What do you count as 'water'?

Options
I've noticed some variation in what people count toward their water intake. I usually count all non-alcoholic liquids toward water, as long as I also account for any calories the liquid may have. Then I wonder, should diet soda count, should coffee count, should decaf count, should orange juice count, should flavored waters count, should iced tea count? Maybe only calorie-free, decaffeinated beverages? I'm sure there are also purists who would say only clear H20 counts. What do you count toward your total water intake?

Replies

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You could also include alcoholic drinks. One of the main reasons people in medieval times drank wines and ales was because it was safer than drinking water. Had such practices lead to the dehydration and dessication of the societies of the time many fewer of us would be here today.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    i only count water as water when it is only water. if you add flavour to it or anything to water i wouldnt count it as water or i could count vodka tonic as water
  • chocolady123
    Options
    I think its best to to count Water as simply Water. No funny flavored stuff.
  • amanda1005
    amanda1005 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This was actually one of the questions on my final in my dietetic class this past semester. The general rule of thumb is to count all juices, coffees and teas, caffeinated or decaffeinated, with your water count. You, of course, still need to account for the added calories in these liquids.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Water is counted as water.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    anything that's liquid and isnt a diuretic. so i dont count coffee but i do count iced tea i make from caffeine free tisanes
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    Water. That's it.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with counting liquids that are caffeine & alcohol-free towards the daily 64-oz, but I just count plain water.
  • gingersnaps828
    Options
    This was actually one of the questions on my final in my dietetic class this past semester. The general rule of thumb is to count all juices, coffees and teas, caffeinated or decaffeinated, with your water count. You, of course, still need to account for the added calories in these liquids.

good to know :)
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I definitely only count water as water. I see it as the straight fuel we literally can't survive without. Everything else I can survive without doesn't count as water to me. Of course I drink coffee, diet soda, or whatever else, I just don't think to count it as my water intake.
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Im like you in that I count pretty much all liquids except alcohol as water. I count all the calories that is in anything that isn't water. But I make sure the majority of my day is water.
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Water. If I have a zero calorie soda or flavored water such as the Sobe life water I log it separately
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't track water, but if I did, water would be logged as water. Because it's water
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options

This.

A few cups of coffee a day will not dehydrate you. All liquids I count... pop, coffee, tea, juice, water, etc since they all hydrate your body. I personally wouldn't drink all coffee for your water intake but it still does count.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I only count... water.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in tracking water. There are plenty of other, more important, things to track and stress over.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

This.

A few cups of coffee a day will not dehydrate you. All liquids I count... pop, coffee, tea, juice, water, etc since they all hydrate your body. I personally wouldn't drink all coffee for your water intake but it still does count.
    Agreed. See also the Snopes article on the "Eight Glasses of Water" issue.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    This topic makes me want to kill myself.
    Via drowning.
    In water.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I don't count water because I believe it's almost entirely meaningless.

That said, I don't believe making a solution with water changes the chemical properties of the water. Unless what you're doing to the water is separating a couple of H's from an O, then your body will still know what to do with it. It seems that some people would have you believe that water you drink with a meal wouldn't count as water because the food would dissolve with it in your stomach.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This topic makes me want to kill myself.
    Via drowning.
    In water.

Log those gulps. Even the last ones.