Diet tips that don't work

Options

Replies

• tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    'What you are doing looks so hard. Just try the hCg, it is working wonders for me and I don't even have to break a sweat.'

Heck no! I ain't touching that crap!
  • akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    "White bread makes you lose weight because they take all the calories out of it and that's what makes it white."
    no joke.

Every time I see you post your picture cracks me up.
  • bleedingdesu
    bleedingdesu Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    "White bread makes you lose weight because they take all the calories out of it and that's what makes it white."
    no joke.

Every time I see you post your picture cracks me up.
    9/10 doctors recommend my picture.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight. It's all genetic.

You can't lose weight after 30/40/50/60 (pick whatever is closest to the person telling you)

It's easy to take weight off, but you'll never keep it off. Losing weight means you'll just get fatter later. (There is some truth to this - it is harder to maintain than take it off, but mostly because people go back to their old eating habits after a 'diet'.)
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Years ago (when I was younger, slimmer, and had not yet had any kids) - I complained to my doctor about how I was having a hard time losing weight. I was not eating a lot and I was working out regularly. I figured she might send me to a nutritionist or run a blood test - or provide me with some helpful (or perhaps scientific) advice.

Nope - she told me I was just plain eating too much (no way - I was easily under 1200) and that her friend had to eat only an apple and a yogurt a day for 6 mos before she lost any weight.

Uh yeah, no.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    1) Muscle weighs more than fat so if you gain weight, it's just muscle (FALSE)

Um .... So, if someone gains weight it's never muscle???
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I agree. My measurements have gotten smaller, my body fat has decreased, but the scale was higher.
    Cause: Heavy lifting
  • midnight333
    midnight333 Posts: 149
    Options
    I was once told by a relative to achieve your goal weight. You need to take your goal weight number and add a zero on the end of it (ie.115 = 1150). I'm 5'2" and it sorta sounded right so I did it for awhile.NOT!!!
    After joining MFP I ate around 1200 - 1400? Don't really know if right or wrong but Doc. says whatever I'm doing to keep it up. I've lost 73 lbs total (209 - 136) since Jan '12 gonne keep on keepin' on.

Good luck to all fitness warriors out there :flowerforyou:
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    no joke.

Holy crap. I wonder how many unsuspecting people have been told this. This person had to have heard it from someone!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

I agree. My measurements have gotten smaller, my body fat has decreased, but the scale was higher.

I was more addressing the "muscle weighs more than fat" part, because that's untrue, a pound is a pound (like I said in the part you cut off), and the "IF you gain weight, it's JUST muscle" because that's untrue too. If you gain weight, it's not just muscle. It could be water retention, a small fluctuation, or a million things. This statement implies that I shouldn't ever worry if I gain weight while dieting because I'm just gaining muscle, although I could be gaining weight because of inaccurate measurements, bad logging, eating above my calorie goal, etc. Those all-or-nothing statements are just bad ideas.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I was more addressing the "muscle weighs more than fat" part, because that's untrue, a pound is a pound (like I said in the part you cut off), and the "IF you gain weight, it's JUST muscle" because that's untrue too. If you gain weight, it's not just muscle. It could be water retention, a small fluctuation, or a million things. This statement implies that I shouldn't ever worry if I gain weight while dieting because I'm just gaining muscle, although I could be gaining weight because of inaccurate measurements, bad logging, eating above my calorie goal, etc. Those all-or-nothing statements are just bad ideas.

Completely true.
    When I think about muscle weighing more than fat, I don't think it literally (1 lb = 1 lb) but in terms of space taken in the body
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY9DLa0gu6PIQWm47t_T4PL4ZvWh0YCdqp4mJaS2v9jzjKqq6j
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Any tip about "boosting," "jump-starting," or "stoking" your metabolic fire. Blehhhhhhhh.

Don't eat past 8, the food just sits there.

...and don't eat carbs, 'cause carbs are bad. Mmm kay?

If you don't eat breakfast, everything you eat the rest of the day will turn directly into fat because your body is confused and has gone into starvation mode because it doesn't know if it will ever be fed again and has to preserve everything you give it.

Having sex burns like 300 calories.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    no joke.

If that were true, all the Wonder Bread I ate as a kid should have made me thin as a rail.
  • tRiNaBeAnZz
    tRiNaBeAnZz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am asked what "diet" I am on, but the truth is, I am not on a diet. It's a lifestyle change. Of course I still eat out and enjoy a dessert or glass of wine occasionally. I am not going to completely cut out foods that I love. But it's all about portion control, calorie intake and exercise.The biggest part of my weight loss success is exercise. It has played a key role in those 20lbs lost.
    What really makes me mad is when I go out to dinner with family members, and I order grilled chicken or something that isn't 1000 calories per plate, and the family member next to me orders a burger and says, "Trina can't have a burger, she's on a diet."
    WHATEVER.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Um, I overheard something really stupid at the gym the other day, it went something like this: I eat really fast, I have a fast metabolism therefore. Those who eat slowly have slow metabolisms and tend to be fat.

WTF?!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's...:noway: ...just awesome!
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Counting calories does not work
    all you need to do is work out to lose weight
    You can't run to burn calories (seriously? )
    Shapely women shouldn't lift because it takes away your womanly figure (ooooooook...)
    You are losing weight too slow if you are doing all this (working out and eating a deficit)...you should lose like 5 lbs a week

All of the above has been said to me..
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If you really want to rev up your metabolism, have a green smoothie every day!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    carbs at night will make you gain fat. i used to belive this
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry just drink water, you're probably confusing hunger with thirst. Umm no. Then I just get sloshy and stabby.

Meal timing (both that you can boost metabolism by eating often and that you have to stop eating at a certain time)

You have to go low carb

You have to eat clean

Anything with toxins.
  • rustyguy
    rustyguy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The worst one I ever heard was; "Eat cabbage soup. The cabbage soup burns more calories in digestion than it contains".

It sounds utterly ridiculous and more than one person has told me this which means lots of people believe it. I don't understand how you eat it without gagging.