Crazy Salad Combinations

Options
iKapuniai
iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
I often buy a boring (but delicious!) grilled chicken caesar salad from one of my favorite local places in my area, but the other day I was feeling rather adventurous and decided to order something different. My new salad consisted of:
-Spinach
-Bacon bits
-Feta cheese
-Tomatoes
-Red onion (it said carmelized, but it was raw, which was perfect cause I prefer raw red onions)
-Walnuts
-Red pepper italian dressing

It sounded very odd to me at first... I wasn't sure if I liked it or if I was afraid of it, but I decided to try it anyway.

LOVED IT!! Went out the same day and bought all the ingredients to make it myself, and it turned out wonderfully! I used shredded parmesan instead of feta, but love love loved it! Here's a pic of my own version (with some grilled thin cut steak on the side):

20130518_202237.jpg

I'm always looking for different ways to fix up my salad instead of always having the same boring things every day...

Does anybody else have any salad recipes or ingredients that doesn't exactly sound like a good combination but really is?
Would love to hear other peoples' ideas/recipes!

Much Love and Alohas to you all,
-Ihilani Kapuniai

Replies

• janisskoczylas
    janisskoczylas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My favortie salad at the moment is mixed greens, onions, cukes, almonds, mandarin oranges and sesame ginger dressing. Add chicken for protein.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Not a crazy combo, but lunch today is a chard, kale and spinach salad with cucumber, red onion, tomato, sugar snap peas, beats, feta cheese, sliced almonds and dried cranberries. I topped it with some lemon pepper and homemade balsamic dressing. Yum.
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    There is one I buy prepackaged that I tried on a whim and loved it. It has spinach, dried cranberries & pears, pecans that are sweet/spicy, feta with balsalmic vinaigrette. I've tried to recreate at home but cannot find a dressing that tastes that good.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The looks amazing.

I've been digging the steak and bleu cheese crumbles on mine. I think tomorrow I will also add strawberries and almonds to that combo.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    The looks amazing.

I've been digging the steak and bleu cheese crumbles on mine. I think tomorrow I will also add strawberries and almonds to that combo.

I like strawberries and almonds in my salad too!
  • vyanadevi
    vyanadevi Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Nothing too crazy...dried cranberries, sliced almonds, few pine nuts, mixed greens, spinach, steamed frozed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn and green beans), olive oil, balsamic ving...these days...sometimes the same salad added tomatoes and cucumbers, or apples, other days same salad with jerk chicken...ooooohhh soooo yummm....
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    romaine, black beans, avocado, tomato and feta crumbles (or manchego if you have it). You could add chicken or shrimp. I don't personally like any salad dressing but my DH eats with Ranch.

Baby spinach, strawberries, shrimp with champagne vinaigrette.

chicken, grapes, rosemary and walnuts mixed with a bit of mayo/mustard
  • Uhhhlexxxis
    Uhhhlexxxis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was feeling adventurous the other day and made a spinach, beet, garbanzo bean, and feta salad with a little peppadew mustard. Crazy yummy.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    There is one I buy prepackaged that I tried on a whim and loved it. It has spinach, dried cranberries & pears, pecans that are sweet/spicy, feta with balsalmic vinaigrette. I've tried to recreate at home but cannot find a dressing that tastes that good.

I do one like this. I use spinach and lettuce, feta, pecans, cranberries, then I mix balsamic vinaigrette with an apple-poppyseed vinaigrette and it's perfect. So good. Add a little chicken that has marinated in balsamic vinegar and it's even better.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My favortie salad at the moment is mixed greens, onions, cukes, almonds, mandarin oranges and sesame ginger dressing. Add chicken for protein.

^This - minus the onion .... add snap peas & chow mein noodles

Also - mixed greens, pecans, gorgonzola cheese, tangy apples, and dried cranberries. Either apple cider vinegrette or cranberry vinegrette.

Also - spinach, walnuts, strawberries and grilled chicken .... orange ginger dressing.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Had a boxed salad like this from Trader Joe's and decided to make it at home:

spinach
    cooked red quinoa (cold)
    chick peas (garbanzos)
    dried cranberries
    shredded carrots
    slivered almonds
    low fat carrot ginger dressing
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    im all for weird combos, i swear i empty half my kitchen into my salads! it dates back from my childhood, i used to wrap cheese cubes in fruit rollups.
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    sunflower seeds, bacon bits, mozzarella cheese with spinach salad, and kraft greek vinagerette :smile: :smile:
  • lorieric5037
    Options
    Sunflower seeds, lo fat cottage cheese & spinach/artichoke cream cheese...yum!
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I copied this one from a Whole Foods magazine the other day. I haven't tried it but thought it looked good.

Brussels Sprout Salad with Avocado and Pumpkin Seeds coated with Lemon Dijon Dressing.

Or for a variation add blood orange segments and swap toasted pecans for the pumpkin seeds. Toss with shaved fennel and celery root. (The Brussels Sprouts were torn apart into leaves.)
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I had a strawberry poppyseed salad at Panera yesterday for lunch--strawberries, pineapple, blueberries, mandarin oranges, citrus marinated chicken, pecans, on top of mixed greens and a fat free poppyseed dressing. UH-MAY-ZING. Summer in a salad. It was PERFECT.

My OTHER favorite? The Chik-Fil-A Asian salad. Mixed greens, green and red cabbage, mandarin oranges, honey-thai almonds, wonton strips, chik-fil-a nuggets, and honey sesame ginger dressing. Mmmmmmm.....
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    No lettuce salad......

Shredded carrots, sliced celery, (thawed) green peas*.... add sesame ginger dressing. Peas are high calorie ....I use 1/4 cup...snap peas are higher fiber if you got 'em.

Celery can also be replaced with (thawed) french style green beans..... don't use regular (thawed) green beans..... waters down your dressing.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    chuck e cheese hero salad. (it's a hero, because it saved me from pizza when I could't afford those cals)

Lettuce (for crisp)
    Spinach (for healthy)
    Tomatoes (for fresh)
    Olives (for salty)
    Bell Pepper (for flavor)
    Hard boiled eggs (for protein)
    Ranch dressing (only a little for sticky and creamy)
    Sunflower seeds (only a lot for transforming this salad completely)
    Croutons (only a little too cause you need more room for the seeds which are the star of this salad)
    I'm always looking for different ways to fix up my salad instead of always having the same boring things every day...

When I'm planning to have lots of salads and want variety I go with a less is more approach. Meaning I only put two or three flavorful things on it at once. That way the next day I have lots of choices that I haven't already eaten. So like say one day I put the lettuce and then I get only bacon, tomatoes, and ranch. Following day put the lettuce and only bell peppers, olives, and oil/vinegar. Next day use spinach instead and maybe only put the egg slices, thousand island dressing and croutons. Less ingredients=more variety.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Popped Popcorn,Diced Celery,Diced Onion,Water Chestnuts,Slivered Almonds,Bacon Bits,Shredded Cheddar Cheese,Poppyseed Salad Dressing
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Tag for later!