almost 19, and parents still call me fat

Options
2»

Replies

• tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 33 and my mother still calls me fat. I'm not. According to some people who know me I apparently look borderline anorexic. So take my mother's comments for what they're worth...

I don't live at home and quite frankly I've told her to go f*** herself on more than one occasion. She's aware of exactly what she's doing - she's just not a nice person. It's a horrible thing to have to realise about one of your parents, but sometimes that's just the way things are :(
  • NicoleOmorose
    Options
    I can definitely sympathize with you. All through my youth I dealt with emotionally abusive parents. Being called fat was a normal thing in my house. You may not be financially able to move out and focusing on school is good, but in that situation you are just setting yourself up for a possible bought with major depression which will in the end take a toll on your school work. The main suggestion I have is seek out some help from a professional. They will help you learn better ways to cope than eating your feelings, which I did for many years. You can check with your school to see if they have any sort of counseling programs on campus that you would be eligible for or check in your local community. You may be able to find a place that offers help based on your income, or if you have insurance through your parents check with the insurance company and see what it will cover. I really hope you are able to overcome this and can show the world how awesome you are no matter what your weight is.

How did you manage? Did you have any siblings you felt responsible for?
  • kath2810
    kath2810 Posts: 93
    Options
    Your parents are responsible for you and your sisters way of eating not you, if parents show their children from an early age how to eat healthy and responsibly there will be less chance of eating unhealthy..
    I have compassion for you and really hope you can get your finances together to make a move for the better..
    Good luck with it hun
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Tell him that he's really a pathetic excuse for a father... and that he should be blaming you for all of his faults just because he's useless in most cases in life

First thing I'd do is move out, cancel him out your life. When he realises how much of a douche he was (or still is) let him know how it's too late.

I honestly don't think that is going to help your situation. Don't sink to his level trying to tear each other down. 1) it won't work, you cannot yell and cuss someone into changing...and 2) because then not only will you feel awful about what he said, you'll feel guilty and awful for what you said.

I agree on moving out...not so much on burning that bridge with him though. My grandfather was verbally abusive (in the same way, about her weight mostly) when my mother was young. I also remember him scaring the $*%& out of me and my cousins when we were kids. You didn't dare cross him. In his old age he has done a complete 180 and is a big teddy bear. We are extremely close and you can joke with him about almost anything. He and my mom have an amazing relationship now, and as he's been ill the past year or so, I am so grateful that that bond was not broken but has only strengthened over time.

People do and say stupid, hurtful things when they are unhappy with themselves. Get out and work on you, and let him work on his own issues.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't read all the comments, so I am editing out what i wrote (to go to college and move out)... looks like you are already in school.... can you go back to the college's office and ask if there are other options so you don't have to live with your family?
  • Astari22
    Astari22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Luckily I did not have any siblings but as I got older I fell into a parent role more than a child so I felt responsible for my mother through most of my teen years. That is a totally different story though. At the time I didn't deal with it very well and I either ate, got drunk, or participated in self injurious behaviors to make the pain stop. By the way I do not promote any of these as a healthy coping skill. One of the things I did as well was write. I wrote poems, most of them I can't find any longer and it is probably a good thing. Whether I planned on letting anyone read them or not, it did help at least get the mess of stuff in my head out so I could think properly. I am currently thirty years old and just now learning how to properly take care of myself. It took a very long time and a group of amazing friends to make me realize that I was worth actually caring about myself and what I do and put into my body. I think if I had known about all the resources out there for help when I was younger then it wouldn't have taken me nearly as long to become someone that has some self worth.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I agree with @aliann30.
    Focus STRICTLY on yourself and you'll be much happier. I know it's easier said than done but anything is possible. You can get through this. :smile: We're both the same age and at this time a lot of things seem hopeless but I've seen people get through much worse.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    By the time i reached 18, i weighed about 180lbs, and my parents were very unsupportive. Both of them are overweight themselves, which made the whole thing very hypocritical, and they weren't mean about it thankfully, but there attitude was very much, 'well, just go on a diet!' and made it sound like losing weight was easy if i wanted to do it, and i was clearly a failure if i couldn't. Problem was, i didn't know the first thing about nutrition; my parents never taught me, school never taught me, and in hindsight it's no wonder i was so large as my eating habits were atrocious! It didn't help living under my parents roof, having to eat the same meals as them; as i said, they were overweight and didn't seem to care about it, and still encouraged me to eat a huge portion of fish and chips for dinner, followed by ice-cream and chocolate for dessert.

It was once i left home and went to university that everything changed. Finally i had the power to eat what i wanted, when i wanted. Having to fend for myself meant that i finally learnt about nutrition, eating healthily, and good weight loss practice. I now weigh 118lbs and i've never been happier with my weight.

It is still a struggle going home to visit my parents, as now they take one look at me and decide i'm 'too skinny', (i'm not too skinny, they are just used to seeing me fat), and now feel it's there duty to fill me full of chocolate and deep fried, fatty food. If i go home for just a day then i'm happy to indulge, because not only do i love eating but it also shuts them up. However, staying there for more than one day really becomes a struggle.

I know that you think your situation is hopeless, but i promise you it's not. Have you thought about moving in with some friends? Or even some sort of job with residential benefits, such as live in cleaner somewhere? Plus, if you did move in with some friends, and declared yourself financially independent, then i'm pretty sure the government is obliged to help you out financially with your studies.

I'm afraid i don't have much else to add to what everyone else has suggested, i just wanted you to know that you're not alone, and yes it is a crappy situation, but don't let it get you down because you deserve better than that X
  • boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 33 and my mother still calls me fat. I'm not. According to some people who know me I apparently look borderline anorexic. So take my mother's comments for what they're worth...

I don't live at home and quite frankly I've told her to go f*** herself on more than one occasion. She's aware of exactly what she's doing - she's just not a nice person. It's a horrible thing to have to realise about one of your parents, but sometimes that's just the way things are :(

This is the crux.

You seem confident and assured, and you like your sister, but you don't have to like your parents.

The only thing that will make this easier is you hardening your heart and not giving a damm what your parents think of you.

If you choose to loose weight, then let it be on your terms. An argument needs two people to disagree, your Dad will soon stop if you just look at him, smile, and say, "that is your opinion, it is not mine, as I live under your roof I respect your right to have that opinion, but I choose not to agree with you, is that okay? May I please continue with the chores now"

Inside you can be screaming "go F yourself" but you have not let him continue in his belief that you need "shocking" into getting off your *kitten* and doing something about the weight that actually he blames himself for......

Good luck.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Its very difficult to live with critical , teasing , jealous (yes jealous) , parent or parents.
    You need to understand parents are human with human failings and have power over those offspring
    that live with them.
    Just try not to rise to the bait, keep on here , dieting and exercising, and try to step outside the
    situation with your mind looking upon both you and your father, stay unconnected in your mind from
    the abuse, see it from the outside and feel real calm :)
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Luckily I did not have any siblings but as I got older I fell into a parent role more than a child so I felt responsible for my mother through most of my teen years. That is a totally different story though. At the time I didn't deal with it very well and I either ate, got drunk, or participated in self injurious behaviors to make the pain stop. By the way I do not promote any of these as a healthy coping skill. One of the things I did as well was write. I wrote poems, most of them I can't find any longer and it is probably a good thing. Whether I planned on letting anyone read them or not, it did help at least get the mess of stuff in my head out so I could think properly. I am currently thirty years old and just now learning how to properly take care of myself. It took a very long time and a group of amazing friends to make me realize that I was worth actually caring about myself and what I do and put into my body. I think if I had known about all the resources out there for help when I was younger then it wouldn't have taken me nearly as long to become someone that has some self worth.

We have a lot in common. :flowerforyou: I had a very unhealthy relationship where the roles were reversed with one of my parents too. I also wrote a LOT of poetry and stories and journaled a lot from the time I was 12.

I also wanted to say about the siblings - while I didn't have verbal abuse, my home life was far from ideal and emotionally....exhausting. I left for college and my brother and sister (they were 14 and 16 respectively) had to deal with the mess at home. A lot went on and I got called on several occasions and dragged into issues that weren't my responsibility to fix, but I held a lot of that on my shoulders. I didn't want my siblings to have the same experiences I had growing up, and I was trying everything to prevent something that I couldn't control. I also exhaustively tried to "fix" my parent. It was very damaging emotionally and it wasn't long after that that I fell into a severe depression. So severe that I had to leave school and it put my life on hault.

You need to find a healthy balance between being there for your sister and allowing her to learn to defend herself and be strong for herself. While that may be hard, it's a vital coping skill she needs to obtain in order to become an independent, self-sufficient adult.

Anyway...didn't mean to hijack this thread. Like I said, I'm here to talk whenever you need it.
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been there and sorry to tell you it isn't going to change - you can't change other people only yourself. Don't engage and don't pity eat.

I was a miserable and overweight as a teenager, I got financially independent and moved the hell out of home at 17 and now live in a different country from my family. Yet when I visit I still get told I'm either too big and need to lose weight or I've lost too much weight and should stop. I'm 33!!!!

I just shrug it off, I have a great life and love food and am working on finding a balance on my own terms. I know what is best for me an guess what your parents don't always know better.

Believe in yourself - don't engage, stay focused on your goal to get the hell out and it will work out.

Good luck!!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Since you can't move out right now, I'd try to spend as much time away from the house as possible. Stay at the library, the gym, out walking about, visiting with friends, whatever. Just stay away from the house and all the nastiness. Try to switch from eating out of anger and sadness to doing something else--I go out for a long walk when I'm feeling like I need to escape something that's going on. It's healthier, and something about walking is really great for thinking and sorting things out in your head. Breaking that unhealthy relationship with food is really important, though.

I hope you will be able to move out very soon. Have you spoken with someone at your university to let them know the situation you're in? There might be something they could do to help (offer some sort of funds for housing, support groups, etc.). I've found schools to be really quite understanding and helpful with these sorts of issues.
  • dartaaa
    dartaaa Posts: 35
    Options
    I was only 150lbs when my stepdad still kept laughing at me, telling me I'm fat and god knows what else, it was an unhealthy environment, therefore I got a job, saved up some money and moved out at 17, which helped to break my bad habits in a blink of an eye. As my psychotherapist said - it's not healthy to be around disfunctional people all the time, who live by bringing others down. Because in truth your father is bringing you down and I hope he gets his karma for that. Keep going x If you need help, I'm here:)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    get financially independent, save your sushi money for rent.

Oh gosh. Sushi, once a week for 26 weeks is $260 >.<

Rent here for one month and a one bedroom is like, 1200

It's horrid.

look into renting a room in a house share, it works out a lot cheaper than renting a one bedroom flat. Save all the money you can. Not sure what your situation is, but if you're studying full time, see if you can get a job at the weekends (if you don't have one already) and look into renting student accommodation, if you're at uni there should be an office in uni to help students find accommodation. It works out a lot cheaper than renting your own flat.

If that's totally not possible right now, then I second what Lupercalia said. You don't have to spend time with people who have such a toxic influence on your life. Unfortunately some parents are like that, because they can't handle their own issues they take it out on their kids (or each other or whoever's around for them to take it out on) - please do your very best not to take any of this personally, try to see it as a weakness and problem in them, not in you. Try to minimise the influence they have over you.

Also, if they're talking to you and treating you like this, they're probably doing the same to your little sister... be a good big sister to her, be a shoulder to cry on and always be available to her if she needs support, even if you're minimising your time with the rest of your family, and even after you move out.
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Chances are, your father calls you names because he is unhappy with himself. It's the bully-mentality. It's not how he truly thinks of you, but of himself instead, and that's what makes him angry. If losing weight isn't what you want/can do atm (I know about uni stress/blind eating!) you should really just focus on being positive for yourself and your sister. Moving out doesnt seem to be an option, so I'd recommend just doing your best at school since that's what will help get you out of this situation eventually. If you're not exercising atm, I'd recommend picking up a workout routine (think boxing) that can help channel your stress/anger/etc. It doesn't have to be expensive or even extreme. When I was in highschool living at my parents place, I hung a rolled up sleeping bag (inside of it's case) in my closet and used that as a punching bag. At least you can beat on it when you're frustrated! haha. It worked for stress relief, and it's something I already had in the house! Not to mention I started to really feel the muscles in my back developing! haha. You've clearly found a whole community of supportive people here that wish the best for you and want to see you succeed. You should check in with us regularly and try not to think poorly of yourself or your parents. Even though they are in the wrong, it won't help your sanity to grow angry towards them.

-"Holding resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die." (Emma Timmons in Lark Rise to Candleford)
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    :explode: :mad: :explode: :angry: :mad: :angry: :angry: :explode: :mad:

SERIOUSLY?! WTF?!?

Let's play this out a sec.

If you are supposed to be responsible for someone else's weight - when you don't cook for them, raise them, educate them - then who is responsible for yours?

If you are 'fat' and on par with your dad, what does that make him? Him being a person who is supposed to be older, wiser, more experienced and financially self-supporting.

I think the time for niceties is well and truly over. This ABUSE needs to be addressed before it scars you for life, if it hasn't already. I can't and wouldn't tell you what to do as I just don't know you well enough to take that kind of liberty.

What I can do is tell you what I'd do if it was me.

Get myself to my doctor - (1) get it down on record, (2) get some support, (3) get some advice. Crying myself to sleep is not acceptable.

Speak to the Financial Aid people and tell them of the abuse and how I'm seeking medical help as a consequence. I don't know how it works in the US, but here (UK) this situation would have me treated as an independent adult and assessed based on my own income and outgoings.

Start looking for house/apartment shares, irrespective of the stage of the Financial Aid discussion.

You mentioned that you're scared of writing the letter and fearful of more arguments. That's completely fair but NO-ONE should be afraid of their parents.

For your own sanity, I would suggest you do give this a last push - verbally or in writing - but when you have a plan of how to follow it up ... whether it's verbal and you walk away without allowing comment, or you write it and just refuse to talk about it unless there's an apology due.

While I agree with the quote and sentiment behind "Holding resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die." ... I believe it's better to get angry then let this destroy your spirit. I was in a verbally abusive relationship where my soul was ripped out, my self-confidence flatlined and my self-worth was non-existent. I just wasn't strong enough to deal with it and make the change. I got to the point where I honestly believed that it was all true and was all I was worth. I was lucky to have good friends .... and in a short time I've seen MFP be a great source of instant support.

If the responses on this thread do nothing else, I hope they at least give you the solid believe that your situation is WRONG and it is not your fault. NO-ONE should have to go through this
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Go to your university financial aid office. Ask questions, and if you don't understand, ask them again. That's what those people are there for.... this is really important.

It is time to own your own life and your own happiness. You should be able to live in a dorm or live in a rented room, work part time, and go to school. Ask the school about your financial status, not your family.
  • NicoleOmorose
    Options
    Thank you all for everything.

I'm going to attempt to take some of the steps you've all mentioned. First thing's first, see if I can get financial aid and move out.

My parents have always been good, hardworking people, but I don't know why my father is constantly on edge and snapping at everything more than usual, and blaming me and my sister for things we have had no control over, growing up. It's never been at this point before, but I can see how it's been gradually increasing over the last few years to this exploding point.

I'm going to try. And I will keep the few of you who asked, updated.

Thank you all so much. You can't imagine what this means to me.