THIS ONE IS FOR THE FEMALES...

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I once did not get my period for ten months. Then I had a baby.

:huh: yea....same here.....unless there is a serious medical issue, this should not be happening

That's not necessarily true. The issue does not have to be serious.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Another cause of missed periods is habitual, excessive exercise. While regular exercise is important for maintaining a healthy weight and preventing obesity-related diseases, excessive strenuous exercise can prevent the release of estrogen, which is required for menstruation.

Estrogen

Excessive exercise, especially when coupled with a poor or abnormal diet, can prevent menstruation if the woman's body fat is lowered too much. When body fat percentage is too low, the ovaries stop producing estrogen, which in turn prevents menstruation. During the beginning of a woman's menstrual cycle, ovarian follicles produce the hormone estrogen. Estrogen causes the lining of the uterus to thicken in preparation for the implantation of a fertilized egg and signals the most mature follicle to release an egg. If the egg is not fertilized by a sperm within its 24-hour lifespan, the body sheds the uterine lining, resulting in menstruation. Without the necessary body fat that leads to the release of estrogen, a woman will not menstruate.

advertisement

Sponsored Links

Want Rapid Weight Loss? Power-Boost Your Metabolism With A A Simple Thyroid Fix! Learn More. Thyroid-Weight-Loss.com

Body Fat

A missed period is a strong indication that a female athlete's percentage of body fat is too low. While there is no hard rule on what body fat percentage is considered too low for all women, the minimum body fat percentage for normal ovulation is around 17 percent. Most experts in the medical community believe that a healthy body fat percentage for women is 22 percent. A health professional can measure body fat several ways, including measuring skin thickness with calipers and using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry.

Cutting Back

Women who exercise a lot and have missed a period should decrease the intensity and frequency of the workouts. If the cause of the missed period is too much exercise, simply cutting back on the intensity and frequency of the workouts will help. Following a consistent and healthy diet will also help normalize the body's body fat percentage.

Professional Help

Even if strenuous exercise is the likely cause for the missed period, sexually active women should always take a pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy. Women who have previously menstruated but miss three or more periods in a row, a condition referred to by the medical community as secondary amenorrhea, should see a medical professional. Treatment depends on the cause of the secondary amenorrhea, which the doctor will determine by performing a physical examination, conducting tests and asking lifestyle questions. Secondary amenorrhea may simply be due to exercising too much, for which the doctor will recommend a normal exercise routine and nutrition plan. However, secondary amenorrhea can also be caused by a serious medical condition, such as a thyroid disorder or polycystic ovarian syndrome, which require professional treatment.

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/521190-can-exercise-cause-a-period-to-be-missed/#ixzz2TxDZantE
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I lost mine for a couple of years while I was struggling with anorexia. But you said you aren't underweight so I'm not sure what would be causing that. Have you thought about going on the pill to help regulate your cycle? That's what they ended up doing for me.

This. My friend had that problem and they had her go one the pill and she's much happier.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Going on 4 years without a period. Oh wait. They removed my uterus.

:huh: Well, this is awkward. :huh:

I'd get a second opinion.
  • Alarista
    Alarista Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It can be hormonal, I do agree, I would get a second opinion.

Not getting your period can be serious, or non-serious. it can be everything from hormonal to cancer, go see an OB-GYN. Doctor's are PRACTICING medicines. Some of them don't know their butts from holes in the ground. Keep talking until someone believes you or explains it to your satisfaction.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    la la la la laaaaa!
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

:huh: yea....same here.....unless there is a serious medical issue, this should not be happening
    Mine stopped one day, out of the blue, and my doctor had no idea why. I used to be able to know down to a few hours window when I would start next month. Yes, I had a partial hysterectomy later on, but that was unrelated. It was actually discussed years before this happened.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I regularly lose my period, and trust me, i'm not under weight. It's hormone fluctuation, or so i'm told. My dr. told me he can't figure out WHY i'm losing my period, but I seem to be healthy. I got 13 viles of blood drawn, a physical, and internal and external ultra-sound to figure it out, and the only thing that came back was that my stress hormone cortisol was high. Just go for a check-up with your gyno. It could be as little as changing your birth control.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've never had that issue. I would check with the Dr and make sure it's not something hormonal. I know being underweight or very over weight can affect our cycles, but I have never heard about it happening when at a healthy weight.

the doc said my horomones are "suppressed"... do you know if that's related to diet?
  • freddi11e
    Options
    Going on 4 years without a period. Oh wait. They removed my uterus.

:huh: Well, this is awkward. :huh:

I'd get a second opinion.

lol... im going back june 17th... you're funny :)
  • freddi11e
    Options
    1. As suggested, please see another ob/gyn
    2. You may not ovulate... which means you may have one hella time getting pregnant if that's the case.
    3. Birth control to force your period may be advisable (was for me).
    4. This isn't totally unheard of. It happens more often than people may think. Don't freak, but see a different doctor and get some tests to figure out exactly what the cause is as it may directly impact your fertility and other health matters.

ya.. she said i'm not ovulating... which sucks.. because someday i want like 5 kids :/
  • respygirl
    respygirl Posts: 15
    Options
    I sometimes miss my period when I am working out a lot but one year is a bit extreme. I agree with the other ladies on here....get a second opinion :smile:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said to go to a different doctor. I had a friend who went though this. It turned out to be something totally unrelated to diet or anything like PCOS. It was cured with prescription meds, but it took her doctor a really long time to figure out what the problem was.
  • MaggieSeley
    Options
    I have the samething happened to me but it has been 2 months so far.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This doesn't apply to you but gaining weight caused me to totally stop my period. Cutting back my calories and losing weight made me start again after a month. I notice when I get above 250 my period stops if I continue overeating. I guess it comes back after dieting for a while.

What is your body fat percentage?
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've never had that issue. I would check with the Dr and make sure it's not something hormonal. I know being underweight or very over weight can affect our cycles, but I have never heard about it happening when at a healthy weight.

the doc said my horomones are "suppressed"... do you know if that's related to diet?

I think it could be. My hormones change when I am dieting so I start my period, so yours could go in the opposite direction because you are thinner.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Mine are getting lighter but haven't stopped. Hope you get it figured out. Good luck.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Wow! that's a long time with no answers... I'd be very concerned! You are going to a GYN/OB right? There are meds they can give you to try and start your period. Please demand answers, you don't want to mess with your organs if you want kids later!
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    PCOS