How much is your gym membership?

Options

Replies

• shannongoneau
    shannongoneau Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My goodlife (Ontario Canada) membership is 21 plus tax bi weekly. Its not bad but I think there are cheaper gyms in my area. If you don't think you can budget for a gym membership try find a set of used free weights for cheap and look up free weight exercises on youtube or bodybuilding.com
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I go to a City Rec Center that has a gym.. It cost $13 a month for the whole family.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    World Gym, $10.00 per month.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I plan on getting access to the fitness room on my street. (It's for all the apartments on the street) Last time I heard it was one time fee of $20 for the key for as long as you live here. However, recently I saw an advertisement on the street (they have these HUGE signs everywhere up and down the street!), that says workouts on the one-site gym are free. Makes me wonder if I still have to pay for the key. I am going to inquire next time I go to the office to pay my rent. I'm not sure what they have in there, but I hope they at least have a treadmill and exercise bike. I want to be able to go there when it's raining or other bad weather where I can't get out and walk.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    $67/month for our two memberships (wifey and me)
  • oskeeter1
    oskeeter1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My husband and I spend $15 dollars each a month for Fitness 19. The hours are convenient, there's no contract, tons of weight lifting machines/cardio machines, and even more importantly, no one uses the olympic barbells (but me and maybe one other person each time I'm there).

We used to spend $60 ish each to go to the 24hr Super Sport, but this has been so convenient (and we're more inclined to go because of that).
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I belong to Ideal Fitness. My parents have memberships and added my sisters and I on (even though we don't live with them), for $9 each, per month. So, I pay my dad the $9.

My gym is nice, but basic. Meaning, it has everything I need, but it does not offer classes like the larger gyms, nor does it have a pool. The cardio equipment includes the standard treadmills, elipticals, the high step ellipticals, stair climbers and the machine that looks a little like the Tony Little machine. The key for me is that each machine has it's own tv. There is plenty of variety of machines and free weights too. We do not have a contract and they are open 7x24
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am in the Uk, and my membership is £15.99 a month, including trainer led classes and 24 hour virtual classes, as well as 24 hour gym access. That works out to about $24.50.
  • sirduckbutt
    sirduckbutt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use Fitness World (Denmark), and I pay about $47/month.
  • insectt
    insectt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mine is free since my health insurance pays 100%. I go to the Y, which is great because I can take my ten year old daughter, also.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! Spectrum is only $19 a month for you?!? I go to Spectrum and it costs me $78 per month. That's for just me, not a family membership or anything like that. And we don't have a pool at any of our local clubs. Everyone at our location pays the same price, you can't keep your old membership deal - when prices go up, they send you a letter and increase your fees. I've been a member for like 10 years, and started at $29. I'd switch but there's no where to go around here that's any cheaper....
    I was going to Planet Fitness for $10.90 a month, but they didn't have barbells for actual weight lifting and used Smith machines instead of actual squat racks. I switched to Spectrum Fitness for $19.00ish a month and not only got free weights and a squat rack, but got it in a women-only area upstairs that hardly ever gets used. NO WAITING!! YAY!
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Just under $20 a month
  • Renobiker
    Renobiker Posts: 26
    Options
    $10/month mine comes with almost everything, there are basketball courts, studios for those who wish to do yoga etc, pool, hot tub, sauna huge area for weights ,machines.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I am in the Uk, and my membership is £15.99 a month, including trainer led classes and 24 hour virtual classes, as well as 24 hour gym access. That works out to about $24.50.

Nice, it that a chain?
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! Spectrum is only $19 a month for you?!? I go to Spectrum and it costs me $78 per month. That's for just me, not a family membership or anything like that. And we don't have a pool at any of our local clubs. Everyone at our location pays the same price, you can't keep your old membership deal - when prices go up, they send you a letter and increase your fees. I've been a member for like 10 years, and started at $29. I'd switch but there's no where to go around here that's any cheaper....
    I was going to Planet Fitness for $10.90 a month, but they didn't have barbells for actual weight lifting and used Smith machines instead of actual squat racks. I switched to Spectrum Fitness for $19.00ish a month and not only got free weights and a squat rack, but got it in a women-only area upstairs that hardly ever gets used. NO WAITING!! YAY!

I know! I was surprised too. A few years ago, I was looking for a gym and they were more in the $60-$70 range. Since then, many other, newer, gyms have been popping up, including Planet Fitness which is in close proximity. I guess they had to lower their rates to compete. It's a pretty old gym and looks it too. People are flocking to the newer, more modern types. I'm just hoping they stay in business long enough for me to make some real progress. haha
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    my membership is 26.00 a month and I am there quite often so it's well worth the 26.00 and I am fortunate this amount is small compared to some other fees.
  • Meecro128
    Meecro128 Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm in England, so probably doesn't give you a good point of comparison, but I'm paying £27.00 a month for a nice quiet gym with plenty of machines, weights, pool, sauna, steamroom, and spa.

But, my brother is back home in America, and paying $10.50 a month at Just Fitness (I think that's what it's called and it's a chain?) that's a pretty basic gym with all the cardio machines, weight machines and free weights you'd ever need just without the frills. No pool, sauna, basic locker room etc. Contractless and only a small joining fee (I think just the first month was $21 and the rest are 10.50 cancel anytime)
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Fitness 19: $35/mo BUT
    $15 for my "all clubs" membership, month to month, excluding yearly dues.
    Additional $20 for my 3 kids to be in the kids' area.
    (They matched my rates at Gold's)

Previously...

Gold's Gym: $35/mo BUT
    $20 for my "all clubs", contracted for 2 yrs, excluding yearly dues. Holy cancelation fees, Batman!!! $-50-100 to cancel.
    Additional $15 for my 3 kids to be in childcare.

ETA:
    I used to go to the YMCA which totaled $45/mo, but no yearly dues.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    $25 a month, excluding yearly dues of $50(ish). Fitness First, just the DC location. For a bit more I could have access to all the locations but I only need that one - it's right by my job.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    About $62 a month with taxes. Local YWCA that has a great Pool and lots of classes. Seeing as Yoga studios around here charge $120 a month it's not too bad. Company reimburses us $120 a year.