Need Serious Food Help

IrishChik
IrishChik Posts: 465 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I need some serious help. I am having a bad day, and the funny thing is, I just want to eat. Good thing I am not!
I am on food assistance. I get $200 a month. Today I was informed it has been dropped to $16! WHAT? Nothing has changed since my last evaluation so I am praying it is just a mistake. I am a full time college student, on summer break. To make ends meet I am a freelance writer. I am trying to make full time income off of it but it is hard when you have to find jobs. Being self-employed is not all it is cracked up to be, but writing is my dream.

My fiancé, who I live with works part time, he is a student as well, and he also gets $200 a month. His daughter is with us Fri, Sat and Sun.

So 2.5 people live off of $400 a month. And sometimes we can't stretch it.

We need this help until we are both done with school.

We don't have a local paper that carries Sunday coupons and printed coupons from the net still cost more than the store brand. We shop at bargain stores and sale items when we can.

Having this cut literally in half is already starting to stress me out.

As we know fresh produce and healthier alternatives cost much more.

I just do not know what to do. I need to get a menu plan, budget plan and food price lists all set up. I also need LOW COST healthy meal recipes.

You guys have any advice???

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    maybe you could get a part time job also. it sucks but gotta do what ya gotta do
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    $400/month is that all for groceries for 2.5 people? If so that is a lot. My wife and I eat very healthy and spend under $300/month for 2 of us. Try buying fruit and veggies that are in season, as well as whole wheat pastas. Lentils and beans are very good for you and cheap. Buy them in a bag dehydrated and you just have to soak them for a short-time prior to cooking. Brown rice can also be fairly cheap as is couscous. Buy meat in bulk and eat less of it with each meal that you eat it.

I'm not sure where you buy but I find eating healthy, unless you are buying organic everything, much cheaper than eating pre-packaged crap. Re-evaluate what you buy and you should be able to find at least 20% savings of stuff you don't need or have cheaper alternatives (instead of minute rice you can buy 3 times as much regular rice, as an example)
  • missboriken
    missboriken Posts: 52 Member
    Hope this website will help with ideas!

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    I'm SO sorry to hear what has happened to you. I sincerely hope and pray that it is a mistake. Don't be afraid to confront the powers that be.

Secondly, you get kudos for going after your dream of being a writer. Too many of us dream and never do.

As to help and ideas: this is harder, of course. But a few I can think of immediately --

Beans are an excellent protein source, as well as being high-fiber. You can't go wrong with a dinner of red beans and rice, or mexican food made with beans instead of meat.

Sometimes grocery stores will mark down produce that is starting to go bad--bananas that are turning brown, tomatoes with a bruise that can be cut off, and you can take them home and either eat them immediately or cook something that can be frozen. The grocery store I shop at also marks down milk and meat (1/2 off!) on the sell-by date, and again, you can freeze them. (Skim milk freezes nicely--milk with fat in it separates and you need to shake it up.) You have to haunt the aisles every day, but it can keep you in produce and meat.

I have a prayer list that I keep up and I am going to put you on it. I sincerely hope you find the cut has been a mistake.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Check out your local food banks. They can help! Just do a search online or call your local Emergency Assistance Program office.

Good luck to you! Hopefully that *is* a mistake. Wow. :(
  • fitnessfoodtravel
    fitnessfoodtravel Posts: 32 Member
    Hello,

There are tons of things you can buy for cheap that are healthy:
    1) Oatmeal
    2) Dried beans and other legumes
    3) Whole wheat pasta
    4) Large containers of plain yogurt
    5) Eggs
    6) Tofu
    7) Buy chicken and other meat when it goes on sale and freeze it

As for fresh produce, it is so cheap to buy! I slashed my grocery bill by 40% since I stopped buying crap like Skillet Sensations. The trick to to look at the flyer and buy what's on sale. Some fruits and veggies always tend to be cheap:

1) Apples
    2) Bananas
    3) Buy frozen when it is on sale
    4) Celery
    5) Bean sprouts
    6) Eggplant and zucchini
    7) Spinach in a cello

Also, look at portion size. I used to eat a whole chicken breast and now cut it down to about 1/3 or 1/2 cup and that is sufficinet and filling.

As for other things, flax seeds or meal tend to be cheap for omega 3's.

Things to avoid: granola and protein bars; make your own with oatmeal, supplements (whey, maca, etc.), "organic" cookies (they are still full of sugar).
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    What state do you live in? Are groceries super expensive there? My boyfriend and I spend $250/month on groceries. We have his two children four days a week. They are 5 and 6 years old and we never run out of food.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Maybe you could make your diary public so users can look at it and give your pointers on where you could save by changing things up.
  • mercyr80
    mercyr80 Posts: 13 Member
    are you in a warm state? maybe start your own garden :)
  • If you have some dirt, try planting a garden. It doesn't have to be the worlds largest garden either.
    In our little community, we've started a co-op too. Where we all put in $X and then dig/grow a little plot.
    Just a few tomatoes, green beens, various herbs, peppers, egg plants and whatever else we argue about and decide to grow.
    And we just go out a grab it when we feel the need - to supplement our own stashes. It's great and cheap (and did you say fresh ?)

If I had my own plot of land, I'd definately be doing this, but add potatoes, corn, peas, etc.

My wife and I also order a box of veges (and meat) from a local co-op of farmers. All the local farmers put together a box of stuff (like kale, boc choy, potatoes, tomatoes, beans ... just whatever is in season) and then every thursday, we go and pick it up from the local delivery spot. You can pay a little more to get what you want, or, just see what happens. It is not expensive by any stretch of the imagination, in fact, I think it may be a little cheaper then publix etc. The meat is definately cheaper ...... it's like "whole paycheck" oops, I meant "whole foods" quality at or better than the "kroger/publix" price
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    I ditto getting a part time job. Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do to make it happen. After I graduated I couldn't find a full-time job and had to work my part time job I had in school and at Wendy's. It was humbling, but it paid the bills!

I use www.mypoints.com to earn points for gift cards and I also print coupons off that save me money and accumilate points.

I also ditto the beans. You can get a bag of dried beans for next to nothing! You can watch the sales at grocery stores as well. Cut out anything that is not essential (soda, liquor, expensive snack foods, frozen meals, paper plates, bottled water, etc.) Also remember that buying bulk will sometimes save you money, but you have to watch that price per ounce!

My biggest tip would be to plan, plan, plan so that when you go to the store you have a list and you don't get off track and buy impulse items! You can also go through your list and see if you can get a cheaper alternative for each item. I would also look in your cabinets when planning meals to see if you can use what you already have.

If you really need to, you should check out your local food pantry. I work for a food bank and could possibly help you locate one in your area if you don't know of one!

I also agree with growing your own food. I just started a container garden since we live in an apartment, and I'm very excited for things to grow!! Plus, it was super cheap!

Good luck!!
  • Rhaeven
    Rhaeven Posts: 123 Member
    I have a house hold of 5-6 people (14yr old, 10yr old, 7yr old, my brother and I, and usually kids friends, and my best friend and her kids eat with us several times a week) and and I feed everyone for around $400-500 a month, usually less but I've had a tiny bit extra the last 2 months (this month is a WHOLE different story though). I always have lots of fruits and veggies around here. I start in the produce section and buy what is cheapest and then kind of plan the weeks meals around what I can find cheaply in the produce department. I hit up the bulk bins for rice, beans, pasta and any other dry goods and spices that I need. Then its off to see what I can find meat/protein wise that is fairly cheep. I rarely buy anything processed, and no junk. I also don't buy food for lunch..I just make large batches of dinner so we have left overs for that, that saves me a bit of money as well. I do buy cereal for the kids for breakfast, but they don't get to snack on that all day.

It works out pretty well, but takes a lot of work. I try to go shopping early in the morning so I don't have a lot of people to fight around the aisles with. It makes it much easier for me to concentrate on what to buy. I take a calculator, and a paper. Sometimes I start with a menu of meals, and then take it with me so I can adjust my menu and list to fit what is cheaper. I also only go shopping once a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks if I find good deals on meat and vegs, but I have an extra freezer in my storage room on my back porch...was the best purchase I ever made. lol

Good luck, and just keep at it...it is doable!!
  • I'm a Stay at home mom of 4 and we also have my mother here. I buy groceries for 7 of us and spend about 400 a months that's including diapers, and bathroom products.

We have meatless meals about 4 days a week. I also shop at Aldi I love this store! I'm not sure if your area has one but it's worth checking out. They even have a fit and active line. I still have to read the labels and see what they think is healthy but for the most part that line is all good.

I go to the farmers market and check out prices and try to get the best deals I can for fresh produce. Check out your local small farms. Some will trade services for food. My sister just found some here locally that I am going to look into this coming year. Rice used to be a big money saver for my family. But now my youngest is allergic to it so we no longer have it anymore. So it's mostly whole wheat pastas and things. I always check out my local store ads. You can look those up online. I also have friends that go to ebay for coupons. There are couponing websites to teach you how to get product dirt cheap a lot of times even free. Try google. Also look for bulk foods a lot of times you can save money there. Gardening is another great option. You can even grow somethings all year around in your home.
  • Mellie13
    Literally just opened Yahoo! and saw this article. Hope it helps!

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/408/12-things-college-students-dont-need/
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    i dont understand how all of you do it. We spend easily 800-1000/month and there are only 3 of us.
    You need to find a part time job in a food place. Like a Subway or something like that. Or advertise and watch dogs or kids for tax free money.
    That is CRAZY! Make bulk like everyone said. Soups, chili, oatmeal, rice, beans BBQ, etc all go far for days. Also only buy whats in season. Coupons do normally suck or are for junk.
    Make your own ice cream (its cheap) for a treat and fun with the kid. Make cookies etc from scratch (can make them heathier). Rice Krispy Treats go far. Make your own ice cream sandwiches.
    Learn to play 1 food into a few meals. Like make a whole ham, use parts for breakfast, lunch meat and dinner meat. Buy a whole chciken or even turkey and again use all the pieces for many meals. Its expensive initially but that ham could feed you guys for days..

Good luck!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Hopefully it was a mistake.

I might get negative feedback for this, but people who are having problems with money should look at their priorities.
    Necessities and luxury's

Internet, cell phone, cable, are not necessities, but a luxury.
    Having 2 dogs cost money. That money is food taken away from you, your OH and child's mouth.

If you want to have the luxury's and pets, you should get a part time job. if you can't get the money, then take a luxury until you can afford it.
  • Mellie13
    Hopefully it was a mistake.

I might get negative feedback for this, but people who are having problems with money should look at their priorities.
    Necessities and luxury's

Internet, cell phone, cable, are not necessities, but a luxury.
    Having 2 dogs cost money. That money is food taken away from you, your OH and child's mouth.

If you want to have the luxury's and pets, you should get a part time job. if you can't get the money, then take a luxury until you can afford it.

No negative feedback from me!! I agree!
  • Not sure where you live...check out farmer's markets or food cooperatives or community garden projects. Try localharvest.org to find resources in your area! Good luck...you can do it! Buying in bulk and making more of your own meals vs. buying processed and prepackaged food saves and is healthier!
    http://www.localharvest.org/
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    I agree with others as to what foods are healthy and cheaper, I also agree that you shuld make your diary public so we see what your $ is being spent on and lastly, I agree, we eat, we do NOT restrict ourselves and spend about $300 a month with household products. We stock up on non-parishables when on sale. We keep kosher, which triples the cost of our meats and poultry and we do not eat vegetarian dinners. If we ate normal non-kosher protein, we would be getting by on 250 a month if I had to wager a guess. We eat out once a month, we never order in or have fast food. Are you spending any of the $400 on meals out of the home/lunch out, coffee, donuts, drivethrough?
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 465 Member
    maybe you could get a part time job also. it sucks but gotta do what ya gotta do

That's the thing. I have a part time job. Actually, I work every hour that I can. I am a freelance writer. I have one client that pays me a flat $500 a month, the rest are on a "piece by piece" basis.
This discussion has been closed.