I feel horrible. Stupid food binge.

Options
2»

Replies

• Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I did that last night too...just do a uturn and get back on track today : ) you can't change the past only the present.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Don't feel horrible, just mark it down, track it and move on. This isn't a 3 weeks of "Super Perfect eating and BAM!!! Goals Reached!!!" kind of thing. You'll be tracking and watching and weighing and exercise for the rest of your life...so get used to the occasional "binge" or party, or birthday cake, or buffet or whatever.

It's not the occasional that blows things out of the proportion, it's when we let the occasional become the norm. A double decker oatmeal creme pie and chocolate milk 2 times a day, on top of all my other bad choices is part of why I was the way I was...but that doesn't mean that now I can't have a double decker oatmeal creme pie and chocolate milk upon occasion.

Don't beat yourself up.
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    LOL! You got a lot of company and it is only stupid if you learn nothing from it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Being starved since work was too busy to eat

Treat it as a learning experience.

What does it tell you about your reaction to hunger?

What steps will you put in place to minimise the chance of it happening again?

Everyone falls. It is how we react to falling which determines how successful we will be...
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    Still have 5 hours of work to go. BUT I get to hit the gym then and I fully plan on a good long jog!

Where you live you will be getting a steam bath @ the same time! :-) I lived there when I was a kid.
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    First off, I wanted to thank you for all the heartfelt work you do...it helps and really matters. Second off, I feel you...I've been binging
    lately after 6 months clean. This is a lifetime journey...do some extra exercise, forgive yourself and move on. If forgiving yourself is an
    issue like it is for me, start a journal and write about your feelings so you don't eat them. You are learning to take care of yourself...
    celebrate that!!! I wish you the best... :flowerforyou:
  • ladyofbugglake
    ladyofbugglake Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that an occasional binge on junk food is actually good for the metabolism. I can't remember why it said this is.

I don't think it is a big deal. If you think about, our cavemen ancestors probably gorged themselves on sugary fruit when they came across it. They only came across large amounts very rarely, but they would eat as much as possible when they did.

But I do think that a junk food binge leads to another junk food binge, and then another. It is so addictive. Unlike our ancestors, another source for binge is everywhere. Just make sure to immediately get off the junk food cycle and recommit yourself.
  • bridgjones75
    bridgjones75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Blog it, then read it every time you feel like eating everything in sight. It will remind you of how you felt when you ate too much unplanned food. Then make a blog post when you were able to resist the urge to splurge. Remind yourself how great that felt.

Unplanned eating happens. What you do next determines your outcome. Sounds like you have a good plan to put a dent in the damage.
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    so you did something all normal humans do...i dont see the problem

a possible solution to your non existent problem is again what all of us normal humans do...adjust for the rest of the day or work it off. if i happen to eat 5 donuts in one go, i`ll just eat veggies for the rest of the day...especially broccoli and green beans and maybe a chicken breast grilled. sorted. i probably still wouldn't exceed my daily calorie requirements.
  • rizmaeram
    rizmaeram Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been there..sometimes it's too hard to resist.. but if you know how to control yourself you'll be fine it will take practice and most especially patience. just burn those extra added calories :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that an occasional binge on junk food is actually good for the metabolism. I can't remember why it said this is.

I don't think it is a big deal. If you think about, our cavemen ancestors probably gorged themselves on sugary fruit when they came across it. They only came across large amounts very rarely, but they would eat as much as possible when they did.

But I do think that a junk food binge leads to another junk food binge, and then another. It is so addictive. Unlike our ancestors, another source for binge is everywhere. Just make sure to immediately get off the junk food cycle and recommit yourself.

Agree with this. It happens to the best of us, and sorry but anyone who claims never to have overeaten, is lying and deluding themselves. As long as it just happens occasionally, it will not present a problem and might even give your metabolism a nice kick up the rear end if you are otherwise quite strict. It is easy to get so caught up in this site, and in keeping below this manmade calorie goal, that we forget that even naturally slim people have periods of overeating, naturally balanced out by periods of eating less.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    You will have a great carb-fuelled run later and feel great after it.

Try not to beat yourself up and don't throw in the towel and derail yourself because of one slip. Bear in mind for the future that letting yourself go that long without food can lead to a binge and try to make time to eat your healthy snacks.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sad thing is, there was healthy food in the fridge because I prepared it all. I guess that's why I feel so absolutely horrible with food guilt. I'm a 911 operator and am often tied to my chair without a break if it's busy. I messed up and forgot to go to the kitchen and bring some sort of healthy meal out at the start of the shift prior to the insanity broke loose (fight after fight call, stabbing and an attempted escape from the jail). Soooo, when she brought in the food and sat it arms length from the desk...well....you know.

Seriously looking forward to the gym. That's for sure! :)

Could you keep some healthy snacks @ your desk that don't require refrigeration. I have an entire bin at my desk full of snacks.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It happens. And in my experience, it happens a lot easier when you're already tired. Not too long ago, I ended up buying and subsequently eating an entire load of buttered garlic bread because it was on Manager's Special. I went to the store after working a 12+ hour shift (after working two months of such shifts with six day weeks), so my mind was mush and my resistance was low. I wised up about halfway through the loaf and tossed the rest, but by the same token, I had already eaten half a loaf. I completely blew my calories that day, but I went on a long run the next day to burn off what I had eaten. I haven't suffered any long term ill effects (except for a lingering feeling of "what was I thinking"). Shake it off and get back on track. These things will happen, but don't let it derail you.
  • courtlaubner
    Options
    Don't worry about it too much. It's just one bad day. One time I ate a box and a half of Little Debbie Swiss Rolls and 7 Oreos, plus two peanut butter sandwiches and more every meal than needed. But it was just one day. It didn't kill my progress. I just vowed to not over-do it like that again, even though stuff happens and it might again. As long as it doesn't become a common reoccurrence it'll be alright. Keep your head up! :)
  • goldenhamster28
    goldenhamster28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with others - you're being too hard on yourself and generalizing that you are a failure based on one event. You're just human!!! When something like this happens to me, I try to focus on the fact that I can't change the past but can only change the future and then exercise more/eat less the next day.

What also has helped me is that I don't always deny myself certain foods. For instance, I used to drink soda every day. Had I gone cold turkey, I would probably have one day caved and then went back to drinking regularly. Instead, now if I ever want to drink soda, I just factor it into my calorie count. Ironically, I almost now never drink it.