Obese and unable to lose weight

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have been replying to peoples questions about my diet, I will take into account your suggestions.

And yes you have made several differ suggestions.

But according to a majority of you, eating to lil can cause no weight loss, ie the cure for starving people.

People made valid points, like don't pay attn. to the scale, take measurements and give it more time. Those are the suggestions I will hold.

But not willing to try eating more (~2000) for a period of time, say, 6-8 weeks?

Yeah I will try that, eat at my bmr or maintain. which is 2400-3500 depending.

Help my hormone levels out.

Awesome. Best of luck...stick to the plan, track consistently, and give everyone an update in a couple of months. (Personally, I am firmly convinced that this is likely to be the biggest factor in recovering from the issues you're having now.)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike-I took a peek at your food diary. It's great that you log everything and are diligent about it too!

Have you tried eating a very "clean" diet? Personally, I'd love to see you start off your day with something more substantial like the old fashioned, cook on the stove type of oatmeal to fuel your day.
    Add in more fruits and veggies-good, whole foods (not juices). Snack on nuts, seeds, and such.

Honestly, I think your body is craving more nutrients and fuel. The supplement and protein drinks are nice but you should have a good balance. And I bet it would be much cheaper to eat a clean diet too!
    Don't give up-you're doing great with logging everything. Most people don't follow through like that and you've got it down!
    Just switch up your food choices and I bet you'll see some results soon!:flowerforyou:
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mikesavvy
    mikesavvy Posts: 108
    Options
    Hi Mike-I took a peek at your food diary. It's great that you log everything and are diligent about it too!

Have you tried eating a very "clean" diet? Personally, I'd love to see you start off your day with something more substantial like the old fashioned, cook on the stove type of oatmeal to fuel your day.
    Add in more fruits and veggies-good, whole foods (not juices). Snack on nuts, seeds, and such.

Honestly, I think your body is craving more nutrients and fuel. The supplement and protein drinks are nice but you should have a good balance. And I bet it would be much cheaper to eat a clean diet too!
    Don't give up-you're doing great with logging everything. Most people don't follow through like that and you've got it down!
    Just switch up your food choices and I bet you'll see some results soon!:flowerforyou:

I will try that, People messaged me suggesting keto, which is 20 net carbs, I don't want to stir up an argument. I will eat more, maybe try low carb.

I hate putting my body through ketosis, but assuming its just the same as what I am doing now.

Its been 2 weeks, I was hoping for at least 1 lb. Progress. But its not there. ill measure it in another way and maybe eat more.

Also for the person who made a reference to age and metabolism, I am 23, 5 10.
  • margieo1983
    margieo1983 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I don't cheat, I hit rock bottom, I have learn to hate food. I was instructed to have a cheat day yesterday, and I ate what I thought I would like and I got sick.

I do not get hungry anymore, I never did, I ate based on cravings and not hunger. Now I eat to sustain.

Dude, for real. You have got to change the way you look at things. You cannot hate food. There's absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying a good meal, a glass of wine, and a pleasant conversation. The key is moderation, slowing down, and enjoying what's in front of you. Don't just feed yourself to get by; get creative, eat different foods, eat slower.

Food is not the enemy.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If you knock your carbs down to 20 grams you can kiss your cardio endurance good bye unless you are really able to maintain a program like the Eating Academy which is super high in fat. The program there works, but I think it is boring as heck. Anyway I nearly destroyed my endurance training with super low carb eating. I was eating 50 carbs a day and got NO WHERE in my training but sick. I upped it now to 100 carbs a day with almost twice the protein to balance along with moderate fat along with it and suddenly I am a super cardio queen...and the weight is falling off steadily.

I sorta feel like you are stuck on "1500 calories". Leangains founder Martin Berkhan says it all the time, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results...Look past the 1500 calories and open you mind to other options...like increasing your calories to feed your body and to produce lean tissue which in the end will burn the fat. THAT works. I know because I have lost 40 lbs with that philosophy

How about trying a 16/8 Intermittent Fasting approach where you don't eat from 9 pm to noon the next day (exercise during the fasted state), then consume 20 % above your TDEE on your strength days and 20% less on your cardio/rest days. You balance your macros at 40:40:40. Men have incredible results on this program. If you just Google it you will see it is ALL OVER the fitness industry right now and since you exercise regularly it might work wonders for you.

I personally think you are doing WAY too much cardio...you should only do light warm up cardio on strength training days otherwise you are depleting your energy for lifting hard. Focus on building muscle, which sounds like you are doing well.

The first month I only lost four lbs until I figure out what I should be doing and now I am making progress every month between 6 to 8 lbs. Give it some time, tweak a few things and be patient.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's only been 2 weeks give it time
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    a pound of muscle weighs close to the same as a pound of fat.

That's like saying a pound of lead and a pound of feathers are about the same. A POUND IS A POUND! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Being humble, accepting constructive criticism, and considering that we might be doing something wrong don't come easily for many people. I would ask you to consider that maybe weight loss doesn't have to be the way you're making it for yourself. You don't have to hate food. You don't have to go hungry and teach your body to get by on less than what it needs. Consider that in the long run it'll be so much better for you to be a well fed, well fueled, strong, healthy man rather than just being a man who weighs less. Weight loss doesn't have to be all or nothing. Try to be reasonable and balanced in your feelings about food and your health. Be smart. Just enter your information correctly as myfitnesspal asks for it and go for a pound a week. You'll feel better and your workouts will be more effective.

Also, I don't care what "credentials" your trainer or nutritionist have. If they're telling you that 1500 calories is enough for you they're dead wrong. It's hard for me to eat as low as 1500 calories and I'm a 38 yr old mostly sedentary woman.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at "unable to lose weight".

How often are you cheating your diet? Are you lieing to yourself on your food logs? Are you snacking on foods between meals that you aren't tracking?

Most of all, how bad do you want it? If you're "unable to lose weight" you aren't trying hard enough or you have a thyroid problem.

Just being honest, these kinds of threads are getting old, fast.

I don't cheat, I hit rock bottom, I have learn to hate food. I was instructed to have a cheat day yesterday, and I ate what I thought I would like and I got sick.

I do not get hungry anymore, I never did, I ate based on cravings and not hunger. Now I eat to sustain.
    What Horrible way to live and what an unhealthy way to relate to food. Listen to those telling you to eat more. Ditch all the silly supplements and eat some real food eat a balanced diet. Learn to like food then as you get healthy ask your gains in weightloss and health will be sustainable.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    1500 calories is surely not enough?????? I must eat over 1800 cals a day

Eat more .....

Lots of fruit, veggies, good fats, fibre, chicken, eggs, turkey etc

And lots of water!!!!!

Good luck
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Netting under 1K per day, expect very bad moods and system collapse.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs in past and gained 10. doing random bad or crash diets

currently at 240, I am 510 240 and male. weight shifts from 233-240

I have a personal trainer, I train 4 times a week strength training, been doing that for 2 weeks. And then I do light cardio to intense cardio 5 times a week 30-60 min

I eat 1500 calories, I know its a huge defect, but unless I have super genes, it would be impossible for my body to function on 1500 calories and not lose any fat.

I weigh everything, I have no more than 100 carbs a day, 200 grams of protein and max 30 grams of fat.

I was told to have a cheat day, so I did, was told it will help re amp my metabolism. But I am 23.

2 weeks no change on the scale.

Don't think in terms of "can't", think of "haven't yet". If you keep up the way you are going, it would be impossible to not lose any weight.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    It's only been 2 weeks give it time
    No kidding. 2 weeks is nothing.

Give it 3 months. 3 months of honest consistent logging. I agree with everyone that said you're not eating enough.
  • snowshoermom
    snowshoermom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough...

check out this link.. i guessed at your age and put 30..

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

For extreme weight loss it saying no less than 1900 calories!!!!!!

if you go lower than that you are putting your body in stravation mode and its holding on to every drip of fat .... we are biogically created like this because that's how humans would survive droughts and famines before the technology of electricity ...

as well please eat some breakfast... doctor's orders.. breakfast kicks starts your body and reves up your metabolism..
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I am a 130 pound, 5'7" female and I eat 1700 calories PLUS exercise calories just to MAINTAIN 130 pounds. You are not eating enough and you are likely to crash and burn netting only 300 cals a day. Why not try at least NETTING your 1500? (Still low cals, but better for your body than starving like you currently are.) Good luck! :flowerforyou:

^ This. I'm 5'7" also, eat 1700ish calories on non-exercise days and 2500ish on days that I lift. I've been averaging a 1.5lb loss per week since I started back in February.

Food is fuel. Please fuel your body properly. Netting 300 sounds like a great way to catabolize muscle tissue, not burn off fat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough...

check out this link.. i guessed at your age and put 30..

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

For extreme weight loss it saying no less than 1900 calories!!!!!!

if you go lower than that you are putting your body in stravation mode and its holding on to every drip of fat .... we are biogically created like this because that's how humans would survive droughts and famines before the technology of electricity ...

as well please eat some breakfast... doctor's orders.. breakfast kicks starts your body and reves up your metabolism..
    If that was the case then people that starve themselves wouldn't lose weight.......starvation mode isn't a switch that turns off fat burning. Personally I think the OP is having a go with us.........
  • SpartanEric
    SpartanEric Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 calories regardless of what I do,

I have done 1200 in exercise and still only ate 1500 calories.

ITs been 2 weeks, people say its muscle gain, water retention and other things. But muscle grows slowly, like .5 per week max.

My objective it to get to 180 In 4 to 6 months, 8% bodyfat, currently at 30% bodyfat.

I will keep training and keep at it, maybe lower my carbs to 20, hoping I still have energy for strength training.

I also thought maybe its cause I don't drink enough water, I rarely drink anything.

If you aren't hydrating yourself, you are retaining a LOT of water. I hate drinking water also, but have to chug at least a couple glasses a day. Maybe try Propel... not the same as pure water but close enough for people like me who hate water to at least get some hydration.
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You said you are currently at 30% body fat and want to get to 8%?! While I admire you wanting to be at 8%, it is highly unlikely unless you are doing some serious lifting and bodybuilding. Also, that is quite a stretch to go from 30% to 8%. Most bodybuilders I know are around 8% at the time of their actual competition. I would suggest having a sit down session with your trainer to re-evalute this.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have been measuring my stomach, around belly button, that has stayed the same.

Muscles looks toner, arms and legs, places were there isn't much fat.

I am just looking for reassurance that there isn't something I am doing wrong.

Calories are low, but people on the biggest loser and stuff, eat 1500 calories and work out 4-5 hours a day.

They still lose weight.

A few things:
    1. The Biggest Loser is total bull****. Do a google search, there's all kinds of stuff out there about the fact that they force contestants to crash diet, take unhealthy risks, stretch out the time between weigh-ins to make the weight loss seem like more. They work out like it's their full time job. They basically do nothing but lose weight for months. It's not realistic, and it's not something to be emulated. Also, I don't know who told you that they're putting people your size on 1500 calorie diets, but that's ridiculous.

2. I weight probably 70lbs or so less than you, work out less than you, am older than you, and am female. All of those things should mean that I need to eat fewer calories than you do. I can't function on 1500 calories a day - I usually need at least 1700 or so. MFP put me about about 1680, and I often go over by a bit. I've lost both pounds and inches that way. I can't imagine that you're eating anywhere close to enough, especially if you're exercising as much as you say. Have you calculated your bmr? I can't imagine you're consuming anywhere near enough calories for your bmr at 240lbs.

3. Drink water. If you're not drinking water, as one of your posts says, you need to. Not only will it help with weight loss, but your body needs it, especially if you're working out and sweating all the time.

4. As others have said - relax a little. It's only been a few weeks. It can take a month or more for your body to adjust to a new routine. Even then you'll hit plateaus and rough spots, and you have to be prepared to be patient and push through. You'll learn what works for your body. Pay attention to the non-weight victories - they'll help keep you motivated. Can you run further or longer? Can you lift more? Do you notice your muscles feeling more solid or showing up more prominently? These things are just as important as inches and pounds, and they'll keep you going when the scale freezes up for weeks at a time (which happens to everybody sooner or later).

Good luck!