How do I make my thighs slimmer?

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Building lean muscle, yes it weighs more btw, has a slimming effect on the body.
    If body fat is low already and you are nearing the "underweight" category, maintain for a short while at TDEE then bump cals up to gain lean muscle.
    Trust me when I say this, Lean Muscle will always look better than skinny-fat!

Squats or Russian step ups
    Deadlifts
    Bench press

Or

Bodyweight squats
    Pushups
    Handstand pushups
    Chin ups
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    OH and PS!
    Fat storage in the hips and thighs is a sign of proper hormones!
  • Gunr2147
    Gunr2147 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Building lean muscle, yes it weighs more btw, has a slimming effect on the body.
    If body fat is low already and you are nearing the "underweight" category, maintain for a short while at TDEE then bump cals up to gain lean muscle.
    Trust me when I say this, Lean Muscle will always look better than skinny-fat!

Squats or Russian step ups
    Deadlifts
    Bench press

Or

Bodyweight squats
    Pushups
    Handstand pushups
    Chin ups

This.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi there!:)

I've always had pretty big thighs, though I'm not overweight. I'm 5'5 and 110 lbs, but my thighs are 22 inches! I'm on a vegan diet (not to lose weight, but to be healthy), but I can't really exercise due to some health problems. I don't know what to do.
    Is there any exercises that aren't too strenuous, but can help tone my thighs?

Thanks!

you're 5ft5 and according to your ticker you want to weigh 80lbs?
  • JULIEdance
    JULIEdance Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For me combination of mostly dancing, walking/running and STRETCHING works pretty well. Stretching is helps building lean and long shape of muscles and also helps to tone up. I awoid doing too much weights since I don´t want any bulky muscles, but I suppose some will disagree in this point, I´ve seen conflicting opinions on this before, so I don´t know. Anyway, my thighs got thinner.

I eat vegetarian diet.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lifting weights won't necessarily make you bulky.

I wouldn't avoid it at all cost- but doing dancer things does have that "long lean" effect- although technically much like toning- long lean muscles aren't a thing either- muscle is just muscle LOL
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    With the running and cycling, try throwing in some squats, lunges, and fire hydrants (love those). Anything that works the legs!

This. Running helped slim me down, but the squats are making all the difference with my historically large thighs.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Dressing to Make Thighs Look Slimmer

Step 1

Put on a pair of dark-colored, solid or pin-stripped pants with flared legs.

advertisement

Sponsored Links

Calculate Your Actual Age Take the RealAge Test and find out the actual age of your body. Sharecare.com/RealAge-Test

Step 2

Choose a pair of matching high-heels or pumps.

Step 3

Insert shoulder pads into your jacket or dark colored top, or use the pads that attach to your bra straps.

Using Self-Tanner to Create the Thin-Thigh Illusion

Step 1

Scrub your legs with an exfoliating body wash.

Step 2

Shave your legs.

Step 3

Apply self-tanner to your legs. Allow the tanner to dry.

Step 4

Apply a darker shade of tanner or a bronzer to your inner and outer thighs to create a chiseled illusion. Then, apply shimmer to your shin bones. Harper's Bazaar beauty experts suggest that the shimmer reflects light and makes your legs appear slimmer.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/175856-how-to-make-thighs-look-slimmer/#ixzz2TvvsWs9y
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Walking lunges: Keeping your back straight and hands on your hips, take a step forward with your left foot while bending your left knee until the knee is just over the ankle. Your thigh should be parallel to the floor. Keep your abs pulled in tight. Your right (back) leg should be slightly bent but not touching the ground. See the photo. Now pull your right leg forward until back in an upright position. Repeat with your right leg. Keep alternating moving forward doing as many as you can. Take it easy, going slowly to make sure to keep your posture in check. Keep a mental note of how many you were able to do the first time.

Squats: With your back straight and arms outstretched in front of you, feet hip-width apart, toes facing straight ahead or angled slightly outward, slowly bend the knees and lower hips towards the floor, keeping your torso straight and abs pulled in tight. Lower yourself until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Do as many as you can, going slowly and keeping your posture in check. Keep a mental note of how many you did.

Sponsored Links
    Instant Thigh Lift Tape
    Clear Tape Gets Rid of Cellulite & Sagging Skin Wear Under Shorts
    www.instantlifts.com

Repeat these two exercises three times a week increasing your "record amount" each time.

Keep doing this and I promise, you will see results. These are the two best leg exercises you can do to get your lower body in shape quickly.

Add bike riding to your routine. You don't have to buy an expensive bike to get the benefits. Walmart has bikes for less than $100.00. Pedaling a bike works your thigh muscles quickly. Plan on riding your bike several days out of the week. Start out going short distances and work your way up to longer treks.

Read more: How to Tone Your Thighs FAST | eHow http://www.ehow.com/how_4498653_tone-thighs-fast.html#ixzz2TvwMO5TH
  • likitisplit
    Options
    lifting weights won't necessarily make you bulky.

I wouldn't avoid it at all cost- but doing dancer things does have that "long lean" effect- although technically much like toning- long lean muscles aren't a thing either- muscle is just muscle LOL

In my experience, long, lean muscles are genetic. I have them and all that lifting does for me (besides making me strong) is make my muscles leaner and harder. I don't ever pop a bicep.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    For me combination of mostly dancing, walking/running and STRETCHING works pretty well. Stretching is helps building lean and long shape of muscles and also helps to tone up. I awoid doing too much weights since I don´t want any bulky muscles, but I suppose some will disagree in this point, I´ve seen conflicting opinions on this before, so I don´t know. Anyway, my thighs got thinner.

I eat vegetarian diet.

funny_animated_gif_97.gif
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Long distance running/walking while eating at a deficit. Have you ever seen a marathon athlete with big legs?

Edit: I think I got this from here: http://www.outlawfitnesshq.com/how-to-lose-muscle-in-your-legs/
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    There is NO specific exercise that you can do to make your legs smaller. You need a calorie deficit and genetics on your side, but I agree 22" is not big.

agreed.
  • chloeobe
    chloeobe Posts: 72
    Options
    Im 5'3 and 108 pounds, and have thighs like a sumo wrestler...such a pain.

The PT at my gym gave me the following programme (as part as an all over programme) for legs and ive noticed a big difference already..even got a pretty good gap now!!

Warm Up: Stepper/Bike – 10mins – Level 12+ or level 2 fast on the bike

Cardio: Treadmill Speed Intervals – 20mins (running as fast as you can for 1 and walking 1)
    or : 5km at the fastes pace you can manage.

Lower Body: 3 * sets of 20
    Leg Extensions, Hamstring Curls (weight depending on ability)
    Dumbbell 2 x 4Kg: Lunges (Forward & Back), Side Lunges, Wide Squats, Close Squats, Sumo Squats, Side Leg Raises
    Raised Bridge – 50 x Calf Raise

Core: 3 * 20
    Weight 5Kg: Russian Twists, Standing Oblique Twists
    1 minute plank, 30 second side plank, 1 minute T Extensions,
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Spinning will help tone them like crazy!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    22 inches isn't big for a girl your height. It's pretty average. You might want to consider doing squats, lunges, and step ups with weights. They probably won't shrink your thighs but it will help make them firm and less flabby, which is generally what people really want in the end.
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Run!!!! My legs were 23 inches and now they are 18 ; ( and I hate them!!!!! I want big muscly legs!!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Oh no, people are talking about thigh gaps in a positive way again.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Long distance running/walking while eating at a deficit. Have you ever seen a marathon athlete with big legs?

Edit: I think I got this from here: http://www.outlawfitnesshq.com/how-to-lose-muscle-in-your-legs/

The reason why most marathon athletes don't have big legs is because they are genetically predisposed to have endurance muscles. The ones with a lot of power muscles struggle with their weight.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    FWIW the only exercise I do is lifting (and heavy, none of this "just the bar" squats bs) and my legs are 18.75"