Would you date someone considerably more intelligent?

Options

Replies

• tina28m
    tina28m Posts: 19
    Options
    Yeah, why not? :D
  • nomesw84
    nomesw84 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    On paper I'm more intelligent than my OH but if I had to do his job for a day I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I actually do, but she's one of those people who are academically very, very intelligent, but not much common sense, where I prevail, so we level each other out.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Definitely and am, gotta admit tho it isn't that hard to be considerably more intelligent than me.

and don't forget Intelligence, its not how big it is, its how you use it. (I know some very Intelligent idiots)
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I am - it only makes me better myself!
  • lundii
    lundii Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Intelligence is sexy!

so... yes please!

but wait... could be hard to find someone with considerably more intelligence than I have... :wink:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Intelligence measured on what scale? By what objective standard?

Like all such comparisons, they usually end up being meaningless. I know a highly intelligent person who can solve equations with ease, but can't understand philosophy at all. I also know at least one individual for whom the reverse is true. Both groups of people are what would be considered extremely intelligent but each can carry out tasks that the other cannot. How do you weigh these two groups of people in terms of intelligence if they don't share a common skill set in which to demonstrate an objective level of intelligence for a 1 to 1 comparison.

And this is intelligence couched purely in terms of logical inquiry. What about broadening it out to include other stuff like emotional/social intelligence, artistic intelligence? Can you weigh a Picasso against a Alan Turing, for example? What about a person who can work a room, versus someone who's a whizz with back-office accounts software but can't even perform basic meet-and-greet in a social setting?

The mistake made here is to assume that intelligence is something monolithic and simplistic. In fact, like most human concepts, it is fractured, complex and multi-faceted.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am - and have been for over 8 years ... Don't quite know how my OH puts up with me, it must be my beautiful eyes.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Intelligence measured on what scale? By what objective standard?

Like all such comparisons, they usually end up being meaningless. I know a highly intelligent person who can solve equations with ease, but can't understand philosophy at all. I also know at least one individual for whom the reverse is true. Both groups of people are what would be considered extremely intelligent but each can carry out tasks that the other cannot. How do you weigh these two groups of people in terms of intelligence if they don't share a common skill set in which to demonstrate an objective level of intelligence for a 1 to 1 comparison.

And this is intelligence couched purely in terms of logical inquiry. What about broadening it out to include other stuff like emotional/social intelligence, artistic intelligence? Can you weigh a Picasso against a Alan Turing, for example? What about a person who can work a room, versus someone who's a whizz with back-office accounts software but can't even perform basic meet-and-greet in a social setting?

The mistake made here is to assume that intelligence is something monolithic and simplistic. In fact, like most human concepts, it is fractured, complex and multi-faceted.

what he said, example follows...Quantum physics yes, Social skills no (But we love him)
    SheldonNo_zpsf1f25c15.gif
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd love to, but other than my ex-husband who was on a par with me I always end up with the thickies. I even got dumped once for using long words. True story.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I'd love to, but other than my ex-husband who was on a par with me I always end up with the thickies. I even got dumped once for using long words. True story.

I just get passed over in the dating stakes for using long words... Sesquipedalian revelry apparently renders me unappealing. :wink: Provided 'considerably more intelligent' comes along with decent social and interpersonal skills, then I see no reason not to date a person of that ilk.
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    In a heart beat!:love:
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I always have done ( except once it was not pretty!)
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    In the running for The Necromancer of the month award
  • IwearBatmanUndies
    Options
    I've got the degree and he hasn't, but I always see him as my equal.

We're definitely both intelligent people, but in different subjects/areas. However, we also have that common ground where we can have an intellectual discussion about something for hours on end.

And I love it!

Yes if we can agree that you can purchase an education, but intellect is fostered since birth.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Spin off of the other thread , interested in people's thoughts.
    I never had this problem. If they were really that intelligent, they wouldn't date me.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    WTF!

Is this thing still going?!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Probably not.

Women are more attracted to intelligent men than men are to intelligent women.

Think about this-Men with advanced degrees usually are more appealing to women than women with advanced degrees are to men.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Probably not.

Think about this-Men with advanced degrees usually are more appealing to women than women with advanced degrees are to men.

ha ha ha....

no wait...

ha ha...

give me a sec...

mmphfff....

no sorry. Can't. Keep. It. Together.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Probably not.

things-that-blew-your-mind-when-you-were-a-kid-1-30991-1346448555-3_big_zpsf1f52df6.jpg