Can't stop the Diet Soda!

Options

Replies

• BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I just know for me it causes water retention, inflammation and slows down my weight loss. I usually feel a lot better when I don't drink it, but I still do for some reason! If you want to see how it feels not to drink it, just try it for a few days...
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that stuff is poison. To give it up.. just don't buy it, don't have it in the house.. don't keep change for the vending machine.

We hired a guy to drive our semi 10 days ago. He showed up at the truck with cases of diet soda. I swear he weighed 500#'s and his hands shook. Oh, and no water.

Three days later he's calling paramedics to his truck because there's something wrong. Guy things he is suffering from heat exhaustion because he was outside in Phoenix picking up his straps. Next day or two days later he's in the hospital and is diagnosed severely dehydrated.

I wouldn't drink it. But I do drink my coffee with that sweetened creamer people say will give you cancer... so just realize this opinion is coming from a hypocrite. :)

There is so much fail here. I am thinking the fact the guy weighs #500 has a lot more to do with his medical condition than the fact that he was drinking diet soda. And even if he was drinking the soda he can still get heat exhaustion because of his weight he would pretty much have to be taking liquids intravenously to not get dehydrated. I don't weigh near that much yet in the summer I have to be drinking at least 8 ounces of liquid every hour. If he was working it's not hard to imagine he wasn't just concentrating on getting enough fluid in his system.

If diet soda is poison then I should be dead by now. I have had an up to 2-2 liter's a day habit.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    drinking diet soda is bad. your body will be looking for those calories and since there is no place to obtain those calories. your skin will start absorbing light molecules and starting photosynthesis to synthesize the sugars in replacement of the sugar it is looking for. Soon after it starts the photosynthesis, you will produce chlorphyll and your skin will turn green.
    After your skin turns green you will soon be on a rampage destroying buildings, tanks, and eventually running from the US military due to the gamma radiation you have exposed yourself to
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I found this stuff from HEB that has replaced my diet soda. It's just water but it has some sort of flavor to it but it's not diet or sugar if that makes sense. It's Central Market (from HEB) Italian Sparking Mineral Water in either Berry, Citrus or Lime. If they don't have it at your local store, they will order it for you.

Here's a link so that you know what I'm talking about

http://www.heb.com/page/healthy-primo-picks/central-market-natural-sparkling-mineral-water
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I drink as much diet soda as I want whenever I want because it has no calories and does not hinder my weight loss. However I try to stay away from the regular soda with sugar in it because of the high calories. I do miss drinking regular soda but I drank WAY too much of it so it had to go.
  • glitterstreet
    glitterstreet Posts: 144
    Options
    Yes, Diet Soda has no nutritional value but if you enjoy it and have a generally balanced diet I really don't see the issue. I have lost 20 pounds and I drink diet soda about every second day and have had no problems. It has no calories and makes me feel full at times, it is also nice to have when you just want to relax and watch some TV or something but don't want to indulge. The idea that diet soda causes weight gain refers to the sweeteners which can make some individuals crave high sugar foods and thus put weight on, or when someone drinks diet soda they may feel more relaxed about eating unhealthy foods. If you can control both of these urges I think you will be fine.

Good luck!
  • DoubleDownForLess
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am super new to MFP (Just signed up yesterday!:smile: ) and so far I'm loving it! I know my eating habits need to change, that's a no brainer! However I will not give up my diet soda! I have started drinking Sparkling Ice at home, no calories, no sugar bubble water. I LOVE BUBBLES!!!! I love sugar, I know, it's so bad for you, but I love it so much! I can leave the bread, leave the salts, but can't go without my sugar. Cutting back I know must be done. But what I want to know is, has anyone lost a good chunk of weight without totally giving up the diet soda? I love 30 pounds on Weight Watchers and didn't give it up, but I want to lose another 40 and really need to know it can be done!!! Thank you so much!

Hey.
    I'm new to the site and this is actually my first comment/post, but I had to say something.
    I've been on/off diets for a long LONG time, And never have I felt or found out that diet soda did any damage or affect my weight loss/gain in any way.
    I drink diet coke, diet sprite, diet sunkist/fanta, diet mt. Dew etc.. And the sugarfree diet snaffle teas. I actually feel it HELPS sometimes to drink a diet soda instead of water with your meal, cause carbonated drinks fill you up more than water (or at least make you FEEL full).
    I can understand people saying water is best for you, but to say that diet soda is WORSE than regular soda is just OFFENSIVE to me in a way. As a type-2 diabetic, I'm relating to the sugar content ALONE, besides calories and Other nutrition info. 39 grams of sugar. 39!! in one 12oz CAN! diabetic or not, that is INSANE! That means more than 11.5% of the drink is pure sugar!
    Looking at a diet coke nutrition info, the only line that comes in with a number other than "0%" is sodium, at 35mg (in regular coke, 45mg).
    As for aspartame - yes, it is an artificial sweetener (about 200x sweeter than sugar, and therefore a very small amount of it is required to sweeten a 12oz can of soda). Each can of diet coke, for example, contains about 180mg of aspartame.
    Now, the FDA set the ACCEPTABLE (not maximum, but acceptable!) daily intake of aspartame at 50mg per each KG of the body's weight. Or about 22.5mg per each pound of your body weight.
    Now let's assume that you weigh 180 lbs. You would need to drink 22.5 cans of diet coke in one day to exceed the amount of aspartame ruled "acceptable" by the FDA.

How many cans of regular coke would you need to drink to exceed the recommended daily sugar intake? 3. That's right. 3 Cans, and you're over your daily limit, before even eating anything, and you know there's sugar in most anything..

I can't see how regular soda can be better than diet soda.. I really can't

Wish that came out longer than I intended.. TL;DR - diet soda is OK. Regular soda - bad!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    drinking diet soda is bad. your body will be looking for those calories and since there is no place to obtain those calories. your skin will start absorbing light molecules and starting photosynthesis to synthesize the sugars in replacement of the sugar it is looking for. Soon after it starts the photosynthesis, you will produce chlorphyll and your skin will turn green.
    After your skin turns green you will soon be on a rampage destroying buildings, tanks, and eventually running from the US military due to the gamma radiation you have exposed yourself to
    But you'd have Betty Ross clamoring for you......................that'd be worth it.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options

I almost stopped reading after the first two sentences. Glad I didn't. 8/10 would read again.
  • DatMurse
    Options

I almost stopped reading after the first two sentences. Glad I didn't. 8/10 would read again.

after so many of these threads you just kinda stop caring and want to make up stories
  • 22workout
    22workout Posts: 36
    Options
    My dad is just like that. I tell him im on a diet and hes like "DIET soda" its good for you.
    But its not soda is bad for you not because of the calories, its because what soda is made up of. You can have a soda once in a while sure, but listen to me when I tell you. Soda is bad not good. Heres my rule on food
    "If the food wasn't there back in the olden days, its probably not healthy." There are some exceptions to that rule but mostly not many. And soda is not one of them.
  • tashalloyd330
    tashalloyd330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have lost 36 lbs and have drank nothing but diet soda for years now. I drink about 1-2 bottles a day during the workweek, but really want to cut it out because of it being nutritionally worthless and also I have been super bloated lately and I have read that diet soda and sugar free candies can cause that.

With that being said, I think it is a personal choice for everyone.
  • gingersnaps828
    Options
    I know this is a very controversial topic. But I personally am very addicted to diet soda. Diet mountain dew specifically. I'm only a couple weeks into MFP, and I've made some changes to be sure I'm drinking more water. And initially I thought I'd try cutting out all soda. I immediately learned that wouldn't happen. And I am OK with that. It works within my daily goals, and I've lost weight drinking it. My doctors are OK with me drinking it (we've had the talk about how much I drink, the whole aspartame debate, etc). I've also heard it can make you feel hungry, and I think this might just depend on the person, because it doesn't make me any more hungry than when I drink water. It's just like when people say if you're hungry, drink water and see if you're still hungry as if water will fill the hunger. It never does for me.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    My dad is just like that. I tell him im on a diet and hes like "DIET soda" its good for you.
    But its not soda is bad for you not because of the calories, its because what soda is made up of. You can have a soda once in a while sure, but listen to me when I tell you. Soda is bad not good. Heres my rule on food
    "If the food wasn't there back in the olden days, its probably not healthy." There are some exceptions to that rule but mostly not many. And soda is not one of them.

We also live alot longer than the "old days"
    Using time to determine what was healthy and what wasnt is not a smart way to argue
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda like it's going out of style. I enjoy every second of it. Not everyone will feel the same way. That's the bottom line.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put aspartame in my body if you paid me. You're messing with poison :(

I am a medic, and we have yet to be dispatched to an aspartame overdose. Just sayin'.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Drink your diet pop, ignore the naysayers. Just don't smoke crack or anything like that and you should be fine.

Diet soda is worst than crack.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    Diet soda is worst for you than regular soda. You really should do some research on it and maybe that will help kick your habit!!!

No it's not.

Yes it is. You're just saying that because you don't want to give up drinking it. Do whatever you want, but you can't argue that it's healthy.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    Drink your diet soda! Whats worse, diet soda or being unhealthy and overweight???? I think it is the lessor of two evils!

Um, let me think... Drinking diet soda AND being unhealthy!
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    I drink about 2-3 cans of diet pepsi a day. I haven't exploded yet, nor has it hindered my weight loss in any way.

You're 29 yo. Wait until you're 60 and have developed some complications due to it and then, you might regret drinking your beloved diet soda.