Coffee vs. water

Options
2»

Replies

• Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    This is true, coffee makers want you to think they run hot water through ground coffee beans, when its actually just a puree of coffee beans grounds to a fine paste, with no water content at all.

xD
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Some "experts" claim that caffeinated products actually cause dehydration. The diet I'm on specifies for any caffeinated beverage you drink, you should add twice that amount in additional water to your daily intake.

It's not a claim, it's a fact. Caffeine is a scientifically proven diuretic and it will most certainly dehydrate you if that is the only liquid you drink.

My rule, two glasses of water before one cup of coffee.

Wrong.
    If I drink 4 cups of coffee during one day and 4 cups of water the next, I do not urinate out 32 oz more the day I had coffee.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Some "experts" claim that caffeinated products actually cause dehydration. The diet I'm on specifies for any caffeinated beverage you drink, you should add twice that amount in additional water to your daily intake.

It's not a claim, it's a fact. Caffeine is a scientifically proven diuretic and it will most certainly dehydrate you if that is the only liquid you drink.

My rule, two glasses of water before one cup of coffee.

Does the diuretic effect of the coffee make your body expel more water than the water in said coffee?

I get most of my water from tea, coffee, coke zero and food. Only the food is decaffeinated!

Just in case you're wondering, I haven't died of dehydration yet!

^this.

There is a guy in my office who would be jerky as he used to drink NOTHING but Coke. For years. And yet he lives to tell the tale...
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I don't, but then again i also drink the HIGH OCTANE coffee... Why drink coffee if not for the caffeine in my opinion. But I also drink about 4L of water a day on top of that..

I think that's the basis of my question - I drink decaf 99.9% of the time, only drink caffeinated if there's not an alternative. No sugar, skim milk added (which I measure and count on my daily totals). I know that CAFFEINATED coffee is a diuretic but don't know whether the same effect is true of decaf.

EDIT: Found this on Wikipedia: "Contrary to popular belief, caffeine does not act as a diuretic when consumed in moderation (less than five cups a day or 500 to 600 milligrams), and does not lead to dehydration or to a water-electrolyte imbalance; current evidence suggests that caffeinated beverages contribute to the body's daily fluid requirements no differently from pure water.[43][44][45][46]"

So, I guess it's about quantity. And I am certainly under the five cups a day limit.

One thing's for sure, MFP has made me acutely aware of my lack of water consumption.

The only problem with that is that 5 cups is 40 oz, many people get a 20oz in the morning and that will put you at 300+mg right there and some will have more pop/coffee later in the day. I think it all depends on the person as well, I drink a single cup of coffee in the morning and I'm peeing like a russian race horse shortly after.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When I saw the nutritionist/dietition she told me that coffee does not count because even decaf has small amounts of caffeine and caffeine actually dehydrates you. She did say that herbal teas so with no milk or sugar could count as water (not green tea though as it has caffeine).

Hope this helps
  • krhodem
    krhodem Posts: 17
    Options
    I agree with kmash32...Nutritionist don't classify it as water because of the caffeine in it even the decaf.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I don't, but then again i also drink the HIGH OCTANE coffee... Why drink coffee if not for the caffeine in my opinion. But I also drink about 4L of water a day on top of that..

I think that's the basis of my question - I drink decaf 99.9% of the time, only drink caffeinated if there's not an alternative. No sugar, skim milk added (which I measure and count on my daily totals). I know that CAFFEINATED coffee is a diuretic but don't know whether the same effect is true of decaf.

EDIT: Found this on Wikipedia: "Contrary to popular belief, caffeine does not act as a diuretic when consumed in moderation (less than five cups a day or 500 to 600 milligrams), and does not lead to dehydration or to a water-electrolyte imbalance; current evidence suggests that caffeinated beverages contribute to the body's daily fluid requirements no differently from pure water.[43][44][45][46]"

So, I guess it's about quantity. And I am certainly under the five cups a day limit.

One thing's for sure, MFP has made me acutely aware of my lack of water consumption.

The only problem with that is that 5 cups is 40 oz, many people get a 20oz in the morning and that will put you at 300+mg right there and some will have more pop/coffee later in the day. I think it all depends on the person as well, I drink a single cup of coffee in the morning and I'm peeing like a russian race horse shortly after.

I bet if you drank a glass of water instead, you'd still pee just the same. Caffeine is not a diuretic in moderate amounts. If you drink more than 40 oz of coffee in the am, well then you are well on your way to your liquid goal for the day so I wouldn't even worry about a mild diuretic effect at that level.

Personally, I don't get this fixation some people have with having to drink 8 cups of nothing but pure water. It's a guideline, not a golden rule. Drink when thirsty, and if your pee isn't bright yellow, you're properly hydrated. It's not rocket science.

Now, time for more coffee.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I personally only count water as water, but I also don't drink 8 cups of water plus whatever other liquids I consume.

I maintain a healthy level of hydration (based on indicators such as color of urine, etc.) that includes straight water and water from other sources. It works for me.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

I bet if you drank a glass of water instead, you'd still pee just the same. Caffeine is not a diuretic in moderate amounts. If you drink more than 40 oz of coffee in the am, well then you are well on your way to your liquid goal for the day so I wouldn't even worry about a mild diuretic effect at that level.

Personally, I don't get this fixation some people have with having to drink 8 cups of nothing but pure water. It's a guideline, not a golden rule. Drink when thirsty, and if your pee isn't bright yellow, you're properly hydrated. It's not rocket science.

Now, time for more coffee.

No, a cup of water doesn't have the same effect at all.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I put water in my coffee maker, it comes out coffee flavored. The water is still there. It counts as water.
  • ChickEata
    ChickEata Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Found this link in my search to decided my take on the subject. I'm an avid coffee drinker...but I am also an equally enthusiastic water drinker...However, this article definitely gave me a new perspective.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Howdy, all -

Rebooting after three weeks of hedonism in the Grand Canyon. Fortunately I only gained a pound out of the deal, so I'm not too far behind.

Question - do you guys count coffee into your water total? I drink decaf and have a hard time choking down enough water in the day. I've never been a water drinker. I have a SodaStream and make a lot of club soda, which helps a lot with my water total. Counting the coffee would be good, too, if it's fair game.

TIA.

I think if it is decaf you are okay to count it as part of your water totals. When I drink decaf tea I always count it. But if it is caffeinated then NO WAY! In fact, if you drink caffeinated coffee or tea you should add an additional 8 oz of water for every 8 oz of caffeinated beverage you drink.

Tina
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12853-truly-committed-boot-camp
  • barefootsoul91
    Options
    i dont count my coffe, only bc i add things to it like hazelnut (calorie free mm) and some creamer. I do count my tea tho since i don't add anything to it. maybe some lemon but that's it.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't count coffee, considering it's dehydrating whereas water is a diuretic. They're in two totally different classes.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Howdy, all -

Rebooting after three weeks of hedonism in the Grand Canyon. Fortunately I only gained a pound out of the deal, so I'm not too far behind.

Question - do you guys count coffee into your water total? I drink decaf and have a hard time choking down enough water in the day. I've never been a water drinker. I have a SodaStream and make a lot of club soda, which helps a lot with my water total. Counting the coffee would be good, too, if it's fair game.

TIA.

I log my coffee... its not that much, plus I drink it black. I used to log my gallon of water a day, but that was pointless..i just carry my gallon around with me and make sure its gone by the end of the night.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    According to my urologist, when counting fluid consumption, *all* liquids count, including those in food. So, if it counts for healthy kidney function, I consider it safe to count as water.

Clearly everyone has differing opinions, but if my kidney doc says everything counts, I trust that it does. Water, soda, coffee, soup, etc. It's all liquid and your body gets the water it needs out of it.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I don't count coffee, considering it's dehydrating whereas water is a diuretic. They're in two totally different classes.

You contradict yourself.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    if you drank a cup of water to wash down a handful of coffee beans (or, let's say, chocolate, which has caffeine), would you count that drink as water? i'm guessing you would. running the water through the beans (or tea leaves) doesn't change the fact that brewed coffee and teas are 99% water after its brewed.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    According to my urologist, when counting fluid consumption, *all* liquids count, including those in food. So, if it counts for healthy kidney function, I consider it safe to count as water.

Clearly everyone has differing opinions, but if my kidney doc says everything counts, I trust that it does. Water, soda, coffee, soup, etc. It's all liquid and your body gets the water it needs out of it.

I think that is the general consensus of the medical community.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I count liquids as water. If a liquid has calories I track it as well so my coffee is tracked because it does have a small amount of calories and I add anything that goes into it like creamer or sweetener, but I do count it as water.