If you won the Powerball...

Options
DalekBrittany
DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
I think we all have those scenarios in our head if we won the lottery.

In light of the Powerball today, what is your "if I won" scenario? Would you ever work again? What would you buy? How much would you give away, if any?

If it was a Powerball situation with like, 500 mil, I would definitely still work...there is nothing wrong with more money, plus I'd go nuts never working and just sitting! I would start by buying my parents a lovely house with lots of land and two new, sensible cars of their choice. I would pay off my in-laws' mortgage and the same with the new cars. My sister and brother I'd probably just give some money to, but they're irresponsible so not too much! Then donate some, probably a few million to a charity. Not sure which. Probably one to fight childhood hunger in America.

For myself and my fiance, we'd have a house built in northern Vermont. A couple nice, family-friendly cars. Pay off our loans and go to school full time to finish my Masters, my fiance for his as well. Then get to work. Probably put a lot of money into whatever hospital I'd work at, same with whatever police dept my fiance ends up at.

So, what's your "if I won" fantasy?

Replies

• xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    All anyone would need to know was .... I'm leeeeeaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again :glasses:
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Now that we've won the Powerball, I can finally move on to weightloss the old fashioned way. With a lot of money, and a scalpel. First up, finding a new home for the fat - My Bazooms!
  • Matt24442
    Matt24442 Posts: 324
    Options
    I would build a castle and everyone would have to call me king
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    All anyone would need to know was .... I'm leeeeeaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again :glasses:
    I'd buy the jet plane.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I would build a castle and everyone would have to call me king

This made me laugh so hard.
  • derby_sk8ts
    derby_sk8ts Posts: 10
    Options
    [img]http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt290/aleixandrius/new background/newparadise.gif[/img]

I'd be a million, billion, trillion miles away!
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'd buy the jet plane.

IDEA Fitness member

Fly away with me?
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I'd buy the jet plane.

IDEA Fitness member

I'd make sure Mike could bring back signatures again so poor Niner can stop copy/pasting this every time! :sad: :wink:
  • ArtsyLaurie
    ArtsyLaurie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married the end of August, so winning Powerball means I could make David Tutera jealous with my amazing wedding!

And buy a house and other stuff we need & help out family. ^_^
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    We used to spend hours in the car talking about what we'd do if we won the lottery (about 30 minutes into the trip to my parents house we'd pass a sign for the current lottery amount).

- Pay off all debt
    - New cars
    - College for DD
    - Tithe to our church and organizations
    - Vacation homes
    - Scholarships

We'd still probably do some sort of work, but it might be more mission or volunteer work than regular nursing work.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    First I would faint then while passed out I would wet my pants. Then when I came to I would cry. After that I would probably spend a good solid month buying all kinds of ridiculous nonsense that I didn't need. Then I would get a little more serious. I don't think I would work. Well maybe during the school months because my kids need structure while in school. During the summer months we would NEVER be home. I would take my kids to see everything. We would be all over the world.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't work again. For sure. I would buy a house in Southern California and use that as my base of travel. I would spend weeks in several countries until I decided what suited me the best.

I would buy a Bugatti just to rub it in all of the rappers faces!
    And did I mention the hookers and blow!
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    First I would faint then while passed out I would wet my pants. Then when I came to I would cry. After that I would probably spend a good solid month buying all kinds of ridiculous nonsense that I didn't need. Then I would get a little more serious. I don't think I would work. Well maybe during the school months because my kids need structure while in school. During the summer months we would NEVER be home. I would take my kids to see everything. We would be all over the world.

This is the second best answer! I gotta admit my scenario comes after all the ridiculous spending part. I'm talking ****in' gatling guns, a ****in' cannon, a tank, SO MANY CLOTHES AND SHOES, super cool technology, Matt Smith (let's be honest, everyone has a price), like, 700 horses...so many things.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I wouldn't work again. For sure. I would buy a house in Southern California and use that as my base of travel. I would spend weeks in several countries until I decided what suited me the best.

I would buy a Bugatti just to rub it in all of the rappers faces!
    And did I mention the hookers and blow!

I would buy a Bugatti and hire out The Stig to drive me around in it!

and hookers and blow goes without saying.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    If I won.... (and survived the hysteria of winning)

I would pay off every single cent of debt that my husband and I have or ever had
    I would stick at least half into an interest bearing savings account
    I would invest about 25 million
    I would donate everything we have now (furniture, cars, etc) to someone in need
    I would donate a big chunk of money to Bluebonnet horse rescue, St. Jude's, and the Salvation Army (they are not-for profit charities that dont make an obscene amount of money, unlike Goodwill, March of Dimes, United Way, and some other organizations)
    I would give $5 million each to my mom, husbands mom, sister in law, and my closest aunt
    I would give $500,000 to my best friend, my husbands best friend, and maybe a couple other deserving folks
    I would buy a beautiful house on about 10,000 acres. If it didn't have barns, arenas, etc. I would have them built.
    I would buy the Prude Ranch in West Texas (its a historic dude ranch that is run by a moron but is an incredibly beautiful place) and totally renovate it. That place has so much potential.
    We would travel, a lot.
    I would buy very fancy show horses
    My kids would go to the very best schools
    I would buy a bunch of crap I don't need and have a gigantic, outrageously ridiculous party... for a month
    I would get a boob job
    I can't even fathom everything I would do.
    I think I would also pick some random person and give them a million bucks, just because I could. I think it would be cool to change someone's life.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    If I won.... (and survived the hysteria of winning)

I would stick at least half into an interest bearing savings account

I would donate everything we have now (furniture, cars, etc) to someone in need

I would buy a beautiful house on about 10,000 acres. If it didn't have barns, arenas, etc. I would have them built.

We would travel, a lot.

My kids would go to the very best schools
    I would buy a bunch of crap I don't need and have a gigantic, outrageously ridiculous party... for a month
    I would get a boob job

I would do all of those things, too!
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It's almost too difficult to even imagine what i'd do. Firstly, i'd take a lump sum. Even after the taxes, that's still lifetimes worth of money.

I know the very first thing I would do is take care of every debt I owed to family and companies.
    Then i'd buy all the essentials, car, house, and take care of those that have always been there for me.
    My first non essential expense would be getting the tattoos on my arms finished up, I'd still go to my same two artists, and i'd give them their yearly salary as a tip.

I'd be very generous with it to say the least.

But that is only a dream and will always be like that! lol...very fun to imagine though.
  • Darrell916
    Darrell916 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If I won I would payoff all debts and take care of family. Then of course the new car house with a huge pool spa and sauna. I think the different thing that I would do is take a couple hundred thousand and build my own gym with steam room and sauna on my property. Kids college and trust fund. Open a couple businesses, even though it is a ton of money I can't just sit around and do nothing. Plus I am going to do a ton of traveling.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Hookers and blow!

Ok, no, seriously. I would buy a new car and a nice size home with which I will run an animal shelter out of, specializing in small animals (rats, hamsters, mice, etc) and reptiles. And cats. I love cats, so I have to have a BUNCH of cats.

Other than that, just pay off loans, pay Matt Smith and/or Jon Stewart to do dirty things to me and live a simple but happy life.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'd have alot of very pissed off relatives....I don't believe in "funding" other peoples lives, and that would go over like a fart in a phonebooth.