young women on super low calorie diets think they can.

^ This. I've worked very hard for every shred of muscle I've been able to gain, and I eat quite a bit to do it.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    by only eating 1200 calories and working out. You probably put your body into starvation mode and it caused you to gain fat.

Same thing happened to me a few years back. I was barely eating and I went from 120lbs to 146 pounds...

Broscience much?
  • jazzi88
    jazzi88 Posts: 8
    Options
    @pmteet
    Thank you Michelle for your kind words :)...you are right it's more important to be healthy (^_^)

@jennifershoo thanks! i'll search it up

@ BusyLady406 thank you for your response :)..i've uploaded a pic of how my leg looks like now as my profile pic..can it possibly be just retained fluid?
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i thought this was going to be another inspirational thread with a sarcastic title.
  • BeachIron
    Options

Beat me to it.

^ This. I've worked very hard for every shred of muscle I've been able to gain, and I eat quite a bit to do it.

All the 1200 calorie women seem to gain muscle really fast. All the guys eating at a surplus, in the 2600 to 3000 and above range, take 6 months to add a couple lbs of muscle. Lol.

It's all the testosterone that gets in the way of muscle growth . . .

If you want to do it right, don't be afraid to eat at calorie maintenance or even a surplus, while strength training, so you do add muscle. Then cut your calories to reduce the fat. It is an excellent way to get the e'hm "toned" look you want. On the other hand if you're really wanting to lose the weight now, then go for a modest calorie deficit and be patient.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

hater..

No she is not a hater. As a former serious weight lifter I can attest to the fact that it took me 8 month of daily lifting and eating the appropriate diet to gain 3.5 kilos ( 7.5 pounds of muscle ).
    There are many factors at play from diet to hormones that actually make it v.e.r.y hard for women to gain muscle.
    So, please stop shouting " hater " . I would very respectfully think that you don't know what you are talking about......:o).
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    who care what you weigh if it's all muscle then you will look great and be in good health!
  • jazzi88
    Options
    i really needed an advice from u guys since u have knowledge about these sort of things..i appreciate the ones who tried to help..really i find ur comments useful as it will help me in understanding what's going on
    i didn't think 1200 calories per day will put my body into starvation mode..perhaps i should increase my calorie intake and do cardio
  • ThoseRabbits
    ThoseRabbits Posts: 65 Member
    Options

hater..

No she is not a hater. As a former serious weight lifter I can attest to the fact that it took me 8 month of daily lifting and eating the appropriate diet to gain 3.5 kilos ( 7.5 pounds of muscle ).
    There are many factors at play from diet to hormones that actually make it v.e.r.y hard for women to gain muscle.
    So, please stop shouting " hater " . I would very respectfully think that you don't know what you are talking about......:o).

u are clearly WAY older then the op, so maybe she can gain muscle faster then u? everyones body iz different. u have no clue what youre talking about =)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

hater..

u are clearly WAY older then the op, so maybe she can gain muscle faster then u? everyones body iz different. u have no clue what youre talking about =)
    Dude, she is still a young woman (i.e. low testosterone) eating at a deficit.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    i really needed an advice from u guys since u have knowledge about these sort of things..i appreciate the ones who tried to help..really i find ur comments useful as it will help me in understanding what's going on
    i didn't think 1200 calories per day will put my body into starvation mode..perhaps i should increase my calorie intake and do cardio

You're not in starvation mode but you may be eating too little to get the results you want. Starvation mode is thrown around on these forums way too much.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Broscience much?

Utter broscience. I lose weight all the time on 1200 calories a day while exercising strenuously three days or more a week. I don't eat back my exercise calories unless I'm really hungry. I have never stalled doing it this way. So I call bull. Perhaps if I had as much muscle as the lady who posted the bro science I would need more calories, perhaps if I wasn't a midget I would.

Scientifically speaking, it takes a lot of starving yourself to put you into starvation mode. Not just a 700 calorie a day total deficit. Which is the deficit I run by doing what I do.

According to the math, my six foot husband who eats 2000 calories a day, and works out is in a much bigger deficit.

People who can't operate a calculator shouldn't spout science they read on the internet, unless they can analyze it and think for themselves.

Everyone is different.

And, yes...I have increased strength while lifting heavy and eating a deficit. I don't think I grew any muscles but I sure as hell got stronger which is totally possible. A lot of people think being able to lift more and longer is growing muscles. I cannot say I argue with them.
  • jazzi88
    Options

You're not in starvation mode but you may be eating too little to get the results you want. Starvation mode is thrown around on these forums way too much.

i see, thanks for your clarification!