Eat before or after exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I can't exercise on an empty stomach, I just feel tired easily and can't push myself hard so when i work out in the morning I have something very small - e.g. handful of nuts, small banana just as a energy boost and I do a much better work out, but my husband is the opposite and cannot exercise after eating so I guess do what feels best to you
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if eating before or after exercising makes a difference in metabolism and fat burning. Any thoughts would be welcome.

After.

http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/11/13/study-suggests-that-for-optimal-fat-loss-the-best-thing-to-eat-before-exercise-is-nothing-at-all/
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I eat before, but not a huge meal. I feel like I don't have enough energy to push myself hard if I've eaten nothing.
  • sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For fat loss...after.

Here is why. You muscles use glycogen as its first source of energy. Once the glycogen stores are depleted you muscle move on to metablising fat for energy. Typical glycogen store last between 2-3 hours. It it has been 3+ hours since your last meal your body will tap into fat stores sooner.
  • mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    For me, I eat a light snack (usually a few peanut butter and crackers) somewhere between an hour to 30 minutes before I work out. When I finish working out, as soon as I cool off, I eat. By the time I get cooled down good, I am starving!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    This depends on your goals and when you are working out. Maybe you could provide us some more details to help answer the question.
  • sar24
    sar24 Posts: 20
    Options
    After...
  • lrobrn
    lrobrn Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks to all for your insight.