SEXIST friend.

Options

Replies

• lwright0001
    lwright0001 Posts: 16
    Options
    Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Pardon, & Emmy Lou Harris do a beautiful version of Neil Young's After The Gold Rush.
    Belly, with lead singer Tanya Donelly, do a really cool version of the Jimi Hendrix song, Are You Experienced.
    The Cowboy Junkies covered the Velvet Underground's Sweet Jane. Lou Reed said it is "the best and most authentic version I have ever heard".
    Patti Smith doing Bruce Springsteen's Because The Night, although, they may have co wrote that...?
    Anyway, the point is, your "friend" is an idiot.
  • teamike
    teamike Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Keith Whitley "When You Say Nothing At All"
    Lorrie Morgan redid the song after Keith died and did it well.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Run by Snow Patrol, covered by Leona Lewis.

ETA: I covered "If You Remember Me" originally done by Chris Thompson on my album, and it was pretty good. I sing "guy songs" all the time...Jason Mraz, Michael Buble, The Killers, Jet, The Beatles, etc.

Also, your "friend" sounds like a douche.

This is hard for me to believe, this is one of my favorite songs....but I will check it out because you suggested it.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put so much effort into this.

Just tell him to go **** himself and/or eat a bag of ****s.

Exactly this.

You don't need to prove yourself. The fact that you are trying so hard to do so gives him the upper hand.

Also, the original should never be compared to a cover. The original always wins, no matter who its by (imo).

i wouldn't say the original always wins, but it certainly takes a lot to overcome the original. imo
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I honestly cant think of a single one.
    I hate being put on the spot like that.

I love to be put on the spot....sometimes it is hard to find.....
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Metallica's 'Nothing Else Matters" by Bif Naked.

Keith Whitley's ""When You Say Nothing at All" by Allison Krause

Any song at all, that you want to sing...
  • Emmiejayne90
    Options
    Adele - Make you feel my love!
    Originally Bob Dylan!! The Dylan cover is amazing but the Adele cover is equally good!
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Ellie Goulding's cover of Elton John's 'Your Song'

Listen to it and see if you can bring yourself to disagree!
  • oh2bhealthier
    Options
    Not only would I not waste my time trying to prove something to a sexist (he's likely never to agree anyway) I certainly would waste any further time with that "friend." Pick people for your life that support you no matter what (even when they disagree with you). Avoid folks who seem to have no greater joy than telling you what you CAN'T do.

Best of luck with the performance
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Carrie Underwood did I told you so by Randy Travis. He came out and said that she did it better himself. Now I love Randy Travis and I am usually one to prefer the original versions better, but I can't decide who did it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbycvUQzVD8
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The Outfield did Your Love in 1985 but the Butchies did it over in 2004 and i think it was a hell of a lot better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpyeq-umnu0
  • Diana8923
    Diana8923 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Ain't No Sunshine - Eva Cassidy !!!
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Carrie Underwood did I told you so by Randy Travis. He came out and said that she did it better himself. Now I love Randy Travis and I am usually one to prefer the original versions better, but I can't decide who did it better.

Posted this one last night. I think Carrie does it better.
  • tiffany484
    tiffany484 Posts: 17
    Options
    Ellie Goulding's cover of Elton John's 'Your Song'

Listen to it and see if you can bring yourself to disagree!

^^ This - LOVE that song. However, I wouldn't say its "better" just different, and well done.

Also - I'm in a rock cover band and sing all SORTS of songs originally sung by men and the crowd loves it

Queen - Fat Bottom Girls
    Queen - Tie your Mother Down
    Led Zeppelin - Ramble On
    Aerosmith - Last Child
    Jet - Cold Hard B*tch
    Poison - Talk Dirty
    Audioslave - Show me how to live
    Buckcherry - Next to you
    And the list goes on...
    Do what you want - forget your "friend"'s opinion.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Sorry I didnt take the time to read through all of the other posts! I think if I had to pick I would pick her.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Go with Paint It Black. Someone on American Idol also performed it very well. It's a great choice for a female vocalist.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

Sorry I didnt take the time to read through all of the other posts! I think if I had to pick I would pick her.

No apology necessary. Just was agreeing with your song choice. Love her voice. Easy on the eyes as well.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Anyone remember that teen pop singer Jojo?

She is all "growed up" now, her version of Drake's "Marvins Room" is pretty fantastic.

I feel weird knowing that...
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones was covered by Vanessa Carlton, and I love both versions! :)
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Cat Steven's The First Cut Is The Deepest", redone by Rod Stewart, then redone again by Sheryl Crow

Bruce Springsteen's "Because The Night", redone by Patti Smith, and then redone again by Natalie Merchant with 10,000 Maniacs

Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U" redone by Sinead O'Connor