How much sodium do you consume?

Options
I think I might be eating too much sodium without noticing so Im going to start to monitor it. How much sodium do you consume. Im a woman 5"3 and 150 pounds. No health issues.

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I am almost always between about 1800 and 2500 since I changed my eating habits. Prior to January I can only guess it must have been over 5000 daily. ALL my favorite foods are (were) high in sodium.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    bump out of curiosity
  • margieo1983
    margieo1983 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I never checked before MFP, but I'd say a good guess would be around the 5k mark. I ate A LOT of processed food, canned goods, etc. I never realized how much of a sodium difference there was until I started tracking what I ate. Now, I'm almost always under the 2500 mark. Usually around 1500 or so, if I had to guess. The days that I go over are the days that I eat fast food (even the "healthy" options have huge amounts) or pizza.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Don't really take much notice just had a look over the past few weeks. I'm averaging below 1000. I have the odd day around 400 and one at 1200 it seems that my normal is around 800 though.
  • thelordismysheperd1
    thelordismysheperd1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at about 1,800 mg a day, but def need to lower it!
  • msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Last week is the only week I have data for but averaged a little less than 2000 per day, some more some less.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    3000-5000g a day (it's hard to tell as I don't log pickles since they don't really have calories), so realistically, it's probably more on the higher end. I still lose 1 lb a week and my blood pressure is 110/70. But I also eat a lot of foods high in magnesium and potassium which can help offset some of the effects of sodium.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I monitor mine on MFP. Started when I had weight gain / bloat w/o other explanation.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Don't really take much notice just had a look over the past few weeks. I'm averaging below 1000. I have the odd day around 400 and one at 1200 it seems that my normal is around 800 though.

I'm about the same range here. I USED to be insane with sodium, salt on everything, processed/canned foods, etc, so now I like to actually monitor it as closely as I do my calories, just to keep myself in line.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I've been trying my best to get my sodium under control, but I'm usually over 2500
  • FoTime
    FoTime Posts: 21
    Options
    A few months ago, I'd guesstimate between 3k-4kmg daily. Now I'm trying (and usually struggling) to keep it around 2k.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I was just reading on this subject and found the thread here on MFP. I guess the American Heart Association recommends 2000 and my setting here was on 2500. I have been going over that lately. I especially got interested because of vanity (my eye's really look bad, drooping and puffy). It's partly age, but a lot could be not enough water on a regular basis and too much sodium.

I'm starting today setting my sodium goal at 2000, drinking more water, and, eye exercises. They are pretty simple and make sense since the eyelids have muscles as well. It's worth a try, especially when my eyes seem to have made me look 10 years older in just 2 years:(

The body needs sodium though so I wanted to work with a "healthy" number. I hope the old heart association knows what they are talking about;) Denise
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I looked once, and it was pretty damn high...I eat lots of turkey sausage and processed meats for lunch out of convinience. BUT...a big BUT is that I exercise like a beast. I can tell when I've eaten a lot of salt because the following day on the elliptical I will the machine completely, 100% covered in sweat. I had all my blood checked in February, and thanks to my exercise schedule every thing is A-OK. If I didn't exercise, I would probably want to try real cuts of meat for lunch, but the processed meats are just so damn convienient.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Most days 3-4k, often 4-5k.
    Unless you eat basically nothing good and avoid foods packaged
    with deliciousness,it's hard.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Mine's fairly high... Over 2500 most of the time. I don't bother tracking it. No health issues, plus I drink a lot of water and sweat buckets.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I start having water retention issues if I go above 1500 mg, so that is pretty much my max amount. I typically only go over if I eat at restaurants.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    men's needs are different of course, didn't check what you guys need a day. Everyone is different and like all things, we have to see what works for us. I'll see how I do on the 2000 instead of the 2500, plus lay off the tortilla chips and other things that are just loaded with salt. I'm glad to know we need salt because I would hate trying to give it up completely. Denise
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Probably anyone who is eating a lot of processed food is getting too much.

I don't even monitor sodium anymore. I have other things I'm more concerned with and MFP only gives me so many things to track, so I have to prioritize. I cook almost everything I eat from scratch, almost nothing canned or pre-made, so most of the sodium I get is from the salt I add myself, which isn't a whole lot.
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure, so I should have a sodium intake of < 1,500mg per day. In reality, it's usually between 1500 and 2000 mg per day, but its better than what it was before I started tracking.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I have mine set up at 2000 and very often I am below that or right on target. But sometimes, specially when eating out, I will be closed to 2500.

It is a balancing act trying to hit my calories and macros all the time, and "enjoying life" at the same time.