I've personally added "Sitting at Work" as an exercise...

Options
124»

Replies

• lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't add anything as exercise unless it gets my heart rate up into the fat burning zone. I would never consider vacuuming, folding towels, cooking, or grocery shopping as exercise. To me, that's figured into my daily activities since people with sedentary jobs do all of those things as part of their daily life.

For things like moving boxes into the attic and stuff that uses a bit more energy, I just figure it as a bonus. I don't log it, especially if it's only 15-20 minutes. Moving someone into a second-floor apartment all day, yes. Cleaning my house, even spring cleaning? No. I like to err on the side of caution and underestimate my exercise.

what I've done before is if I spent 5 hours super cleaning the house so I could put up the christmas decorations say (including digging all the boxes out of the various places I've put them) I dont log the full 5 hours - but only 1/2 if there's been a lot of up and down the ladders (for outside stuff) and only 1/4 if it's inside stuff

That makes sense. :) I'd probably do the same thing. When we moved into our upper level apartment, we spent about 12 hours moving, but I only logged two hours of activity.
  • MellifluousGirl
    MellifluousGirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Shelving books for the library is absolutely a physically taxing job. The first day I did it for only 2 hours (7 months ago), I didn't think I was going to be able to walk out of the building--my legs were like Jello. Now, I am happy to say, I can get more done in less time, and, although my legs still burn when I leave, it is a good exercise burn, not a Jello quake burn.
  • MellifluousGirl
    MellifluousGirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start counting the calories I burn laughing at you people. :wink: :laugh: I bet it adds up quickly.

Laughing is always great exercise :happy:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Your daily activities are built in. You should not count this.

This. It is a very bad idea to do this.
  • hipop61
    hipop61 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I see that your question has already been answered! But personally, I like to only log my calories if they're actually what I'm burning in conscious exercise. As in, I'm on the bike, running, etc. I don't count walking around at work or similar activities unless I am WAY more active than normal. I use my fitbit to measure that, and even then, I don't eat back all of those extra calories. It keeps me going to gym, rather than just saying "well, I walked to the fridge and back three whole times, so I'm all set." Believe me, I used to tell myself that!