Diet tips that don't work

Options

Replies

• operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hate it when people say "how did you do it" with regards to my weightloss..

I did it the only possible way: calories out was less than calories in - via a combination of diet and exercise.

Asking someone how they did it is what brought me here :) I'm thankful she didn't have the same view as you.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I read an article on some website called mindbodygreen.com. It was promoting a book called Wheat Belly. The author of the article said that a Mom told her that her kid was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and she took wheat out of his diet, and it cured him. It really ticked me off. I wanted to punch my computer in the face. Did I mention the author of the article has a degree in English?!

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9484/why-wheat-is-ruining-your-life-the-author-of-wheat-belly-explains.html

I have a few co-workers who are anti-carb. One read "Wheat Belly" and was really moved by it, but didn't force her opinions on us. I have another who thinks that those who eat carbs are no better than those who drink, smoke, swear, and skip church on Sundays. Which is funny, since she isn't low-carb in her diet at all. And she knows I'm not trying to lose weight, per se. I'd love to lose a few, but my goal is to live a healthier lifestyle. And I don't believe in cutting out whole food groups. And she still takes it upon herself to lecture me on the evils of carbs every time I pull out my sandwich for lunch or my crackers for a snack. I wouldn't be so annoyed with it if she didn't already know my feelings on the subject and didn't keep persisting in telling me how wrong I am all the time.
  • McGruber03
    McGruber03 Posts: 113
    Options
    I read an article on some website called mindbodygreen.com. It was promoting a book called Wheat Belly. The author of the article said that a Mom told her that her kid was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and she took wheat out of his diet, and it cured him. It really ticked me off. I wanted to punch my computer in the face. Did I mention the author of the article has a degree in English?!

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9484/why-wheat-is-ruining-your-life-the-author-of-wheat-belly-explains.html

I have a few co-workers who are anti-carb. One read "Wheat Belly" and was really moved by it, but didn't force her opinions on us. I have another who thinks that those who eat carbs are no better than those who drink, smoke, swear, and skip church on Sundays. Which is funny, since she isn't low-carb in her diet at all. And she knows I'm not trying to lose weight, per se. I'd love to lose a few, but my goal is to live a healthier lifestyle. And I don't believe in cutting out whole food groups. And she still takes it upon herself to lecture me on the evils of carbs every time I pull out my sandwich for lunch or my crackers for a snack. I wouldn't be so annoyed with it if she didn't already know my feelings on the subject and didn't keep persisting in telling me how wrong I am all the time.

Oh dear, how do you make it through lunch without smacking her?! (j/k). But really! I hate it when people force their opinions on me! I am a freaking dietitian for goodness sakes, and people love to ask my opinion, then tell me why I'm wrong. It happens all of the time. I just started telling co-workers "Well, if that works for you". Most of them are significantly overweight. When it comes to the fads, like avoiding all wheat...fine. Do it, get your fiber from fruits and vegetables. But to say that it CURES type 1 diabetes? I was so mad!
  • megstoo
    megstoo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    >>>1) Muscle weighs more than fat so if you gain weight, it's just muscle (FALSE: a pound is a pound-- muscle just takes up less space) <<<<

I actually am going to disagree with this statement... Muscle does weigh more than fat and it's not always the pounds on the scale that make the difference, it's also the body fat percentage.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    "White bread makes you lose weight because they take all the calories out of it and that's what makes it white."
    no joke.

lolol
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Fat free or low fat food is healthier for you. Meat is bad.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Anything that Dr.Oz says is a miracle diet does not and will not work!!! IMO
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    3) Never eat carbs because they automatically become fat. The Adkin's diet is the only way to lose weight (FALSE: carb restriction is a personal choice. I restrict my carbs to under 145 a day because of insulin resistance, but I do not eat less than 80. Adkin's is not the ONLY way to lose weight)

Are there any other "diet tips" you've heard that make you cringe?
    [/quote]

Yeah, this is ridic. I know there are good and bad carbs..but i've heard that a lot of people on Atkins have gained the weight they've lost back and it only works as a part-time solution.

And i've also heard the muscle weighs more than fat one too much too.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    You have to eat a lot of small meals to keep your metabolism burning.

You have to eat breakfast to jumpstart your metabolism.

You cant eat after a certain hour.
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    nice!
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options

I figure you Steelers fans would be goofy enough to fall for those Dr. Oz gimmicks! hahahah
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    before finding the true Secrets of the worlds greatest Bods..20 years the ABSOLUTE WORST DIET IS A HIGH PROTEIN LOW CARB DIET BAR NONE...once I stopped this crapolla all the fat melted off and lean muscle was gained..and still gaining:)
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options

I figure you Steelers fans would be goofy enough to fall for those Dr. Oz gimmicks! hahahah
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    funny! Go Giants
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    before finding the true Secrets of the worlds greatest Bods..20 years the ABSOLUTE WORST DIET IS A HIGH PROTEIN LOW CARB DIET BAR NONE...once I stopped this crapolla all the fat melted off and lean muscle was gained..and still gaining:)

False. Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for others. Works great for me. 50/20/30 prot/carb/fat is best mix I've found for hunger, weight loss, and lbm retention.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Fat free or low fat food is healthier for you. Meat is bad.

One of many sources that would argue otherwise:
    http://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/Food/Fish/HealthBenefits.aspx

OP's "tips" are absolutes, dealing in black and white, all good diet tips are on the grey scale. All carbs do not automatically become fat, they are used for energy and the excess is stored as fat, for example.
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Don't eat meat with bones in it. I can't exactly see the logic behind this. I mean, you'll eat a boneless chicken breast, but it definitely had bones in it before someone pulled them out.

The same person who told me the above also talks at me about how I should be eating organic, only shops at the most expensive Whole Foods-esque store in town, and has also gained about 20 pounds. Just because it's "healthy" doesn't mean it has no calories.
  • terlyn20
    terlyn20 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    1. no fruit at breakfast
    2. no fruit before lunch
    3. no fruit after 12 pm
    4. watch the fruits they'll make you fat.
    5. no white at night
    6. eat carbs at dinner ( will help you sleep better )
    7. dont eat carbs at dinner ( because of insulin )
    8. eat like a king for BF, Prince at lunch and Pauper at dinner
    9. dont eat dinner at all
    10. dont eat breakfast
    11. eat your breakfast, its the most important meal of the day.

my problem with the do's and dont's is that they all have come from Dr. Expert....and are in his/her book and are gospel until there not.
    to many rules and too much contridiction makes me want to scream. the best advice i ever got was
    EAT LESS and MOVE MORE!
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The word "Diet" in and of itself makes me cringe.

eat good food for life.

make it a lifestyle not a quick fix
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    The worst BS I see on a daily basis is someone trying to sell somebody something to "detoxify" their body.

I certainly hope they're selling you a liver and some kidneys because those are what detoxifies your body...