does this myfitnesspal actually work???

13»

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    You get out of it what you put into it.

You will want to accurately keep track of your calories AND be honest about it, LOL...because it's the actual caloric value of what you put in your mouth that is the real, not what you THINK it weighs, or what you think the calories are.

It can be a pain to weigh or measure all the foods, but until you get used to what portion sizes are? That was the new habit I had the hardest time getting used to. I always just dished up the food, and ate it. Measure? Weight? What? :laugh:

And don't think of it as a diet, LOL...think about it as a sustainable lifestyle. :smile:

Good luck to you!
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    It works as much as you do. It is a tool, for you to use. If you don't use it as intended then it will be as effective as the workout dvd sitting on a shelf collecting dust, or as effective as that gym membership that you can't find time to take advantage of.

If you are committed, then MFP is an awesome tool and a great resource of information if you can weed through the forums to find it amongst the garbage.

Welcome to MFP
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    MFP is an excellent tool if you utilize it. Really, your success depends on your commitment to living a healthier lifestyle.

That being said, I've lost almost 60 lbs with MFP and am now only a few lbs away from my goal weight. My friends on this website, their guidance, commitment, and support have been instrumental in my weight loss.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    If you choose to use MyFitnessPal as an interactive tool and commit yourself to a lifestyle change, yep, it'll work (I lost close to 100 pounds over a couple of years). If you just log on every day and hope that you'll magically lose weight by proxy, nope, it won't work (trust me, I've been testing the second half of that for six months now haha).
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    It works as much as any other program. The best thing is that it isn't a gimmick! It teaches you to eat for the rest of your life.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    My ticker says yes. I actually do the work though, MFP is the tool I use to track it all. It's "working" for me, so far. If I end up changing my methods later and it's due to the members I will still count that as an MFP win since the site is where all the smart, lifting, critical, "mean" people can be found who have honest answers to what might work for others. So yes, as a tool it works, as a tracker of progress it works, as a place for like minded individuals to offer support it works, and as a gathering place for smart fitness folks to share knowledge and ideas it works. As a place to find inspiration in the form of other members successes, and fancy gifs, it works too.
  • totally works.. check out the success story section.. its REAL people.
  • hollieiow
    hollieiow Posts: 8 Member
    wow such positive feedback I cant wait until i start loosing weight and yeah of course I know you have to be dedicated and want to actually do it, just the other diets are confusing and this seems quite simple! Thankyou every1 for your comments :)

Lets do this!!!! :-D
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    We're with you all the way!

An that's the other thing that helps :flowerforyou:
  • allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    As many have stated, "MFP" does not work, YOU do. What it does for me is gives me a way to look at what I am eating regarding calorie intake and adjust my lifestyle to stay within limits. I am not as diligent as some at logging daily, but keeps me honest in a way.

Good luck to you in reaching your goals.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Yes, if you use it. It will keep track of calories and exercise for you, give you reports. At that it's an invaluable tool. It will not exercise for you nor will it control the choices you make; that's up to you.