Replies

• Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 2old2befat
    2old2befat Posts: 21
    Options
    I hate sweet potatoes unless they are covered with melted marshmellows, but was turned onto this "recipe" this weekend and LOVED it. Got this off of Austin and Alley ( don't judge...got a tween... hehe!) and it's gonna be a regular in our house for sure!

Thinly cut peeled sweet potatoes using a slicer. Coat with EVOO and line single layered on a cookie sheet. Salt lightly with sea salt. ( I added crushed rosemary too and it was delish!) and baked at 275 degrees for 1-1.5 hours until crispy. They taste like potato chips. VERY VERY good!
  • azpoppy
    azpoppy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I mostly dislike sweet potatoes - I like the flavor, but the texture is icky to me. I have issues, what can I say. :-) That said, this is the best recipe for sweet potatoes *ever*!

Sweet Potato Crack

Slice sweet potatoes into 1-inch tall rounds (I slice them thinner so they get a bit crispy)

Mix in a bowl with freshly minced garlic (the more the better), olive oil, kosher salt (to taste) and thyme.

Put into baking pan and bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until tender. (I cook them until the cut edges caramelize and get crispy)

(There is a reason this stuff is called "crack". It is like the best thing ever, seriously.)
  • Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I like sweet salty I wash a whole potato poke holes in it then place in foil bake in regular oven at 375 for an hour or until fork slide out easily ( I hate micro for potatos,please bake) lol. Then the magic... add some butter or your fav butter spread ( you do not need much) mush it in with fork then add some kosher or sea salt and fine ground pepper mix it then..,. ad drizzled honey then sprinkle with high quality cinnamon....then nom nomn. Sometimes I slice into fries par boil, then dry them sprinkle with olive oil and chipotle chili powder then bake at 400 till crispy.
    Also they taste nice made like mashed potatos the add seasoning like cinnamon and a bit of brown sugar or savory with butter salt pepper. They are versatile!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Cut into chunks and roasted in a hot oven (450) with small amount of olive oil, salt, pepper and other seasoning of your choice. I like a little oregano and garlic powder. Very good this way!
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My favorite favorite way to have a sweet potato is in the oven. It is so simple and so delicious. I preheat the oven to 400F, wash the potato, poke some holes in it, and pop it in the oven for about an hour. I usually get around 45 minutes to see how they are doing. The larger ones will take the full hour usually. I then cut them open, just a slit, put two pats of butter in the slit and let it melt. Then I just pull the skin right off, add a little bit of honey, some cinnamon, and freshly ground nutmeg and mash it all up. BEST THING EVER!!! Even my 3 year old asks for seconds :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Poke about 6 holes in the skin of the sweet potato, pop it in the microwave, cook on high for 4 to 5 minutes, cut up into bite size pieces (leave skin on, good nutrients there), add a little oil or butter (fat helps with absorption of beta-carotene) and sprinkle on a little cinnamon and brown sugar and enjoy!!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple .. boiled, mashed, with sriracha

Roasted: Olive oil, Honey, garlic, ginger.
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Me too. I just eat them plain, skin and all. Sometimes I sprinkle them with some curry powder for a savory jolt of pungency!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    So over the weekend I had been turned on to sweet potatoes, and I'm wondering why the heck I haven't tried them before!

I'm wondering what are some good ways to prepare them other than making a dessert out of them (pies, candied Thanksgiving style, etc).

How should they be seasoned? Salty/sweet? Garlic???

Don't just pull recipes off the internet--I want to know what YOU do with them!

One of my favorite ways to eat them is to steam them (peel and all) in a steamer pot until they are fork tender, and then eat them like a baked potato (the skin easily separates from the flesh when you steam it). Just split it open and top with a generous dollop of full-fat balkan style yogurt (tastes just like sour cream) and put a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. Mmmmm. (I'll probably make it for dinner tonight or tomorrow night!) :smile:
  • krislyn84
    krislyn84 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is to cut them into 1 inch chunks, toss with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast. Once they're tender, drizzle them with about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. SO yummy! I also make sweet potato fries (tossed in olive oil and baked), sweet potato patties and black bean and sweet potato soup. Of course, you can just bake them and season to taste. :smile:
  • dltp223
    dltp223 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is a tried and true fave in my household:

Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Onions
    Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Ingredients

4 medium peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 1/4 pounds)
    2 medium Oso Sweet or other sweet onions, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 pound)
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon garlic-pepper blend (such as McCormick)
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Preparation

Preheat oven to 425°.

Combine all ingredients in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, tossing to coat.

Bake at 425° for 35 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • scubar17
    scubar17 Posts: 43
    Options
    My simple homemade Sweet Potato Fries:

Cut sweet potato into fries and toss in a little melted coconut oil. Sprinkle with Kosher (or Sea) Salt and paprika. Bake in the oven at 400-420 for 30-40 minutes.

Delish!
  • thyme4me
    thyme4me Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas!
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Cook & mash, add a little bit of butter and lots of cinnamon, dash of sugar. Yum, yum, yum and still great for you!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    my favorite is mashed with almond milk (I'm lactose intolerant) to make them creamy. Then I top with bacon or pecans, both are delicious.
  • fstfrd00
    fstfrd00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bake like a reg. baked potato
    cut open
    add:
    sour cream (greek yogurt)
    hot sauce (salsa / pico de gallo)
    chicken or beef or turkey
  • MichelleRoseMurphy
    Options
    This is awesome, but not the most diet friendly!!
    Chop sweet potato into fries, wedges, whatever. Soak them for about 15-20 minutes in cold water. Dump them on something to dry them, paper towel tea towel whatever. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, put all your fries( now dry) into a bag or bowl and coat them with tapioca starch( could probably use any number of other starchs). Spread them evenly over cookie sheet or two depending on how much your making. Spray or drizzle with oil( I use canola or olive) .Make sure they are well spaced. Now herb and spice them up!!! I like to use tons of garlic powder, basil, parsley and black pepper. Really whatever you like will work. I bake at about 425, you know your oven best ;) Watch then closely, give them a flip when you see they are getting browned. It's a little extra effort, but so much yummier then prepackaged.. If you have lots of calories to gobble up, mix your fav bbq sauce two parts to one part maple syrup...heaven. I use Diana's Honey Garlic and maple syrup. Enjoy!!!!