Terrified of the gym

Options

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You have embarrassment anxiety... and, BOY, do I know all about that. I do go to the gym, but I put on my headphones and use imaginary blinders so I don't think about anyone but ME. People may look at you, but I guarantee there is someone else in that gym who is as embarrassed as YOU are. The more you go, the less anxiety you will feel. :)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Did you have a bad time in gym lessons at school? Of all my school reports the one comment that sticks in my mind is my PE teacher "M... will never get any enjoyment out of this subject until she puts more effort in." We were only offered netball and hockey - both of which I hate. We had one term of fencing (which i loved) but never dance or horse riding. So as far as I am concerned gyms always have been and always will be torture chambers.

BUT

Rather than pay to skip the gym I spend my money on DVDs and do my workouts at home. And I've discovered Zumba, where being out of time, out of shape or just plain doing it "wrong" is not a problem. Its no fashion parade of the latest workout gear - everyone wears what they feel comfortable in. Once class I go to the instructor doesn't wear a headset, she looks like she's having a party and we get disco lights (and the hall lights off) so we can kid ourselves its not even exercise really. The other clas is in the cold light of day in a studio, but no-one gets picked on, there's just encouragement to get really funky (sort of thing :ohwell: ). And on days when I can't get to a class Wii zumba fits the gap.

If you want a big range of weights and equipemnt you'll have to get to a gym sooner or later. But if you want to tone up a bit irst try a home-made route and maybe you'll feel able to go in, in a little while.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    So work out at home?

^^^This. I, too, have never been good about working out in gyms (which probably explains why I carried around the extra weight for so long). I have lost 33 pounds without stepping foot in a gym. I have an elliptical and hand weights at home. I also have recently taken up running. There are also loads of videos that you can buy or view on Youtube that will help you lose weight and tone.

If you really want this, then go for it and don't let anything get in your way. Don't make excuses as to why you can't do it. Just do it, and do it for YOU.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Every time I go past a gym it is full of slim, fit, young people doing their thing. I wish they'd all just get a life so us old, fat, unfit folks can have a turn.
  • esme1983
    esme1983 Posts: 60
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but the level of anxiety you describe sounds like it might be interfering with your life, which is a sufficient reason to talk to a therapist. And yeah, working out at home might be a good idea for a while, until you get a handle on this.

You might be right, I REALLY (cant stress enough) appreciate everyone's advice but I'm kind of reading it all and thinking "You just don't understand" I even feel anxious exercising alone at home to be honest. If I get a move wrong or something my eyes start to sting and I just turn off the DVD or put the weights away. In all other areas of my life I am confident, I have quite a high performance sales job where I don't worry about what people think (anymore than anyone else does that is) but when it comes to exercise I just feel like a giant mass of bones and flesh that's kind of been cut out and plonked in the middle of another planet where the air doesn't suit its lungs... or something like that anyway..!!

Running is okay, because no one can see me and it's just me in my own thoughts, I don't feel claustrophobic or watched. But it's not going to get me the body I want.
  • fyoufat
    fyoufat Posts: 85
    Options
    There will be people better than you at the gym, use it to inspire you to want to be there (at least that is what I do). I am so fat and I still am running, out of breath, and sweaty -and it took me a while to feel comfortable to push myself. But once I did, it definitely brought my focus up. Give yourself goals, and write what you are doing down, so you see your progression. Put some music on an ipod and just zone out of the real world and into your workout. And you will be SO surprised at how much you improve if you go consistently, you just have to make yourself keep going to the gym and it will all work out believe me. You only have 17 pounds to loose, you can definitely do it.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I walked into my gym the other day and there were two women, obviously friends because they were working out together, and they both weighed well over 20 stone! Of course people noticed them when you walked in, because 1) they're new and 2) they're quite big
    But no one even looked at them after a few seconds! I asked my boyfriend after our gym session if he saw them too and he said he didn't notice, he was too busy on his own workout.

I used to be terrified of joining the gym too, because I thought I was too big and everyone would think 'what is she doing here'. I still have those worries now! But I think, MY health is more important than what other people think.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If it helps, just being in the gym makes you a member of the elite. :) No matter how much you sweat, wobble, or tire out - just going the extra mile to work out makes you awesome ! It doesn't matter if you are skinny or obese. And everyone else is working too hard to notice what you look like.

I've left the gym with my entire back drenched in sweat and my face as red as a tomato. It's not pleasant to workout in front of others, but it's no big deal.
  • MariahRea
    MariahRea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you this, the only bad workout is the one you didn't do!!! I go o Zumba and I am the most uncoordinated person ever. I step on my own toes and trip myself and can't keep up but I just keep moving even if I'm not doing the exact same thing the instructor or the rest of the class is doing. You have to learn to laugh at yourself, It's all in the name of being healthy and having fun with it. No one is there to judge you, in fact, you will find that in these classes at he gym is where you will find the most encouraging people, You just have to get there and start, That's the hardest part. If you don't do it you will continue this self destructive pattern you are on of hating your body and yourself for not doing it so just get out there and do it. It will build your character and charisma and it will give you the confidence you so desperately desire. It's you vs. you and no one else.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Terrified is not thinking that somebody may disapprove of you at the gym. Terrified is when the doctor tells you that your beloved husband's blood sugar is 511 and he has to get on daily insulin injections or be dead in 5 years. Terrified is when you have shingles involving the face and have lesions on the eyeball, and you're told that if it develops further you may well lose the sight in that eye. This while your face is so swollen you cannot see out of your right eye for three days, your skin feels like it's on fire, with acid dripping into your eye, and a crawling itch under the skin that won't go away even if you scratch till you draw blood...and this goes on night and day, 24/7, for eight months. That's terrifed. Trust me on this, I've been there.
  • rjperu
    rjperu Posts: 1
    Options
    If you are already running on a regular basis, you are already ahead of the game. I am similar in that running has always been my thing. It's always been a struggle for me to gain strength, so when I take time off from lifting, I feel like when I go back to the gym, people are laughing at how little weight I am using (this is more of a male concern than female, it's a macho thing). What always helps me is to have a plan. You can find good free routines at www.bodybuilding.com. Don't get intimidated by all the pictures and everything on there, they have programs meant for men, women, beginners and pros and they have illustrations and explanations for each exercise (tempo, what muscles to focus on, etc.). I would look for a simple total body routine on there and practice some of the movements at home without weights so you're comfortable with them. Then, when you're ready for the gym, print out your workout and take it with you. Start with lighter weights than you think you can do, just focus on getting the movements and form down properly. As you get more comfortable with the routine, you can increase the weight you are using in future workouts to give yourself more of a challenge. They may give suggested rest periods between sets and exercises, but for now I would just focus on getting comfortable in the routine and worry about that stuff later. The first time will be the hardest, but you'll start getting more comfortable after a couple of times. I know what it feels like to have gym anxiety, so I hope this helps!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Terrified is not thinking that somebody may disapprove of you at the gym. Terrified is when the doctor tells you that your beloved husband's blood sugar is 511 and he has to get on daily insulin injections or be dead in 5 years. Terrified is when you have shingles involving the face and have lesions on the eyeball, and you're told that if it develops further you may well lose the sight in that eye. This while your face is so swollen you cannot see out of your right eye for three days, your skin feels like it's on fire, with acid dripping into your eye, and a crawling itch under the skin that won't go away even if you scratch till you draw blood...and this goes on night and day, 24/7, for eight months. That's terrifed. Trust me on this, I've been there.

You cannot quantify subjective human misery by comparing experiences. I am sorry you seem to have had some troubles in your life, but that does not invalidate OP's problems.
  • idajo2
    idajo2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I live in an Olympic Peninsula (WA) town where the most "popular" gym in town is the YMCA. I began my M/W/F gym routine shortly after having had Roux en Y gastric bypass surgery (January 15, 2013). - that surgery most likely saved/extended my life! At sixty-three, 5'2" feet tall, morbidly obese (that is no longer an issue due to the surgery), grandmother of adults and a woman who saw "exercise" as something to dread, my gym time has become something I look forward to and really miss if I have to forego a day.

My iPod is a constant companion as I move through my "routine" . . I find myself popping a bud out - from time to time - when (often) young members stop by to encourage me, remind me to "drink water" and share their fitness goals and aspirations. Once I moved beyond the "everybody will be looking at me" phase (which was totally a figment of MY imagination), I started having a blast!

Bottom line . . I simply don't care if I'm sweating, off-balance, saying "drink, drink, drink!!" aloud or huffin'-n-puffin' to beat the band . . all eyes are NOT on me! If I (at 63 and mobility-impaired) found myself to be a "matter of concern" (fell, dizzy, dehydrated, etc.) I have no doubt that there would be folks who had my back . . whether I knew them or not.

I am who I am (I like me!) and I have my own reasons for paying for my Y membership each month. If someone chooses not to exercise next to me - that's their loss (and their problem) 'cause I'm a nice person! We have a significant mix of Y gym folk in Port Angeles; . seniors (that would be me!), youth (still in school) - I had a wonderful conversation with a 12-year-old - who was on an adjacent treadmill a few weeks ago!, folks with disabilities (that would be me!) and - of course - the (primarily) young hardbodies who are so intent on their training regimens that they simply do not *see* what's going on around them.

I do work out at home (hand weights and resistance bands) and I find it MUCH more intimidating than the Y . . my cat STARES, yawns and, for all intents and purposes, judges my workout with a harsh, no-holds-barred and critical eye . . THAT is the best reason I can think of to head for the gym!! :happy:

You're doing this for you - for better health and an improved level of fitness -there's no better reason in my book! You GO girl!!
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is where my caveman-like qualities come in handy. I'm pretty much oblivious to almost everyone in the gym because I just don't care what any of them actually think; I don't need validation. That need for validation should have taken a nosedive back in high school which is all about validation. I can see how a newbie would feel a bit awkward though. I suggest an ipod and the liberal use of your middle finger to ward people off. If you're taking a class then focusing on what you're doing and doing it right is more important than focusing on whether anyone notices if you're doing something wrong or different. The latter is irrelevant to your goals.

If you really want to enjoy the benefits of a gym you've got to suck it up, walk it off, "man-up" and march boldly forward not caring if you fail to live up to someone's expectations and start living up to your own expectations by virtue of repetition, tunnel vision, and complete commitment.

Don't wait until tomorrow to take the gloves off. In the immortal words of Apollo Creed "There is no tomorrow!!!"
  • SpinSpinSugar69
    SpinSpinSugar69 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Omg I can relate.I sort of mental stress myself out of doing this with senseless fear. I have forced myself to go do things but after a time it becomes to hard.Just try running alone and working out at home till you feel more confident,that seems to work for me.Maybe we can encourage each other.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

You cannot quantify subjective human misery by comparing experiences. I am sorry you seem to have had some troubles in your life, but that does not invalidate OP's problems.

agree completely. one person's problems shouldnt be dismissed because someone else has it worse. I may struggle with body issues and compare myself to those who are 30 lbs less than me... but there are folks 30-100 lbs more than me who wish they were in my shoes. we all have our own experiences and/or demons.

OP- i agree that seeing someone who anxiety issues may help. no shame in that!
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Awww, don't worry so much! I go early early in the morning for 2 reasons: one, it's the only schedule I'll stick to and two, no one gives a *kitten* what you're doing at that hour. They're there to get in, get their work done, and get out to get to their jobs on time.

I do know what you mean. When I started lifting heavy I was nervous. I mentioned it to my personal trainer (who got me started). He said, see all those mirrors? Yeah- those dudes are more interested in looking at themselves than they are at you. Totally true. I don't see anyone else when I'm in the zone, when I'm working hard. I couldn't care less that anyone else is there (except if they're on a rack I want). No one cares, seriously. And if they did, what are they to you? If they are thinking those weird, cruel things, you'll prove them wrong anyway by being there on a schedule, improving, doing your work. Seriously though anyone thinking those petty small minded cruel things isn't worth anyone else's time and particularly not yours.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm 40, I'm well over 100lbs over weight - imagine how great I look in shorts and a t-shirt, now add in how I look panting like a steam train, sweating my *&^'s off and bright red as I do the second session of week 3 of C25K. Or huffing and puffing my way through a weight training session where I'm lifting a whopping 15lbs. I know what I look like but also know that if I want to extend my life and be able to do what I want to do in life then I am going to the gym and stuff what I look like! And you know what? - People either are totally doing their own thing or if they have spoken have been incredibly supportive & friendly.

I've joined a chain so use one gym before work in a morning so tend to see the same faces and use my local one at a weekend. The only comments I have had passed was one person asking me how I swam so long (I tend to swim 2km on a Sunday morning) as they wished they could (bear in mind I'm a UK24 in my swimming costume but they didn't care/ weren't interested in that), one of the regulars in a morning commented on my weight loss (always nice to get a compliment!) and someone else was suggesting a class I might like to try as they'd seen I liked to vary my routine. I started weights last week and plucked up courage to book a session with trainer and he was so helpful and friendly, he suggested I do a month - 6 weeks using the machines to start some strength training and then book another session and he'll introduce me to 'the pit' (his name for the free weights area) LOL. Really encouraging and not at all judgemental about my size or lack of fitness.

Honestly, I know overcoming a phobia is very difficult but if you already enjoy running its worth trying to give the gym a go. If trainers aren't judgemental with someone like me (who many people look at and assume I'm fat and therefore must be lazy/ stupid) then I'm convinced they'll be equally helpful and supportive of you. May be see if you can book a pre-meeting and discuss your concerns and fears. Good luck and try not to be so down on yourself :)
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but the level of anxiety you describe sounds like it might be interfering with your life, which is a sufficient reason to talk to a therapist. And yeah, working out at home might be a good idea for a while, until you get a handle on this.

You might be right, I REALLY (cant stress enough) appreciate everyone's advice but I'm kind of reading it all and thinking "You just don't understand" I even feel anxious exercising alone at home to be honest. If I get a move wrong or something my eyes start to sting and I just turn off the DVD or put the weights away. In all other areas of my life I am confident, I have quite a high performance sales job where I don't worry about what people think (anymore than anyone else does that is) but when it comes to exercise I just feel like a giant mass of bones and flesh that's kind of been cut out and plonked in the middle of another planet where the air doesn't suit its lungs... or something like that anyway..!!

Running is okay, because no one can see me and it's just me in my own thoughts, I don't feel claustrophobic or watched. But it's not going to get me the body I want.

You seem to be expecting perfection from yourself when it comes to exercising. It is just like anything else we do in life it takes practice to get good at something. It takes a minimum of 7 times to learn a move and then it isn't perfect. That's why basketball players spend hours perfecting their free throws. As a pianist I spend hours practicing a piece to get it right and so help me if I do it wrong once it is going to take about 14 times to once again be able to do it right consistently.

Having said all that be gentle with yourself. Accept the fact that the first time or the thirtieth time you do something it may not be perfect. Allow yourself to relax and enjoy the process of learning. Good luck! Your world can get a whole lot bigger!!!
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I kind of know what you are talking about. I used to be scared of the free weights section. All these thin, muscular people in there, and here I am, (at the time) a 330 pound fat dude trying them out for the first time in 8 years. Yes, it can be nerve racking, and down right scary. It's definitely a mental thing. The only one holding you back is you. I was reading something in a mental self help book. It's called the 3 second rule. In the book, it states that when facing a decision that could make you nervous, you must act within 3 seconds. After that, your mind goes through all the reasons not to do it. If you just tell yourself "I'm going to do it!" Then follow through in less than 3 seconds, you won't have time to reason yourself out of it with all the potential negative thoughts. After a while, it will just come natural, and you will just do it.