To fat to run?

Options

Replies

• Shiroi
    Shiroi Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Start off slow and work your way up. If you keep up you will slowly build your stamina and will eventually be able to run. Good luck! :3
  • AnyaDee
    AnyaDee Posts: 19
    Options
    When I lost my first batch of weight, I was 265 at 5'7" (healthy weight should be ~163).
    I've always been athletic but not fast or a runner do to my weight.
    I had a trainer and he told me to do:
    half mile warm up
    and stretches
    Before my mile jog
    and end with stretches and half mile cool down.
    {four times a week}

My jog was so slow, a fast walker could pass me.
    But he told me not to stop to walk unless I was in really bad pain.
    My mile was about 18-20 minutes.

I got a lot better at my mile but it took a while.
    When my mile became "easy," we added a few sprints and abs.

I'm doing elliptical work outs now so I can watch TV.
    And I live in Texas so the weather is a bit much for me right now.

Just know your body but try to challenge yourself. :)
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    jump right in... but be warned you wont be able to run for long before you have to stop. Before I had kids I was a runner and was really fit. 2 kids later and three years down the line I went to the park thinking I could just run like always..... noooo

I ran for about a minute and felt like I was gonna cry, die and be sick all at the same time.... but did I give up? No.
    I just ran for as long as I could, then walked, then ran again, then walked for a bit.... and so on... until I could run for a continuous period without needing to stop. It took months of stubbornness, determination and pure rage haha

I'm fit again now and love running. Do it girl... it won't be easy but if you're strong in your mind it will transfer to your body if you keep it going :wink:

Nothing beats the feeling of endurance
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd get a quick physical to ensure you're heart is in good shape. If so, I'd start walking every day for 30 (2 miles each day) days and "change" your diet to only include natural foods. Fresh fruits and veggies, chicken, tuna, etc... Stay away from fast food and processed junk. Quit "any and all" drinks that have sugar, high fructose, or fake sweeteners. You'll lose 4-5 lbs at least just doing the above. If you want to then start adding segments of jogging the 2nd month, do it, but start out slow and maybe a couple of blocks each time and build up as you feel good until you can jog the full 2 miles. May take a month or two. At the end of 3 months, you'll have lost 15-20 lbs if you follow the above. Keep this up and add a 1/2 mile each month. Keep it up. Even when you don't want to, keep it up! Don't quit. Did I say don't quit? Don't quit. At the end of a year, all things above followed, you'll have lost that 50lbs.

Totally your choice. Add me as a friend and I'll periodically check your food diary and offer encouragement and advise.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Unless someone one has real diagnosed joint problems etc. and not just giving it as an excuse - everyone is capable of running even those who are overweight. Our bodies adapt to our changes physically albeit up to the extreme levels, though you would want to ease your way into the exercise!
  • MelodyJoy80
    Options
    Nope, you are not too fat to run! Unless you have some joint or heart issues, you will be just fine! :-) I am happy to hear that you are starting a Couch to 5K program - they are awesome! I recently had surgery so I had to stop my progress. I am going to restart my 5K training on Monday. I will be running in a 5K event in late July and I'm currently about 40 pounds overweight. For me, running (and cardio, in general) allows me to lose the extra weight. Good luck in your training! Take it easy at first and you'll be running 5K in no time! :-)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm 100 pounds over weight and I run. Just build up fast walking to running over a few weeks. You'll be surprised at how quick you'll be running
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    Wow.you guys are great! Off to buy running shoes for my two boys (6 and 7) today. Then we'll all be enjoying the running experience.
    Should imagine we'll make an odd site; me with baby in a jogging stroller, the two lads speeding off and my 16y.o son lapping us.
    All good fun and great to have something the family can do together! :smile:
  • MissVamp13
    MissVamp13 Posts: 53
    Options
    Hi :) I am 45lbs overweight and id love to start jogging. Dont laugh but i start off by jogging around my house to get me use to it. I am hoping I have the confidence one day to do it outdoors x
  • vet272
    Options
    I tried running on the spot but it was awful! Bite the bullet! It was first time yesterday and it really wasn't as bad as I'd built it up in my mind. Try the C25K maybe. Best of luck x
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Chance of injury is very high with running, and goes up from there if you are overweight. I would hit the pool if I were you, or get a speed rope.

If you do run, stick to soft surfaces. Or find some steep hills and do HIIT. Or stairs. Anything but jogging for long periods.

I know it can be hard to be patient, and running gives a fantastic sense of accomplishment, but injury will almost certainly make you put off reaching your goals. Bigger people who run, and comment here, are a preselected group. The injured and discouraged will tend not to post, because they have given up.
  • GrendlStig
    GrendlStig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i love run/walking! Google "Jeff Galloway" - he's a former Olympic runner who developed run/walk as a running technique in the 70's to prevent injuries. There are programs all over the place (in the US mostly). Not sure where you live, but if it's near a larger metropolitan area, there may be a program to hook up with. Beginners are always welcome and the eight week program ends with some sort of race 5K, 10K, half marathon or marathon. You choose your goal, but the race fee is usually included with the program. Anyway, I started with them, went through 3-4 programs until I'm at a "running" pace that suits me. The camaraderie is great! And since you're a former athlete, you might enjoy the friendly competition within the group. Check it out anyway - lots of resources on the website and an alternative to couch to 5K - it's a sensible approach to "running" and will keep you out of the doctor's office. :smile:
  • tomblackshear
    tomblackshear Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Take it easy at 1st. Get some weight off, The pounding on your knee's will not be good. Start out slow and change you speeds. Slow for 2min the faster for 1min then repeat for as long as you can. You will burn more calories this way
  • sidewinder76
    sidewinder76 Posts: 287
    Options
    OMG Get out there and run as much as you can! Don't injure yourself..but the more you run, the better you will feel :) Happy Running!
  • flikster76
    flikster76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If your Doctor says it's fine, go for it! If running is your thing then do it, I only wish I felt like running! I struggle so much with cardio, I loathe it! I'd do weights and stretching all day long, but cardio.........kill me now.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    work on muscle strength and balance BEFORE you start trying to run.

Huh? Since when do you need to work on those before starting to run? Do you work on them before walking? If you don't have balance then walking or even working on strength is going to be tough.

Never known of anyone to have to work on muscle strength & balance before taking up running.
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    Hi. I'm 50lbs overweight. Should I lose the pounds before starting jogging or jump right in? Thank you for any advice.

No. No need to lose all the weight before you start running. My guess is there are 100's of people on MFP that are runnin and are overweight. I'm overweight and I'm running. It will definitely be hard at first, hell it's still hard some days. Try the c25k program. I would suggest walking first. You're not goin to run a 10 minute mile at first, maybe not even a 15 minute mile, but you can do it.

You're stronger than you think:flowerforyou:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'd work on building strength, flexibility, and general fitness before running. I think of running as being pretty demanding in terms of strength and ability to withstand impact, and I don't believe it's exceptionally great as far as calorie burning exercise goes.

Here's an article by Rachel Cosgrove that I found interesting:

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/180.cfm

Really? not that great as far as calories go? oh my. it takes me 1.5 hours of walk at home, with weights....to burn the same amount of calories running that I can get in 50 mins. SO if I ran for the same amount of time as the walk at home then I'd burn almost 2 time as much than the walk at home........

and to you that's not goo as far as calorie burning goes?
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'd work on building strength, flexibility, and general fitness before running. I think of running as being pretty demanding in terms of strength and ability to withstand impact, and I don't believe it's exceptionally great as far as calorie burning exercise goes.

Here's an article by Rachel Cosgrove that I found interesting:

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/180.cfm

Really? not that great as far as calories go? oh my. it takes me 1.5 hours of walk at home, with weights....to burn the same amount of calories running that I can get in 50 mins. SO if I ran for the same amount of time as the walk at home then I'd burn almost 2 time as much than the walk at home........

and to you that's not goo as far as calorie burning goes?

I think he meant to say it isn't that great for fat loss. Which is true after just a couple months of running, unless you do HIIT.

If you just think for a second about the forces being applied to your knees, and how they increase in a non-linear fashion as you body weight increases, running stops looking like a magic exercise and starts looking like one of the riskier options.

A quick scan of the people you see jogging, and you can get an idea of how limited the effectiveness is for body recomposition. Sure, some of that has to do with the accessibility of running compared to other forms of exercise, but some of it has to do with the limited effectiveness of steady state cardio. Of course the same can be said about the elliptical.
  • vet272
    Options
    It was a great start yesterday. Apparently it's not an every day thing so missing it today and going again tomorrow.

Incidentally, tried to get my sons' running shoes today and the shop said they shouldn't start any jogging till they're eight? Thoughts anyone?