Terrified of the gym

1235»

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    I know it sounds mental, but to me exercising at the gym is a bit like taking a shower or using the toilet in a room full of strnagers. I feel so embarrassed, uncomfortable, vain, stupid, a failure... you name it - any negative emotion.

... Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe we could buddy up and do this horrible thing together?

Esme.

Hi Esme

I felt exactly this way at the swimming pool.

Basically, I was bullied and ridiculed by fellow students and teachers because I was fat and couldn't swim so I never learned to swim at achool and for years even the smell of chlorine would cause flash-backs and the panic kept me from learining to swim for years.

Then, in my 20's, I toook myself to a quiet swim pool and worked out the swim strokes roughly, enough to feel more confident and without anyone telling me I was doing it wrong. I felt a bit better, but still the smell of chlorine, the changing procedures and the fact that without my prescription glasses I was unsure where the clocks were, the correct lane to use for slow swimmers and so on. So there have been many times I simply didn't go.

This year has been the break-through. I booked some sessions with a swim coach and got the basics right and all of a sudden I was swimming far more confidently, smoothly and actually enjoying the experience. Sadly, my coach had to move on but we were able to gett he basics worked out enough for me to smash through my fears and enjoy swimming regularly.

My story is - you can do it. For me, it was making the committment to meet with my coach and learn the basics enough to gain confidence in what I was doing. Maybe you could make appointents to meet with a gym instructor to learn the basics so you are far more confident when working out alone?

I wish you all the best and you can work through this into a far better way of feeling and being.

All love, Carl05
  • esme1983
    esme1983 Posts: 60
    Wow - I've just read through all of these comments and I'm overwhelmed by the support. I went to the gym for the first time this morning (after a huge coffee) and it wasn't too bad! It's a new gym so everyone is new and looks a buit lost. I only went on the treadmill (in the furthest away corner!) but ran 3k and watched what was happening around me. I did get looked at (but I think becuase I have massive breasts which enjoy taking on a life of their won no mater what sports bra I wear.

I'm going to run there each day this week and scope out what's happening then hopefully book a PT session with the one I decide looks the least scary :)

Thanks so so much to everyone. I wil lsave this thread and read it when I am next scared. I have along way to go but I think I can do it. Also just came home and my partner gave me a big hug and said he was proud of me :)
  • djvsfood
    djvsfood Posts: 32
    i think everyone goes through that " i think everyones looking at me" but understanding that people go to the gym to get in better shape or to get in shape really should be a motivation.
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Wow - I've just read through all of these comments and I'm overwhelmed by the support. I went to the gym for the first time this morning (after a huge coffee) and it wasn't too bad! It's a new gym so everyone is new and looks a buit lost. I only went on the treadmill (in the furthest away corner!) but ran 3k and watched what was happening around me. I did get looked at (but I think becuase I have massive breasts which enjoy taking on a life of their won no mater what sports bra I wear.

I'm going to run there each day this week and scope out what's happening then hopefully book a PT session with the one I decide looks the least scary :)

Thanks so so much to everyone. I wil lsave this thread and read it when I am next scared. I have along way to go but I think I can do it. Also just came home and my partner gave me a big hug and said he was proud of me :)

YAY!!!!!! Good for you! :-)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    I know it sounds mental, but to me exercising at the gym is a bit like taking a shower or using the toilet in a room full of strnagers. I feel so embarrassed, uncomfortable, vain, stupid, a failure... you name it - any negative emotion.

... Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe we could buddy up and do this horrible thing together?

Esme.

Hi Esme

I felt exactly this way at the swimming pool.

Basically, I was bullied and ridiculed by fellow students and teachers because I was fat and couldn't swim so I never learned to swim at achool and for years even the smell of chlorine would cause flash-backs and the panic kept me from learining to swim for years.

Then, in my 20's, I toook myself to a quiet swim pool and worked out the swim strokes roughly, enough to feel more confident and without anyone telling me I was doing it wrong. I felt a bit better, but still the smell of chlorine, the changing procedures and the fact that without my prescription glasses I was unsure where the clocks were, the correct lane to use for slow swimmers and so on. So there have been many times I simply didn't go.

This year has been the break-through. I booked some sessions with a swim coach and got the basics right and all of a sudden I was swimming far more confidently, smoothly and actually enjoying the experience. Sadly, my coach had to move on but we were able to gett he basics worked out enough for me to smash through my fears and enjoy swimming regularly.

My story is - you can do it. For me, it was making the committment to meet with my coach and learn the basics enough to gain confidence in what I was doing. Maybe you could make appointents to meet with a gym instructor to learn the basics so you are far more confident when working out alone?

I wish you all the best and you can work through this into a far better way of feeling and being.

All love, Carl05

This is inspirational! When I was in primary school I went to swimming lessons - the sort you learn in a tem. 7 terms later - still not able to swim. I hate water splashing my face and feel claustrophobic if I go under, not helped by a sadistic school teacher thinking it would really help our confidence to make a "daisy chain" (hold hands across the pool width) and make us duck under the water to go under each other's hands. Back and forth. 30 kids to duck under. And when you're 10 you don't argue with a teacher - not that one anyway! And I too wear glasses so couldn't see anything.

Maybe I should try to overcome my fears and find someone to teach me. But I still can't see where I'm going and still hate water over my head. And the smell of chlorine:ohwell:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I know exactly what you mean.

the gym is full of skinny women trying to get "toned" with faces full of makeup and tank tops with skin tights....i dont know about you but i look horrid while working out and actually sweat and dont wear makeup...

Oh thats such a stereotype. Are 'skinny' women not allowed to exercise too? Are only overweight people supposed to use the gym? And maybe they have come straight from work where they had to wear make up? Way to judge.....

I don't think a full gym membership is needed just get some weights or go for a walk also make up wipes are cheap just saying it really puts you down when your the biggest girl there

Well keep using MFP and the gym then you won't be the biggest girl there anymore :wink: :flowerforyou:

maybe those skinny women used to be overweight, which is why they're doing exercise!!!
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Just do it!

The gym I go to, I'm the only girl. Everyone else is a serious business weightlifter. I will seriously die of shock if I ever see anyone else use a treadmill.

I've been going for a year and honestly I have never felt like I shouldn't be there. They say hi when I come in, and the only comment I have ever heard was when I was leaving once. I was covered in sweat and one guy pointed to me, the guy he was with was like yeah, she does an insane workout. I was like :D
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    go early in the morning. i've always noticed a different atmosphere around 5am, less onlookers so to say
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member

Way to go! Slow and easy does it. You'll be totally at home there soon.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    I was an exercise phobic, I made excuses left right and centre to not do it... then 3 weeks ago I joined the council run gym, I go when its a little quieter...

From what you have said it sounds like you could do with improving your self esteem...

think of what you have achieved and what you can do...

look at this as a new adventure...

think of the gym as another room to your home...

after all we all go to the gym for the same reason... to be fit and healthy...

I don't go to stare at other people, I go to work out... my bits wobble all over the place... I look like an over ripe tomato when done... but hey... I am working on me and I am worth it...

Are you worth it?
  • andiroot
    andiroot Posts: 43

baby steps are the best way to do it and make it stick! i feel like you in a gym, in addition to big boobs and a ttoal lack of grace when it comes to anything athletic, i am heavily tattooed so everyone stares. i put in head phones, write down my workout before i go in and ignore the world. my gym actually has a movie theater with cardio machines so it helps to feel like i can be distracted and also to be in the dark. but starting off small and working up helps a lot!!

also remember you are going to the gym because you love your body, not because you hate it.
  • mwiechel
    mwiechel Posts: 77 Member
    I've been going to the gym for 10 months now, and I still feel this way sometimes! My biggest problem is that I don't know what to do when I get to the gym. So I've started taking my workout videos (p90x, and ChaLEAN Extreme) to the gym with me. I set up my portable DVD player, or lap top and just do my thing. However, when I started going, I had friend to go with and that made me feel more comfortable. DO you have any friends you can go with and work out together?

Just today, there were two women working out together and they kept laughing, and I swear they were laughing and talking about me! But of course I have no proof of that, and it is my own insecurities coming out. I tried to ignore them and push through my workout and get it done. On the flip side, there are people I see every time I go to the gym and we have become "gym friends" and they have become very encouraging to me and a friendly face while I am there.

If you need an online buddy, I'd love to help support and encourage you through this, just friend me! YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    It's amusng - the one day I had a later PT session and finished just as all the yummy-mummy brigade parked up their Chelsea Tractors outside my gym, I had to run the gauntlet of looks up and down ... and this was after having kicked myself in the butt and started back at the gym 3 days a week early mornings, so I had been coming for quite a while but had always left before the trendy mums and howling Tarquins arrived.

My (inward) reaction? "Yeah look, bizatches... this is what happens when someone OWNS their life... jealous much?"

I pay my money every month and have every damn right to be in THAT gym, on THAT machine and IN THAT THERE pool whenever I frickin' feel like it.

That's what I tell myself when I have to do battle with those who want to swim in the exact same place every time, to those who want to use the cable machine, to those who eye up my kettle-bells for my strength session, to those who want THAT spot in front of the mirror when I am working out with my resistance bands.

End of.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    I'm sure I would feel the same way! I am super spoiled with a complete home gym (thanks to hubby, he uses it too off and on) and it is a lifesaver and means I have NO excuses. I know not everyone has the $$ or space, but for toning and such, a small set of weights/resistance bands and workout dvds should be enough. There are plenty of things you can do in small spaces without a lot of equipment.
  • keatsgeckos
    keatsgeckos Posts: 15
    Great news. A good personal trainer will support you and make you work hard. I too am shy, but working with a personal trainer was exactly what I needed to not only work effectively with the equipment but also get over the hump of being intimidated. The more you go to the gym, the quicker you'll be a regular :)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member

That's brilliant! Well done :D

I have a similar frontage issue (well all of me wobbles but they have a life of their own!) and I've found that a tight fitting compression vest like this: http://www.distance.co.uk/distance-web/images/products/detail_popup/887.jpg on top of my sports bra and under a normal t-shirt really helps.
  • ccdishman
    ccdishman Posts: 3
    Actually they don't I go everyday and workout with a room full of guys and if anything the respect what you are doing for yourself, not bashing, just get out there and do it for yourself, I am the biggest girl in the room and People never give me anything but a nod and sometimes a good job ;)