APPLE CIDER VINEGAR?!

Options

Replies

• HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    It's great for cooking pulled pork. A couple cups of ACV and a couple cups of Apple Juice. A pork shoulder (salted and browned). A crock pot. About 8 hours on low. Nice.

I also enjoy the taste of it with baby carrots. One of my favorite snacks is a bowl of baby carrots and a shot glass of ACV.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lkl891eV7f1qax3azo1_400.gif
  • tressieazbill
    tressieazbill Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Since I can remember I have been having apple cider vinager with sliced cucumber and salt and pepper..Its really good and apple cider has alot of great benefits..I give it to my kids and they love it!
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It is excellent in pulled pork. Highly recommend.

Edit: And Coleslaw!

I agree!
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It tastes horrible but it will destroy warts. I had two on my left middle finger cuticle area for over 20 years. They had been frozen, cut, you name it and always came back quickly. ACV took them off and they've stayed off for over a year. It hurts like hell while using it, though.

This! I have had a few warts on my fingers and I use ACV to get rid of them. It hurts when I cut into the root, but it doesnt hurt to apply the ACV. The best is that it doesnt scar like freezing or burning will.

I use it for my athlete's foot too, works really well.

Yes! It IS good for skin problems. I use it on my feet too. Sounds funny, but it's great as a foot soak with listerine :smile:
  • cdefries
    cdefries Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great in any sort of bbq sauce!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I've actually come to like drinking ACV. Adding some lemon or honey at first can help with the taste.
    Do I think it's a magic bullet? Absolutely not. But, there seem to be lots of health benefits to drinking the UNFILTERED vinegar.
    I add 1-2Tbs. to a liter bottle and sip on it at work.
    Here's an entry from a blog I love about the health benefits, with references, http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2012/02/health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar-acv/

THIS! I just posted on my facebook today how I am addicted to ACV. I drink it every morning in a cup of hot water with 1/2 a lemon squeezed in lieu of coffee and again at night. I love it! I don't think it really helps lose weight, but it does keep your body at a proper PH level so why not? I don't use it as a fad or a diet tool, I use it to feel better, cleaner and satisfied without caffeine.
  • Janet4Art
    Janet4Art Posts: 7
    Options
    I have used it a lot in my adult life. It is touted as being just about a cure all for what ails ya. But I don't think it is, and I don't think it does much to help with weight loss, unless it slightly suppresses the appetite.

I use it if I get a sore throat. It seems to nip a sore throat in the bud pretty fast. What I do is put a capful or a bit more, in a mug of water and sip it all day. And I put a bit in my glass of water at my bedside at night.

It seems to have some health protective qualities, but no, it is not a cure all. Look it up and try it for what you feel you need it for. Might help.
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I read that it was great for dogs skin and coat and helps keep fleas away so I tried putting a little in their water and food. Both of them refused to eat or drink until I switched for ACV free food and drink. I tried it once myself to relieve heartburn and it did NOT work. So, now I'll sometimes add it to a salad or marinade but mostly I just use it as a fabric softener.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Ohh heeellll nahhhhh That stuff is Nasty with a capital Nast!!! I tried marinating some skirt steak with that stuff and Blaaahh it Smells bad too!:sick:

^This
  • FrancesGallagher
    FrancesGallagher Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There is a book written by Dr. D. C. Jarvis titled "A Vermont Doctor's Guide to Good Health" that tells of many Vermont Folk Medicine remedies, which includes using apple cider vinegar. This book was written in 1957 and is probably long out of print, I have had a copy of it for years and have not re-read it recently. It is true that apple cider vinegar was used with a sweetner (maybe plain sugar ??) as a drink, rather like lemonaid, in hot weather and when farming people where haying or doing other manual labor in the fields during hot weather; this was a way to quench their thirst. People at the time this book was written and were part of the rural scene (at least in New England) where soda and gatoraid were not part of the culture yet, made do with what was available at the time.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Wow - so many responses. I didn't think it was a "cure all", but she told me the girl had lost 20lbs. because of it, however I don't personally know the person myself, so it could many other things that have helped with the weight loss, like exercising and diet :)

I see that some people have found it to be good? I'll have to try for myself. It doesn't sound too yummy, especially with what others have wrote, but it's worth a shot (I'd like to try it to help my skin, too). also, if it helps with "crashes", my body could definitely use it for I have low blood sugar.

Thanks all of you for the tips and responses. :)
  • Pammilla2000
    Pammilla2000 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It can't hurt! I like to mix up a concoction of water, Bragg's ACV, honey and lemon extract, tastes like lemonade, although Bragg's also makes a couple of ACV drinks as well. I like to think it helps keep things moving along....

YES!!! I love this mixture, it assists greatly with getting excess water out of you.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it for weight loss, specifically, but I do like to add it to my water every so often when I don't feel like drinking plain water.

I add about a tablespoon of ACV to 16 oz (or more) water and then squeeze in a wedge or two of lemon.

I like the taste!

Ditto. Each day I put two tablespoons of Braggs ACV into a large tumbler, add lime juice and down it goes. Does it help? Who knows, but with some trace elements as long as it's heavily diluted I see no harm.

In the UK we can't buy ACV with the mother, I have to order mine on line.
  • narconoodle
    narconoodle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had digestion issues so I was always bloated and my stomach always protruded no matter what I did....well after discovering ACV and drinking it at least once per day my bloating is gone. I can actually see the 6 pack I bust my *kitten* in the gym for finally showing through. A lot of older adults take a teaspoon or two every day! I say give it a try. It's pretty gross and strong but I've gotten used to it and the benefits outweigh the nasty taste!
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Ok here is the skinny on apple cider vinager. It does have health benefits, and does aid in weight loss. Not a magic bullet at all but it does aid. People see something say helps loss weight and automatic want or expect miracles. What it does is help clean your liver of bile. Less bile means your liver works better and there for it and the gallbladder has an easier chance on dealing with fats entering the body. That said it doesn't turn fatty foods into fat free foods. Crap in crap out no matter how well you liver functions. ACV can help improve organ functions to aid against stones, insulin production and other liver or glablader related issues. So does furmented foods like sauerkraut. It is an aid not an answer. Eating right, exercising is a must to see a real lasting change. There is no one perfect food to health it's a balance of many. The organic apple cider vinger can be one of the many foods that we can use to make good choices to break down fat. I recommend it. Water it down drink with a straw or pickle cucumbers with it and sprinkle chili powder on them
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    Personally, I love apple cider vinegar, but I haven't put it in my water yet. However, I DO use it (mixed with water) as a toner for my face. It's great! Very gentle.
  • surreygirl23
    surreygirl23 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

In the UK we can't buy ACV with the mother, I have to order mine on line.
    Oh yes you can!

I buy a brand called Biona Organic from my local (independent) health food store, organic, unpasteurised, unfiltered, oak matured, with-the-mother. £2.29 for a 750ml bottle.

They're based in Kingston, not far from me and have a website. www.biona.co.uk
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    eat less and move more....and save the apple cider vinegar for cooking
    stop it with that common sense it has no place here.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I love vinegar. I like my food to have a low pH, because hydrogen ions taste great. I add vinegar, usually wine or cider vinegar, to practically everything I cook, and to pretty much all the salad dressings I make. (I sometimes use lemon juice instead)

I have done this for most of my life. i got obese while consuming a lot of apple cider vinegar, and I also got back to a healthy body fat percentage while consuming a lot of apple cider vinegar.

it doesn't do anything except add flavour and increase the concentration of hydrogen ions in your food.

Honestly, if weight loss was as easy as drinking water with apple cider vinegar in it, doctors the world over would prescribe it and that would be the end of the obesity epidemic.