Alternatives to squats? Help!

Options
I really want to shape up my legs and butt a bit, but squats aren't going to be an option. I've been doing a lot of walking, but I don't know if that alone is going to do much for muscle definition.
Am I alright just walking? Are there any good alternatives for squats?

editing for more information: I've had four surgeries on my knees, and I likely currently have torn cartilage in my right knee.

Replies

• bleedingdesu
    bleedingdesu Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    aw, this is disappointing.
  • jpierc
    jpierc Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Dumb question first: Why are squats not an option? They work, so I feel obligated to ask why you can't/won't do them.
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Dumb question first: Why are squats not an option? They work, so I feel obligated to ask why you can't/won't do them.

Wondering the same thing...
  • kr381806
    kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Is it a health/injury reason as to why you cannot do squats?
  • bleedingdesu
    Options
    I've had four surgeries on my knees and I have torn cartilage in one.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    lunges, step ups lots of other things, but you don't say why you can't do squats knowing the reason may help people to advise.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Answers will depend a lot on why you can't do squats, which you didn't explain.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If you can't do squats for medical reasons (as you mentioned) the safest thing would be to ask your doctor for alternatives, or for a physical therapist who can show you alternative moves.
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Are you able to do wall sits or leg lifts?
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    definition comes from fat loss. it doesn't matter how much muscle you have, you have to lose the fat, to see it.
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I haven't done squats in a while (hurt lower back), but I do lunges, step ups and Rear Elevated Split Squats. So if you are concerned about a weak lower back, those have worked well for me as alternatives to squats. And no, you will not achieve the same kind of muscle definition from walking as you would from squatting or other forms of resistance training.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options

In that case, you should probably ask a specialst. Have you asked your physical therapist? I could throw out some thoughts, but wouldn't want you to injure yourself more trying something. Good luck!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

In this case, I would suggest consulting with your doctor for exercises that won't cause further damage.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Agree - why no squats? Walking is OK, but won't do much for your muscles...walking uphill is best if that is your only option. Jumping rope has done wonders for my calves.

Other good leg/butt exercises in addition to squats:

Forward, backward and/or walking Lunges (add weight at some point)
    Plank leg lifts (get in a low plank, lift leg up behind you as high as you can - do a set and alternate legs)
    Straight Leg Deadlift
  • bleedingdesu
    Options
    definition comes from fat loss. it doesn't matter how much muscle you have, you have to lose the fat, to see it.
    I'm already losing fat. It I lose fat and have incredibly weak muscle beneath, I'll just look like I'm starving. I've been there without actually working on muscle strength.
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I walk hills; steep hills. That did wonders for my legs before I started doing squats. I have had ACL reconstructive surgery on BOTH of my knees and never thought they were possible for me. However, once I started doing them in modified form, I found that they helped to strengthen the stabilizing muscles in my legs which allowed me to squat more. BUT I don't squat in a squat rack at a gym. I do squats in the comfort of my home with 2 10# hand weights.
  • bleedingdesu
    Options
    Are you able to do wall sits or leg lifts?
    I can do wall sits for short periods of time (30 seconds max), but I can do straight leg lifts basically as much as I want/can manage.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Try walking Leg Lunges. Hold 10-15 pounds in each hand. Do about 20 each leg. 4 sets.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I have knee issues to and lunges, squats, step ups - they all kill my knees. I was able to go through them for a while but it's slowly gotten worse and worse. I know that bicycling is really good for your legs. If you don't have a bike or trails to ride, then see if you can do spining - With spinning classes, you want to be sure you do it right as if you don't, you can mess up your knees even more. So be sure the instructor goes though how to fit the machine to your body and how to ride so it works well. My legs are in better shape in years with the spinning and the running I've been doing. And if I can just get my right knee to quit yelling at me, I might be able to ease back into squats. Also - if you can, wall sits will work your legs too. And you don't talk about if you want just upper legs or calves too. Calf raises shouldn't bother your knees.
  • mama2mila
    mama2mila Posts: 92
    Options
    walking lunges holding weights, plies, and leg machines at the gym :)