FitBit..... is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    After reading this, I've decided I'm going to buy one, although I'm debating over a zip or the one. The one is obviously the best but not sure if I can justify £80!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    After reading this, I've decided I'm going to buy one, although I'm debating over a zip or the one. The one is obviously the best but not sure if I can justify £80!

I love the silent alarm feature, to me it was worth the extra for that. Being able to wake up early without shocking alarm bleeps is much nicer. I also like the altimeter feature as it does encourage me to take the stairs more often.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have the One. I love that I can see my numbers (the flex is just dots until you look at it online to see the stats). I have it connected to mFP so it will add (or take away) calories based on how much I walk. I have been eating what it says and I am losing consistently (5lbs this past month). My tDEE estimate was very close to what fitbit is saying. I suggest to everyone!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I reviewed the Ultra here http://weightwars.co.uk/2012/11/review-fitbit-ultra/ and I have a one now and I love it loads. Motivates me to move more.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Looking at buying a Fitbit, so the most basic question to anyone who has one is was it worth the money?

The next question is which one would you buy?

From poking around online, the FitBit Flex looks really good, but I'd love to hear from real uses their thoughts.

Thanks!

fitbit is great for tracking running, walking, daily movement like vacuuming etc, which is great. I like it for running, but If you to a bunch of exercise, say aerobics etc or cycling, rowing, anything else really it doesn't track that and you would need a hrm to track that.

I love my fitbit, I have the fitbit one, you can time your workouts, time your sleep and it tells you how much and what quality sleep you had, this is very handy as may wake after 6 hours and then check the timer, see i at 6 and sleep another 2. it helps a lot.

it has a cool flower symbol which demonstrates how close to your exercise goal you are, shows distance, calories and the current time. if you have an iphone 4s or five it will sync directly to your phone.

so its a great little device, I just think that they should add HRM features to it somehow so its the ultimate for all exercise types.

if you are just a runner or only want to track your runs, PERFECT. if you were thinking it will track other exercises, nope not really.

if you want simplicity and style over functionality and information, then the flex is an option. as far as I know it just displays how much exercise you have done through the little leds on it. i think thats crap.

fitbit one for the win.
  • crazypeachs
    crazypeachs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i just posted all kinds of great info, and lost it. :( i'll do my best to re-create it.

i bought the zip a couple months ago and LOVE it. i couldn't justify the cost difference on our budget, but now we're wanting to get one for my husband, too.

it's very motivating. sometimes when i don't feel like walking, i actually tell myself, "if you don't walk, your fitbit won't smile", or "if i walk i'll be happier tonight when i sync"

it doesn't sync to my phone, so i sync it once a day, usually at night. it doesn't bother me to do it that way, i have it linked to a couple other websites also, so i prefer that they get the full day's total. also, i have a laptop that i don't leave on all the time, so i just sync before i go to bed. it's no big deal. it holds the detailed (hourly) info for 7 days, daily totals for 30 days, so you don't have to sync everyday if you don't want to.

i went from a very sedentary lifestyle to walking for fitness at least one mile a day. my daily activities are usually about a mile, sometimes 1.5, but it helps me keep track of the days i was more active and helps motivate me to be more active. also, it helps me put myself in the proper mind-set for eating properly (do i want to eat that? will it just waste my efforts from earlier? is it WORTH it?)

i think it was a very wise investment, and i would totally get another. the battery is supposed to last about 6 months, and the fitbit website (dashboard) shows a battery meter when you sync it, so when it starts getting low you can make the necessary plans to get another battery...and if you change the battery quickly, it doesn't lose the data it's stored. i'm very happy with mine. never gone without it once.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Wow the input is fantastic, thank you so much everyone!:bigsmile:

I've got a small problem, I have an iPhone 4, not the 4S just a plain old 4 and I understand that the phone will not sync with the old iPhone 4 :grumble:
    I'm waiting for the new iPhone 5S or what ever they are going to call it to come out. If I got the FitBit I could still use it, but being able to sync with the app on the iPhone looks really nice.

I guess they provide a dongle that will allow the FitBit to sync with any computer that has that dongle plugged into it. Does it have to be that dongle to sync? I run mostly Mac computers, and they are BlueTooth equipped, but I wonder if the FitBit will sync only with the Dongle....? Does anyone have a Mac computer that has built in BlueTooth that the FitBit will sync without using the Dongle?

Thanks
  • Monkeybutt74
    Monkeybutt74 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Fitbit One. It syncs with this site, Walgreens (balance rewards), Redbrick Health, and I'm sure many others. The only thing it doesn't do is sync with my phone. But it does sync with my iPod so all is good there.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    Just got a fitbit one yesterday and set it up this morning! Loving it so far, but need to stop checking it every 5 minutes...Lol.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I just got the zip last week. So far, I'm quite happy with it. I did my research and decided the Flex was not useful to me due to the lack of display. My iphone is too "old" and so I can't sync it thorughout the day. You can download a program to sync it to the computer, but I can't do that at work so it doesn't work for me. With the zip, I can see my progress on the screen. It doesn't count floors or monitor my sleep but I'm not interested in either.

I also researched the different wristband options when I was thinking of getting a Flex. Every review I read consistently said that the Flex was the best option (over the Nike or Jawbone ones). If I had a compatible phone I would have stuck with the Fitbit brand.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I had a classic FitBit, which I killed with sweat, and then I had an Ultra. I just got my Flex yesterday. So far, I love the Flex. It has been very accurate so far, and I love that I don't have to take it off. It syncs flawlessly with my phone. The silent alarm was enough to wake me this morning too.

I think FitBits are great for getting you to move more in your "regular" life - taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking the long way around, etc. They don't really track "exercise" sessions, per se (except for walking/running), but I wear a HRM for that. All in all, it's a fun gadget that does help me reach my fitness goals.
  • Shrynkabelle
    Shrynkabelle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was given the FitBit One as a gift in March! Didn't have a clue what it was, but I can honestly say that it's totally changed my thinking and really has made me move so much more. It syncs seamlessly with MFP and I also use it to keep an eye on my TDEE. I don't have to log any activity - I wear it every day - and there is a very motivational competitive element with the FitBit site's leaderboards. I love that it automatically syncs whenever I'm near my laptop and I've also found myself dancing around the kitchen or going for a walk just to hit the 10,000 steps per day.

I've used regular pedometers in the past, but this is so much better. There's so much more to it, as it tracks very active minutes, sleep etc., and you get lots of graphs and data about your activity.

Highly recommended
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Wow the input is fantastic, thank you so much everyone!:bigsmile:

I've got a small problem, I have an iPhone 4, not the 4S just a plain old 4 and I understand that the phone will not sync with the old iPhone 4 :grumble:
    I'm waiting for the new iPhone 5S or what ever they are going to call it to come out. If I got the FitBit I could still use it, but being able to sync with the app on the iPhone looks really nice.

I guess they provide a dongle that will allow the FitBit to sync with any computer that has that dongle plugged into it. Does it have to be that dongle to sync? I run mostly Mac computers, and they are BlueTooth equipped, but I wonder if the FitBit will sync only with the Dongle....? Does anyone have a Mac computer that has built in BlueTooth that the FitBit will sync without using the Dongle?

Thanks
    I have an iPhone 3GS! There is software available for the dongle to run on a Mac. Bluetooth isn't enough. It also needs an Intel based Mac and OS X 10.5 or higher. The Mac download page is here: http://www.fitbit.com/uk/setup?platform=mac You could ensure it loads before purchase. I love my FitBit. Love it. She's called FiFi.
  • shoeprano27WECHANGED
    Options
    my fitbit flex came in about a month ago. i love it. it tracks EVERYTHING i do. it silently wakes me up from my sleep. it beautifully syncs with MFP amongst other programs/apps. i bought it for $99 on their website, but it is now backordered, saying itll ship from 6-8 weeks. ive seen people on craigslist and ebay selling a fitbit flex for up to $250. thats ridiculous.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the Fitbit.

I have used a Bodymedia fit and a number of other devices but like Fitbit better. It seems to be pretty spot on when linked to MFP as far as my TDEE.

I think the one variable that is the hardest thing to get right is calories burned from basic daily activity. Giving I have a desk job and a long commute it was hard to know if what my daily activity calories were. I found that when I first started using my fitbit I was lucky to get to 5000 steps in a day which explained why I lost weight slowly using intake calories from various website calculators. I was moving so much less than normal that most places over estimated my TDEE. However, the Fitbit nailed it on the head.

Most places said I could eat 2500 calories per day an lose weight, with the Fitbit I found out that on a typical day I was burning between 2300 and 2800, so eating 2500 calories was pretty much maintenance for me. So I droped down to about 1800 and been losing steadily since.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit zip and love it. I originally was going to get the One, but my hubby surprised me with the zip (he didn't know which one I wanted and got the zip because it was pink :love: ).

I do have the iPhone 4S, but find that I don't actually sync it using my phone all that often. Although this could just be because I don't get out of the house much. :blushing:

I have my Fitbit account synced to MFP and have negative adjustments turned on. This really challenges me to be more active if I want to have 3 decent meals. I say this because on inactive days, Fitbit starts taking away my calories. It's almost like its saying, "You want to be lazy, fine, no food for you.":laugh:

It seems to be an easier way to get a better estimate of your TDEE. I still use a HRM for my cardio workouts (other than walking). Pairing the two devices, for me seems like an excellent way to go. I think once I reach my goal, I will continue to use my fitbit to make sure I don't get lazy again. It really is a great motivator for me.

No one can tell that I have it on. Although that doesn't stop me from telling people about it.

My husband is looking to get one for himself now. :tongue:
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I got the fitbit zip a few weeks ago and I love it! It fits anywhere and I don't need to recharge it :)

I got the Zip a few weeks ago too! I love that little thing. It definitely motivates me when I see it sticking its tongue out at me! Lolz. I want his big smile showing all day. :)
  • unicornlady77
    Options
    Looking at buying a Fitbit, so the most basic question to anyone who has one is was it worth the money?

The next question is which one would you buy?

From poking around online, the FitBit Flex looks really good, but I'd love to hear from real uses their thoughts.

Thanks!
    I had a Flex for a while,I liked it but took it back because it doesn't count steps when pushing a stroller so I got a Fitbit Zip.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    See the number in the box below vvvvvvvvvv ... That's because of my fitbit One. Is it worth it? I'd say yes :)
  • msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit, I have had the zip for a little less than a week and I feel it has really helped me. My activity level is extremely variable due to my job, on a slow day I may be sedentary and spend most of the shift reading/ surfing the internet. While on a busy day I may spend the entire 8-16 hours on the go. it really helps me make sure I am not accidentally "starving" or undereating by giving me a good TDEE to work with from day to day. I think before the fitbit, I was probably under eating because I didn't know which activity level to choose or how to adjust it for busy/slow days (or Mondays after a 48hr weekend where I have permission to be a vegetable!!)

One thing I wish I had known is that my local Walmart and BestBuy carry the One and the Zip while BestBuy carries the Flex as well. I could have saved myself the expedited shipping charges and gotten it same day.